Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't believe this worked... *UPDATE*

Insert Coin (Level 0) GOLDEN KEYS's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spazmonkey View Post
    You could always just you, know, fix the drive. You just need a new laser, they sell them on ebay, for under $20.
    yeah... and what happens in six months when i get the RROD on this old refurbished/recirculated xbox and my warranty is up? no more money is going into this piece of junk.

again, i understand the options. fix it or buy a new one.

i'm really more interested in hearing peoples experience using toothpaste or other methods to take care of scratches on their disks.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Does it have any healing properties on rouge non-working Dreamcast games?

Those are a pain to revive.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally I'd just get a new xbox or get it fixed, instead of banging on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

You could also try to stop being a dick to people offering you good advice
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    You could also try to stop being a dick to people offering you good advice
    I agree.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    I agree.
    how about you two grow up and stop looking for attention on internet message boards by being big tough internet bullys.

if you recall, i'm not the one who started "being a dick".

oh wait, sonicwolf called it giving "friendly jabs". yep, that's all i'm doing.

how about you try being mature and just let it go instead of trying to pick a fight with me?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

I am not picking a fight.

You need to learn to grow a sense of humor when on the internet. I am not a bully.

Nice how you quote me when I didnt even say what irked you that time.

I must apologise. Next time im on the boards here I will be extra pleasant towards you. I wouldnt want you to mistake my actions has being mean or bully-like anymore.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am not picking a fight.

You need to learn to grow a sense of humor when on the internet. I am not a bully.

Nice how you quote me when I didnt even say what irked you that time.

I must apologise. Next time im on the boards here I will be extra pleasant towards you. I wouldnt want you to mistake my actions has being mean or bully-like anymore.
    honestly, you're not even clever enough to be insulting. to me, it's just a laughable situation.

skaar makes sarcastic remarks to me and i do the same to someone else. he says i'm "being a dick". how would you describe his comments to me, then? you, on the other hand, take shots right at me and yet that's not "being a dick" either.

what a joke. it was completely unnecessary for you or him to come on to my post about using toothpaste to fix scratched disks and start with this nonsense.

pick someone else to flame. i deal with trolls enough on the espn boards, i didn't know these boards were littered with them, too. if you have a problem, PM me and let's chat. same goes to anyone else who is set on discussing this.

otherwise, let's be mature and keep this thread on topic.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

God, everyone get the wax out of your ears. I read this thread and it got full of mis-reading, REAL quick.

This isn't the phone, this is the internet, you can re-read what you read.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by GOLDEN KEYS View Post
    honestly, you're not even clever enough to be insulting. to me, it's just a laughable situation.

skaar makes sarcastic remarks to me and i do the same to someone else. he says i'm "being a dick". how would you describe his comments to me, then? you, on the other hand, take shots right at me and yet that's not "being a dick" either.

what a joke. it was completely unnecessary for you or him to come on to my post about using toothpaste to fix scratched disks and start with this nonsense.

pick someone else to flame. i deal with trolls enough on the espn boards, i didn't know these boards were littered with them, too. if you have a problem, PM me and let's chat. same goes to anyone else who is set on discussing this.

otherwise, let's be mature and keep this thread on topic.
    Ok fine. But look how long I have been here. If I was really nothing but a troll and an internet bully I would have been banned LONG ago.

Now to your topic. I have tried the toothpaste thing twice before. Both times with dreamcast games. Neither of them worked. I think it was my Dreamcast as they are a bit flakey when it comes to reading disc's anyways.
    DERP

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We have a motto around these parts...

Don't mess with Sonicwolf or he will eat your ass for lunch! Wait, I think I said that wrong...

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Good gravy.

People, take a chill pill and let this bickering go.

And SonicWolf, you might have been here since 2004, but for someone who's been glad to point out numerous times over the last few months that almost all of your 2400+ posts have been since January. Hard to be banned for being a troll/internet bully when you don't post for 4 years. Just saying....

**Back on topic**

I don't use toothpaste, I use a buffing compound sold in music stores to work of scratches (that have been put on by my system). Honestly most anything will work that can fill in the scratches as well as dry clear and not mess with the laser trying to read that data. As they keep doing stuff to toothpaste (adding whitening and all kinds of other stuff) I don't know what kind of effect it would have on the disc, so I stick with something formulated for discs.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    And SonicWolf, you might have been here since 2004, but for someone who's been glad to point out numerous times over the last few months that almost all of your 2400+ posts have been since January. Hard to be banned for being a troll/internet bully when you don't post for 4 years. Just saying....
    (Good point. Ill just close my mouth now about the previous crap... After I apologise. I have been having a very bad week.)

I came off a bit of an ass didnt I? I am sorry Golden Keys for being a jerk and I hope first impressions dont weigh with you heavily.

