Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best/Worst Generation of Consoles?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    For me, the late 70's and early 80's were the pinnacle of video games. Its Atari - number 1. Period.
    Yes, a very true spoken comment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I'll go with the NES generation as the best. The innovations in home gaming brought there were tremendous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    1973 - 1984 = so-so

1985 - 1998 = AWESOME!!!

1999 - Present = Great.

You just can't beat the time period from when the NES was released through when the N64 was in its prime as far as classic games go.
    The problem with that is that is the topic is best/worst generations and those dates given encompass more than one Generation respectively.
    DERP

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by AB Positive View Post
    This is true, but you're forgetting - this is based on *generations* not specific systems.

Yeah, so you get the PS1 and the few gems on N64. Saturn has a good japanese library but the US side is crap. Now ON TOP of these, included in the generation you have:

Atari Jaguar
    Panasonic 3D0
    Phillips CD-i
    Bandai Pippin
    NEC PC-FX

So yes, the PSX was/is a great system. But it's own generation has some SEVERE drag factor that, in my mind, makes the "32-bit" generation one of the worst. The PSX was the shining jewel, the N64 and Saturn has it's positives (and I LOVE the saturn)...

but wow. Look at the above lineup they get grouped in. Ouch.

Now look at the "16-bit" era:

Sega Genesis/CD/32X (the 32X and CD could be considered a bit of drag factors themselves...)
    Super Nintendo
    Turbo Duo (if you want to put it here)
    Neo Geo
    Neo Geo Pocket Color (later made, but it IS a 16-bit system...)

and if you wanna be super technical...

Commodore Amiga
    Atari ST

You can't beat that. Few drag factors, LOTS of classics.

even with the crash period included, I'd put 32-bit era dead last. Second to last? Modern era - doesn't excite me in the least.
    I agree with almost this ENTIRE post, except:

I don't see why the Sega CD should be considered a drag factor, it has some really good games that haven't been re-released until recently. The Lunar Series, Sonic CD, Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Dark Side, Silpheed, Final Fight CD, and more. Although there aren't many original games, a lot of Genesis ports and FMV games, the Sega CD still sold a good 6 million units, which is GREAT for an add-on system.

The 32x is probably considered drag, yes, but I like it. There are one or two gem games on there, like Star Wars Arcade and Knuckles Chaotix. But there is a lot of crap in that library. The 32x could really be considered the only drag of the 16-bit era.

I actually think last generation would be second-to-last. The Gamecube library was meh for a Nintendo console, and the Xbox was pretty bad too. This generation has the Wii and Xbox 360, which aren't too bad.

I think for the most part, you can tell the age of the person by their response. For me, the late 70's and early 80's were the pinnacle of video games. Its Atari - number 1. Period. Everything else is a pretender to the throne, that includes the mighty NES.

Genesis? Please
    Super Nintendo? Nothing Super about it.
    PS1? Try PS-none.
    N64? Nice try.

The 90's were the worst generation for gaming, followed closely by the bile we have today. Gaming, true gaming, died in the 80's. The last great console was the Turbografx-16.

Current Gen: Overpriced regurgitated garbage on the worst built hardware EVER.
    That's probably the most jokish post I've seen in this thread. Do you really think the Turbographx-16 was the last good console?
    Last edited by Baloo; 06-22-2009 at 08:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Maniac View Post
    Why would you consider the Turbografx-16 to be so great, but not the SNES or Genesis?
    Its all relative. I owned a TG-16 when they first came out and was wowed by Legendary Axe, Military Madness, Alien Crush, and Blazing Lazers. By the time I tried Genesis and SNES everything was old hat. I compared everything to the TG-16 games I loved and, to me, they all fell short.

On Genesis I really love ONE game - Road Rash II (the others are good 2, thats the one I played)
    On SNES I only liked Tetris Attacks

I also liked games liked Williams Arcade Hits which both consoles had but thats a function of me being an old school 80's gamer, not the hardware it was presented on.

If I had owned a Genesis or SNES first perhaps I'd feel differently. But probably not I HATE that stupid Sonic the Hedgehog. Those games give me headaches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Fenris View Post
    If this isn't a fake post, it's amazing enough to be.
    Nope, not fake at all. Thats how I really feel. I'm 100% serious. Never really enjoyed any of those consoles. Some had ok games but none held any real appeal to me. I did most of my gaming in the 90's on PC's since the consoles held no real interest to me. To this day I don't own a modern or even semi-modern console. You couldn't pay me to own a Wii, PS3 or Xbox RROD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post

That's probably the most jokish post I've seen in this thread. Do you really think the Turbographx-16 was the last good console?
    Baloo, I own 3 consoles: Atari (2600, 7800, 8-bit), NES, and TG-16. Thats the latest console I have any desire to own. I will say that I do own 3 Genesis model 2's (because I frequently find them for about $3 each) but only because of one game - Road Rash II. The only other one I play is Williams Arcade Hits because of the excellent, almost arcade perfect Defender.

