Thread: U.S. games with PocketStation support?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default U.S. games with PocketStation support?

While posting in another thread about Ridge Racer Type 4, I gots ta thinking about Sony's first portable game "system," and how several U.S. publishers retained PocketStation support in Japanese-developed titles under the mistaken belief that Sony would release the PocketStation in the States. (Sony never did give a good reason for not doing so; I assumed it was because Sony feared the PocketStation would be unfavorably compared to Sega's Dreamcast VMU.)

While I know that oodles of Japanese games support the PocketStation, I can only think of three U.S. games that do:

Final Fantasy VIII
    Raycrisis
    Ridge Racer Type 4

Which one(s) am I missing?

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Crash Bandicoot 3 was supposed to have it, but since I don't have the game I can't check. It *might* be in the manual though.

Seems like there was one more, but it might be Ridge Racer that I'm thinking of.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Achika
    Crash Bandicoot 3 was supposed to have it, but since I don't have the game I can't check. It *might* be in the manual though.

Seems like there was one more, but it might be Ridge Racer that I'm thinking of.
    I checked the Crash Warped manual, and no mention of the PocketStation, but I'll boot it up with the PS in place and see what happens. Thanks for the lead!

-- Z.

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

I have an old PSM Magazine that says Dragon Warrior VII was supposed to feature PocketStation support. No clue if it does or not, and I didn't see anything in the manual either.

Kristine
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Ugh, apparently the support was only for the Japanese release. Here's a list from VGLQ:

Final Fantasy 8, Ridge Racer Type 4 , CB: Warped (Japan Only), Gran Turismo 2, Street Fighter 3 Alpha, Theme Aquarium, Rival Schools 2, Wipeout 3, Pocket MooMoo, Pocket Dungeon, Go! Pirates, Poporo, IQ Final, and Countdown Vampires

Not sure if the GT2 & Wipeout 3 would be only in Japan releases like the Crash or if they are in the US version as well.

http://www.vgstore.com/ps/40320.htm

I just wish I could remember where I read/heard about the 3 US games that are the only ones to feature Pocket support. I could have sworn Crash was on that list. Oh well :/

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

My sis has Chocobo Dungeon (2?) and in the manual it has some blurb about the Pocket Station, as if it were assuming a stateside release. She was quite broken hearted to hear that it wasn't and even in Japan is supposedly hard to come by.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Achika
    Ugh, apparently the support was only for the Japanese release. Here's a list from VGLQ:

Final Fantasy 8, Ridge Racer Type 4 , CB: Warped (Japan Only), Gran Turismo 2, Street Fighter 3 Alpha, Theme Aquarium, Rival Schools 2, Wipeout 3, Pocket MooMoo, Pocket Dungeon, Go! Pirates, Poporo, IQ Final, and Countdown Vampires

Not sure if the GT2 & Wipeout 3 would be only in Japan releases like the Crash or if they are in the US version as well.

http://www.vgstore.com/ps/40320.htm

I just wish I could remember where I read/heard about the 3 US games that are the only ones to feature Pocket support. I could have sworn Crash was on that list. Oh well :/
    Some of those games on the VGLQ list, I didn't know about, so that'll keep me busy for a while. Pocket MuuMuu, I have, and it's GREAT -- tons of PocketStation games and the Jumping Flash! engine are guaranteed happy-joy time.

-- Z.