Thread: atari jag cd clicking noise

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

Default atari jag cd clicking noise

i bought a jag cd recently about a month ago from a DP member. The system works but the only thing that concerns me is a clicking noise everytime i boot it up. not sure what the problem is but it definately doesn't sound normal. it usually lasts about 30 seconds then it kind of stops. again, the games work fine but just has the noise.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ncman071 View Post
    i bought a jag cd recently about a month ago from a DP member. The system works but the only thing that concerns me is a clicking noise everytime i boot it up. not sure what the problem is but it definately doesn't sound normal. it usually lasts about 30 seconds then it kind of stops. again, the games work fine but just has the noise.
    I know exactly what the problem is, as it seems to be a common issue among Atari Jaguars cd systems....A wire that goes to a switch near the laser has come loose(lousy soldering job,I've seen it)....When the cd laser moves and does the reading, the laser head hits this switch to let it know where to stop....And since the switch is not working most likely due to the loose wire, the laser keeps going without stoping and making the clicking noise.....Unfortunately, the fix requires to take the whole cd transport apart to reach the problem spot...The Jaguar cd is very finicky and cheap built that any little mistake while working on it, can be a huge problem....But you definitely have to get it repair...Who sold it to ya?
    Last edited by ooXxXoo; 06-29-2009 at 01:03 PM.
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    I know exactly what the problem is, as it seems to be a common issue among Atari Jaguars cd systems....A wire that goes to a switch near the laser has come loose(lousy soldering job,I've seen it)....When the cd laser moves and does the reading, the laser head hits this switch to let it know where to stop....And since the switch is not working most likely due to the loose wire, the laser keeps going without stoping and making the clicking noise.....Unfortunately, the fix requires to take the whole cd transport apart to reach the problem spot...The Jaguar cd is very finicky and cheap built that any little mistake while working on it, can be a huge problem....But you definitely have to get it repair...Who sold it to ya?

I really appreciate the info. Tubeway sold it to me at the end of May. As far as repairing the console, would i be better off trying to take it somewhere? Do you have any recommendations?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you don't have any experience taking a system apart and/or soldering skills, I would not recommend to start doing it with the Jaguar Cd....Although if you feel confident enough, go for it....Don't really know where to send it though...I have done it a couple of times, but my work schedule is a bit tight atm, but if you don't mind waiting or can't find anyone else to do it.......I'm located in Virginia....Pm me if interested....Thanks!
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

check in over at atariage also some great guys over there that can help and I believe there is still a place that does repairs for $75 or so

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It really is more than likely just a broken wire. Any shop that services electronics should be able to fix it fairly inexpensively.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Turbografx CD-ROM2 system makes the same clicking noise. Would this be a similar issue, and just as serious? It only happens once in a while.
    Last edited by Mathius; 06-30-2009 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Added info