You're the second person to say I must be joking. I don't get it. I've owned every one of the 90's consoles I dissed because NONE of them held any real interest to me and sold them pretty quickly. I WANTED to like them but there was nothing there for me. I gamed on PC's in the 90's because of the lack of games that interested me on consoles.

The point of this thread is opinion. Nothing more. I stated mine clearly. However it is definitely NOT a joke. People can think I'm crazy or call me names or whatever floats their boat if they choose but that won't change how I feel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Baloo, I own 3 consoles: Atari (2600, 7800, 8-bit), NES, and TG-16. Thats the latest console I have any desire to own. I will say that I do own 3 Genesis model 2's (because I frequently find them for about $3 each) but only because of one game - Road Rash II. The only other one I play is Williams Arcade Hits because of the excellent, almost arcade perfect Defender.

You're the second person to say I must be joking. I don't get it. I've owned every one of the 90's consoles I dissed because NONE of them held any real interest to me and sold them pretty quickly. I WANTED to like them but there was nothing there for me. I gamed on PC's in the 90's because of the lack of games that interested me on consoles.

The point of this thread is opinion. Nothing more. I stated mine clearly. However it is definitely NOT a joke. People can think I'm crazy or call me names or whatever floats their boat if they choose but that won't change how I feel.
    You are probably the most picky gamer ever if there is really no games or consoles that interest you past the Turbografx-16.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    You are probably the most picky gamer ever if there is really no games or consoles that interest you past the Turbografx-16.
    I like one or two perhaps on each console. For example on N64 I kind of enjoyed 007 and Mario Kart. Certainly not enough to bother cluttering up my game room with one for a couple of games that I probably wouldn't play more than once every few months.

Is a food connoisseur "picky" if he doesn't like Dominoes?

Also, as strange as it sounds, I only collect for machines I owned when I was young and single. By the time I did own a Genesis or SNES, I was married and gaming in general took a huge backseat. However, part of that was because none of the games on those systems really appealed to me. I started PC gaming by that point and loved adventure games like Lucasarts came out with - Manic Mansion, Sam and Max, etc. They don't make those kind of games anymore.
    Last edited by Atarileaf; 06-22-2009 at 08:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

You said everything after TG16 fell short of the TG16's games and that you really dont like most of the games since. There have been tens of thousands of games and tons of systems since. Its not like not liking dominoes, its like Only liking Pizza Hut and forsaking every other restuarant on the planet.

Also dont take this as trolling, im just curious.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You said everything after TG16 fell short of the TG16's games and that you really dont like most of the games since. There have been tens of thousands of games and tons of systems since. Its not like not liking dominoes, its like Only liking Pizza Hut and forsaking every other restuarant on the planet.

Also dont take this as trolling, im just curious.
    I used to like Pizza Hut but they've gone down hill lately IMO.

Thats another argument though

I wouldn't say that I hate every game out there now but nothing Wows me like games back then did. There is certainly nothing on modern consoles that I enjoy. I'm simply not a fan of RPG's, First Person Shooters, or the annual sports games and those seem to be 90% of whats available. The only modern game I play is, again, on my PC and thats Sims 3.

Even now, sitting here thinking of just one game on the PS1 that I really enjoyed, and I can't. I can't think of one game that stood out to me where I say "I've got to get another PS1 so I can play. . ."

Its just not there.

Oh wait, I liked Crash Team Racing. I'm a fan of racing games and loved the old Need For Speed games but the NFS series lost its way in the tuner/underground thing.
    Last edited by Atarileaf; 06-22-2009 at 09:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

I'm a fan of racing games and loved the old Need For Speed games but the NFS series lost its way in the tuner/underground thing.
    I feel the same way. I liked Need For Speed when it was just plain old street racing. It was fun. I dont give a flying rats ass about pimping out my automobile. I just want to race.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I feel the same way. I liked Need For Speed when it was just plain old street racing. It was fun. I dont give a flying rats ass about pimping out my automobile. I just want to race.
    Yep, the last one I enjoyed was Hot Pursuit 2. Had it on my PC a few years back.

Strawberry (Level 2) Pezcore343's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Atarileaf, I don't think anyone is trying to diss your opinion that the TG-16 is your favorite console, I think it's just the way you seem you hateful of everything else that makes your posts seem like jokes or troll posts. Turbografx is a good system and I think it's fine if that's all you own, but there are definitely lots of other good games and systems out there before and since.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Talking

It really is about how old you are in the end. Whatever games and systems you grew up with always be the best in your mind, no matter what! Nothing overcomes nostalgia...

Me, Christmas 1989 I was 8 years old. Got my first system, the NES. I distinctly remember begging my parents NOT to get me a "Sega or Atari" system because the NES was simply a phenomenom by the late 80's. Even old people were buying NES'. My aunt and uncle had one, but they never played it. That was my first experience with the NES, playing Mario and Duck Hunt at their house during the holidays.