I am also a bit afraid to do toothpaste on disc's again. Forgetting that it hasnt worked for me in the past, I am afraid that whatever is in the toothpaste could be detrimental to the discs materials. It could eat away at the plastic or something. you Never know.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have tried the toothpaste thing twice before. Both times with dreamcast games. Neither of them worked. I think it was my Dreamcast as they are a bit flakey when it comes to reading disc's anyways.
    Usually, it only works with non-gel toothpaste.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmus View Post
    Usually, it only works with non-gel toothpaste.
    What would you define as "non-gel"?
    DERP

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I posted this elsewhere, but I swear by it. If you have a scratched disc/CD, I recommend Brasso. Now then, this is a METAL POLISHING liquid. It's an abrasive - a very mild, fine abrasive. And if you use this method, you're gonna scratch the hell out of your CD. But it works much like the toothpaste without all of the gloopy paste. This is a technique I picked up from a DVD restoration board:

1. Take a lint-free cloth and pour a small dab of Brasso on the cloth.
    2. Using a finger, wipe the Brasso in a straight line from the inner hole to the outer edge, working your way around until the CD is coated. Continue around again so you've done it twice. (There is no need to add any more Brasso. One good dollop at the start will be enough.)
    3. Let it dry to a fine haze.
    4. With a clean corner of the cloth, start wiping the Brasso off from the inside out, just as you applied it. Make sure to remove it all.
    5. Once the Brasso is removed, spray some Windex or other cleaner on the CD and gently shine it up.
    6. If there is a deep scratch or mar, use a bit of elbow grease on it to "buff" it out with the Brasso. But always work from the inside out. Do not work in little circles or anything like that.

I have used this technique to bring many many games, DVDs, music CDs, etc. back from the dead. I have only had this trick not work twice (but both were horribly damaged to begin with). Now then, as stated, you're deliberately scratching a CD to hell (even though the scratches are very, very fine - the CD will appear hazy when done as if it's been resurfaced) but this will work 95% of the time. But I would NOT recommend this for a game disc that's valuable or irreplacable. For that, have it resurfaced.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Soooooo, for anyone still interested, I went ahead and gathered up all the extra video game junk I had lying around the house that's been collecting dust and made a trip to Game Stop.

Bought a brand new Xbox 360 Arcade, brand new copy of Halo 3, preordered a copy of Halo 3: ODST and also paid for a one year membership at Game Stop. After all of my trade ins it cost $20 bucks and change. This was my first experience trading stuff in at Game Stop (besides when I traded a few games for that second copy of Halo 3) and really I was fairly pleased.

I got $35 for an original PSP (I bought it used from a friend a couple years ago for $40) along with Marvel Ultimate Alliance and GTA Liberty City Stories (not sure what I got for the two games). They gave me $60 for my old Xbox 360. I got $21 for each copy of Halo 3. Also traded in Super Smash Brothers Wii, Spider Man Web of Shadows Xbox 360, NBA 2K8 and a couple other older 360 games. Not sure of what I got for everything but I don't think I got hosed too bad... everything I traded in was stuff I don't use anymore.

So, problem solved for me (for now, at least) but thanks for everyones input on repairing scratched discs.

Oh yeah, my luck ran out with that toothpaste trick. I got more scratches on the discs which prompted the trade. I was surprised they gave me so much for the beat up discs, though.

I came off a bit of an ass didnt I? I am sorry Golden Keys for being a jerk and I hope first impressions dont weigh with you heavily.
    No hard feelings and thanks for the apology.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by GOLDEN KEYS View Post
    No hard feelings and thanks for the apology.
    Thanks.

Im surprised they gave you much credit for games at all. Up here in Canada, their other chain, EB Games, rips people off as much as possible. I got a 1.50 for GUN for the 360 when it was only a year old. Ridiculous. (Just as bad as Resident Evil 4 bought off for 2 bucks)
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well...

I wanted to give an update on my new Xbox 360.

I didn't have any problems with the system until the release of ODST. I got the game the day it came out, brought it home and played it for awhile. The next day I turn the 360 on again and...

"Open Tray"

That's right, after only three months of use, the disc drive is shot on my 360. I'm sending it off to Microsoft for a repair tomorrow. I'm going to call first and request that they fix this console rather send me some old refurbished one... does anyone know if they ever do that?

I really thought I'd get a lot more use out of this console before I would have to get into the process of switching them out every few months with Microsoft. I'm pretty disappointed but not surprised.

And yep... the games still work if you tap on the top of the console while it's loading, but I only did that once or twice. I don't want to risk ruining anymore discs.

Anyway, if I wasn't covered under warranty still I think I'd be ready to move onto the PS3.