Thread: Intellivision and Colecovision prices?

Insert Coin (Level 0) GOLDEN KEYS's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Intellivision and Colecovision prices?

I found a guy off of craigslist who is looking to sell a Colecovision for $40 (system only) and an Intellivision for $35 with fifteen games.

I've been trying to snag both of these off ebay for awhile now but they always go for too high and they also come with those "AS IS" / "UNTESTED" warnings.

I replied with $60 for everything, which I don't think he's going to go for.

I know I'd get the best prices at a flea market or garage sale but I haven't had any luck yet.

Is $75 for everything a fair price?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by GOLDEN KEYS View Post
    I found a guy off of craigslist who is looking to sell a Colecovision for $40 (system only) and an Intellivision for $35 with fifteen games.

I've been trying to snag both of these off ebay for awhile now but they always go for too high and they also come with those "AS IS" / "UNTESTED" warnings.

I replied with $60 for everything, which I don't think he's going to go for.

I know I'd get the best prices at a flea market or garage sale but I haven't had any luck yet.

Is $75 for everything a fair price?
    I can tell you that I've got 3 colecovisions and I'm weary of trying to sell them because they're a bit flakey as all cv's seem to be after all these years. They sure don't hold but like some of the older systems like the 2600 do. Make sure to see the colecovision working at his house before you buy it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

When it comes to Colecovisions, when you go to pick it up get him to plug it in and try it out. I went through four of them before I found one that actually worked reasonably. Cheap construction and components means that they're even less reliable than an NES console bought in a thrift store. The fourth Colecovision I bought was boxed, and it does get graphically glitchy when I turn it on, but pushing the reset button makes that go away and I can really play it. The first one was glitchy and giving it to a collector to have him take it apart and clean it didn't help. The second and third didn't even come on.

The most obvious thing to worry about with the Intellivision is if the controllers are worn out. The first Intellivision I ever got was from a co-worker who wore out the tracers inside the controller that make contact with the direction disc. And the buttons barely worked. Luckily, he also gave me a catalog flyer sent to them from INTV, and they had replacement controllers. Ah, INTV mail-order. Good times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so, the guy says he'll do $70 for everything and he'll throw in a few colecovision games. he says they're both in great condition and i'll be able to test them out before buying.

we're meeting up saturday. i'll keep you posted...

thanks for the heads up about the system defects... i'll be on the lookout for faulty intelly controllers and a flakey coleco!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

by the way, i just noticed that the guy made this comment about the colecovision in his initial post to me... (copied and pasted directly from the email) -

The colecovison would be $40 for a nice clean working complete one.

fingers crossed...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

by the way, i just noticed that the guy made this comment about the colecovision in his initial post to me... (copied and pasted directly from the email) -

The colecovison would be $40 for a nice clean working complete one.

fingers crossed...
    Hopefully he's a collector with some technical expertise who fixed it up because "working" is a different definition to different people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    Hopefully he's a collector with some technical expertise who fixed it up because "working" is a different definition to different people.
    yeah, hopefully. he actually wasn't advertising anything for sale on craigslist but he did make a post saying something about "thanks to everyone in az for making me the number one collector of vintage video games in az, i have spent $3000 this month on vintage video games." i emailed him after that just to see if he had anything extra he'd be willing to sell or trade...

i think i might just get the intellivision... tomorrow is 50% off at all goodwills in my area and there have been some items i've had my eye on at a few of them that i want to save my cash for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

to anyone who might be interested...

i ended up just getting the intellivision. after getting the heads up about the controller issue, i passed this concern on to him. sure enough, he tested it and said they weren't very responsive on the one he was going to sell me so he sold me an intellivision 3 instead. the system works great and he threw in seventeen games with overlays for about half of them. $30 for everything...

i'll probably be looking to buy his colecovision next weekend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Which Intellivision games did you get? I ask because the Intellivision III was the later model put out by INTV Corporation, so hopefully you'll have some late '80s INTV era games to go with it. You can tell by the fact that they all have white labels on them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

to anyone who might be interested...

i ended up just getting the intellivision. after getting the heads up about the controller issue, i passed this concern on to him. sure enough, he tested it and said they weren't very responsive on the one he was going to sell me so he sold me an intellivision 3 instead. the system works great and he threw in seventeen games with overlays for about half of them. $30 for everything...

i'll probably be looking to buy his colecovision next weekend.
    Good deal. Test that colecovision thoroughly. Both controllers. Watch for strange characters on screen. The power supplies and power switches are both common failure points.

One hint for gaming on a cv: you can plug a standard atari joystick into port 1 and a cv stick into port 2. This way you can play without cramping your hands and still use the necessary keypad buttons to start your game.