Thread: Better Protection from Dead Beat Bidders

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Better Protection from Dead Beat Bidders

I don't know if an idea like this would ever work...but I think Ebay should make it so if someone buys something, than they HAVE to pay for it within a certain amount of days, or PayPal takes the money from their account and automatically gives it to the seller. I mean, why not? PayPal already forcefully takes the money away from the seller if the buyer files a dispute or claim. There are too many buyers out there who take over a week to pay, or never pay at all...and it costs the sellers time and money. Ebay just doesn't crack down on dead beat bidders hard enough. Giving them a "strike" on their account will do nothing, because all they have to do is create a new account once they get three strikes. Also, they don't have negative feedback anymore due to Ebay not allowing sellers to leave buyers negative comments...so all buyers look like they have perfect feedback, making it impossible to tell which one's are dead beats. If a bidder knows that their money will automatically be taken away from them by PayPal if they don't pay within a certain amount of time, they would be much less likely to buy something that they don't intend to pay for....and that would seriously cut down the amount of dead beat bidders on Ebay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Maniac View Post
    I don't know if an idea like this would ever work...but I think Ebay should make it so if someone buys something, than they HAVE to pay for it within a certain amount of days, or PayPal takes the money from their account and automatically gives it to the seller.
    Yeah, that's an ideal solution in a perfect world, but we all know that's not the case. So what happens when an angry kid uses his parents' account to buy some cars on ebay motors? Ebay is going to force the parents to lose $100k? Think of all the hacked account that happen daily, then give the hackers the power to lose the account holder's money with a few mouse-clicks. It'll never happen.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem is that ebay and paypal make mistakes. And they seem to do it a lot.

Now imagine they have the power to remove whatever money they want from your account simply because they think you owe someone something. And with their awesome customer service, good luck getting your money back if they're wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, realistically the idea would never work...I was just letting off some steam cause I have been dealing with an usually high amount of dead beats lately. Ebay really needs to come up with some better ways to protect sellers from buyers though. The buyers have too much power over the sellers right now...which is probably why the amount of dead beats has been increasing.

I think Ebay should at least make it easier for sellers to remove unfair negative feedback. Something that has happened to me at least a couple of times, is a buyer will buy something and not pay, than I will re-list the item and sell it...than a week or two later, the dead beat will finally pay for the item, but I'll have to send his money back cause I no longer have it. He'll get pissed off and leave negative feedback, and when I ask Ebay to remove it, they say, "Sorry, that doesn't qualify for feedback removal".
    Last edited by VG_Maniac; 06-21-2009 at 06:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I feel this...

Let's say a seller stipulates X amount of days to send payment. If the time passes and the buyer does not pay, the buyer automatically looses his/her chance to leave feedback, the seller gets refunded all of his fees, AND the seller gets the option to leave negative feedback to the buyer.

It should be easy for Ebay when a buyer pays, so these options should be done automatically.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Apparently the buyer looses the privilege of leaving feedback if the seller files an unpaid item dispute, and the buyer doesn't respond to it after a certain amount of days...which results in the dispute being closed and the buyer getting a strike on his account. Unfortunately, you can't open a dispute until 8 days after the auction ended, and Ebay won't close the dispute and give the buyer a strike for another 5 or 6 days (something like that). Hell, I've had buyers leave negative feedback just for me opening a dispute in the first place, or simply sending them a payment reminder. Their reasoning for leaving the bad feedback was because they thought I was being too "pushy".
    Last edited by VG_Maniac; 06-21-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My idea regarding feedback was that buyers & sellers are only allowed to leave positive feedback. Negative feedback would be given automatically at the end of a claim. So if you file an Unpaid Item claim, at the end of it Ebay would give the buyer negative feedback simply stating "Did not pay for auction won on x/x/xx by x/x/xx." Same thing if you file a SNAD against a seller. Negative feedback would all be automated and based solely on tangible evidence, not just "He didn't wrap my game in the comics section of the newspaper but in sports, that's a negative"
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

There is so much that Ebay can do to fix this, yet they don't do anything about it.

Sellers should leave negs for deadbeat buyers, but at the same time prevent sellers from giving "retalliation negs". This is very easy to do, but Ebay won't do it because it means actually WORKING for a living.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Sellers should leave negs for deadbeat buyers, but at the same time prevent sellers from giving "retalliation negs".
    The only people who complain about retaliation negative feedback are buyers only. The fact is (or was, since sellers can't leave bad feedback anymore), sometimes a stupid neg left for a seller is reason enough to leave a neg for the buyer (thus, retaliatory).

I've received plenty of negs like this over the years. For example, buyer wins and pays, I ship, they receive, and leave a neg like "I didn't like the item" out of the blue, no email, no anything, through no fault of my own. The transaction was fine until the feedback part, and the act of leaving the feedback means the buyer deserves a neg of their own for obvious reasons (thus, retaliatory). This is not a bad thing and it pisses me off that I no longer have the power to do this.

The fact is, feedback itself is a broken system and there is no way you will be able to please the sellers AND people who only buy. I think ebay realizes this, which is why they now use the DSRs, but that itself is broken, too, so who knows.