So I went from NES, to GameBoy, to Genesis, to 32X, to Jaguar, to Playstation, to N64, to Playstation 2, to Dreamcast, to Saturn, to Neo Geo, to Virtual Boy, to 2600 etc. etc.. I've tried nearly all of them. 8-bit games to 128 bit games all have their good points. 8-bit games, you fire them up and right away can play. Nothing confusing, no storyline, just gaming. That's fine, and I totally understand you "older" guys *snicker* who die by the VCS because you grew up with it. I'm the same way with the NES and all of its classics. I never even got a 2600 until the early 2000's. I thought some of the games were pretty fun. Still, I hate the joystick and such simple games can only hold my attention for so long.

Another thing that I believe makes a person LOVE a system, is if they were an early adapter. If you pre-ordered a system or bought it soon after launch, you loved it and are a die-hard fan, am I right? For the most part anyway, I think this is the way of things. Systems I bought out of curiousity on ebay much passed their prime, such as the 2600, Dreamcast, Saturn & Neo Geo; There are great games on these systems, and I did have *some* fun with them. Yet something was missing, I didn't have a special feeling towards any of them. Almost like... They were, step-children!

So that's it then. Systems you buy at or very close to their release feel like children to you, whereas systems you buy only for the novelty or curiosity factor feel like a distant friend or relative at best. Hard to become emotionally involved with.

When it comes down to it though, in my mind, you aren't a true blue hardcore gamer unless you like some 2600 games and PS3 games and everything in between! I just love videogames period.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It really is about how old you are in the end. Whatever games and systems you grew up with always be the best in your mind, no matter what! Nothing overcomes nostalgia...

Me, Christmas 1989 I was 8 years old. Got my first system, the NES. I distinctly remember begging my parents NOT to get me a "Sega or Atari" system because the NES was simply a phenomenom by the late 80's. Even old people were buying NES'. My aunt and uncle had one, but they never played it. That was my first experience with the NES, playing Mario and Duck Hunt at their house during the holidays.
    Age and the relevant country as well. For example, the NES was nothing in Europe, not a phenomenom at all, more of a damp squid. Europe looked at computer gaming during the mid/late 80s, and C64 was absolutely king.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It really is about how old you are in the end. Whatever games and systems you grew up with always be the best in your mind, no matter what! Nothing overcomes nostalgia.
    Not always true. I grew up first on the Atari 2600 and then moved on to the 7800. But it wasn't until I got an Nes that the real fun gaming began. So despite the 2600 and 7800 being my first two taste of gaming, today I look at them as some of the worst gaming experiences I have ever had. I could never go back to playing like that.

I don't collect or play pass the Nes era and besides a few rare games(for collectors reasons) I stay far away from the early Atari systems. As for nostalgia, the Nes is one of my favorite systems but it competes with more modern day systems for that title.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    Age and the relevant country as well. For example, the NES was nothing in Europe, not a phenomenom at all, more of a damp squid. Europe looked at computer gaming during the mid/late 80s, and C64 was absolutely king.
    As far as consoles go, the Sega Master System was a lot more popular than the NES at that time in Europe correct?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pezcore343 View Post
    Atarileaf, I don't think anyone is trying to diss your opinion that the TG-16 is your favorite console, I think it's just the way you seem you hateful of everything else that makes your posts seem like jokes or troll posts. Turbografx is a good system and I think it's fine if that's all you own, but there are definitely lots of other good games and systems out there before and since.
    Ok, I'll admit I was a little harsh in my original post. I don't really hate any of the systems but as a general rule, I'm not a fan of platformers with a few exceptions. During the 90's, the Genesis and SNES were heavy with platformers, the game of choice it seems so there really was nothing on those systems that appealed to me and one of the main reasons my gaming tastes took me to the more diverse PC gaming scene.

In the mid to late 90's when the N64 and PS1 came out I still didn't see anything earth shattering that would get me to buy one of those machines. My nephews had them and I played Mario 64 and Starfox and thought they were ok, cute games, but I preferred realisitc simulation games that could only be played on a PC.

It was also around this time in the mid 90's that nostalgia started kicking in and my desire to reaquire my gaming past started to emerge. Back then, before the days of the internet and ebay, I was able to acquire quite a large Atari collection. It was worthless to almost everyone in those days and I don't think I ever came home empty handed from yardsaling without a large Atari score.

So between getting married with its shifting priorities, my lack of interest in the type of console games that were popular in the 90's, my PC gaming interests and my eventual start of classic game collecting, the 90's passed me by so I never looked with any real fondness for any of the consoles that came out then. Only the Genesis had any kind of impact and a lot of that was the NHL series and as I mentioned, Road Rash.

TG-16 isn't my favorite console, its one of 3 with Atari and NES, but I still love it. And technically it was around in the 90's but I got mine in 89 when they first appeared. As someone mentioned, I was an early adopter of the TG-16. No one I knew had one so there may be some truth to the theory that its a factor in how one remembers a console.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I'll always have a special place in my heart for the 16 bit era. Maybe partially tainted by nostalgia but still I can think of more games I played and enjoyed during that time.

The worst is like many have said the 32 bit era. I have never been terribly fond of the early days of CD based gaming. Too much gimmicky 3-d polygon graphics that really havent aged well imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.