Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Collector's edition" games - trully collectible?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    I'd say buy CE if you like the addl content other than that no they're more a marketing gimmick
    Thats all collectible/limited/special editions are today: marketing gimmicks. I remember not too long after Street Fighter IV and Resident Evil 5 came out, there was a member on this board telling people to buy the special verions of each(for $90) before they disappeared. Now those same limited versions can be found in Best Buy for the same price as the regular editions, sitting side by side.

If you like collecting special editions for the bonus content(like I do), then by all means buy them. But buying them for investment purposes only is pretty stupid. If you didn't know before, you know now because we are telling you exactly what 99% of them are: a marketing gimmick that isn't very collectible/limited/special after all. And considering these c/l/s editions cost $10-70 more than the regular versions(only to come down to equal or cheaper than the regular version in a few months) I'd definitely recommend against getting them when they are first released.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    Nikademus1969

I buy collector/limited editions of games that I like because the added stuff appeals to me. If it actually gains value, it's a bonus but that's not why I get it.

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

The only one I've ever seen increase was the Bioshock LE, and that's probably because most of the included Big Daddy figurines ended up breaking during shipping (or something like that).
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The best LE I have seen for the current gen systems is Skate 2. I think they put out like 500 of these across both systems and they came with a full size skateboard. I got one of these. The board is still in the generic box it was shipped in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    I Am Your Face
    PSN
    Solertia

I only buy limited/collector's editions when they are offered for the same price as the regular game (like anything released by NIS and Atlus, and recently BlazBlue (FANTASTIC deal)). I like getting the extra stuff, and especially like that they come in cardboard boxes (cardboard boxes > plastic cases imo)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges View Post
    The best LE I have seen for the current gen systems is Skate 2. I think they put out like 500 of these across both systems and they came with a full size skateboard. I got one of these. The board is still in the generic box it was shipped in.
    It's funny, but I don't consider that to be a limited edition. The game itself is just the regular version and there are hundreds of thousands of them out there. The skateboard is limited, but it's just an additional item that was sold with the game as a collectible. Unless you collect skateboards, it's not really that interesting. It's kind of like those Ghostbusters LE packages on Amazon. The game is the regular version and then they just put some extra stuff in the shipping box generically packaged. To qualify as a CE or LE, I think everything needs to be packaged in a single box and there has to be some difference in the outer packaging of the game. Otherwise, any piece of pre-order swag or promo item specific to a game would make the game a limited edition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Whoa, I'd actually like that Skate LE, or at least to see it (owning sporting equipment I can't or won't use only adds to my lameness quotient so I'll have to pass for now). That does sound nifty, but it's firmly in the category of "swag." At least it's potentially useful (although I wouldn't be surprised if it's made with cheap components that would have a dedicated plank connoisseur turning up their nose, or an ankle when trying some difficult trick).

I think that the CE tag only may be meaningful on things that are generally trashed once bought (i.e. consoles), or packaged with desirable materials (I'd still like to get the HL2 collector's edition actually). For the vast majority of these "CE" packs I think they fail:

- Not a good bang:buck ratio compared with the old fashioned low print run game

- No proven track record of desirability (and some arguments against it; I've mentioned the 1995 crop of Topps limited editions, "Black Gold" and the like, as the final straw)

- Too close to the age of DLC anyway ("collector's editions" will soon just be "you get some piece of cardboard to make you feel better about having a virtual asset that may be stolen or lost at any time")

As everybody's saying, it's seems to be madness to talk about "investing" right now and then turn around and use that to justify a current-gen gaming habit. There's good deals to be had on older games right now, I'm sure, but old fashioned stocks are offering some crazy opportunities right now.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 07-02-2009 at 06:54 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i sold the collectors edition of morrowind, pc version, on ebay last winter for like 80 bucks. i think the regular version goes for about 10.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Has anyone ever reported finding a Kobayashi-signed copy of the LE DMC4? Reports said that there were 100 signed each for the 360 and the PS3.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anyone mentioned the MGS3 CE? I thought that one was rather limited.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roflaid

MGS3 Subsistence or whatever in the red case that is truely a collectible rare item. I can't remember how many were made but they're like really expensive now, I think...damn if I only I picked one up at Wal-Mart when I could.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by erehwon View Post
    Has anyone mentioned the MGS3 CE? I thought that one was rather limited.
    Damnit you beat me to it.
    Last edited by Therealqtip; 07-02-2009 at 01:06 PM.
    League of Legends referral link:
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4be72d0a12a60
    ^^ DotA players click the link ^^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roflaid

Quote Originally Posted by DKTheArcadeRat View Post
    For Halo 3, the "rarity"(as far as I have been able to tell) generally goes with the standard being easiest, then the Legendary Edition with the helmet, and then the Collectors Edition in the metal case being the harder one to find. But I haven't really seen Legendary Editions since GameStop got rid of them, I found one at ToysRUs though for $20 not long ago.
    I actually had a CE of halo3 but got rid of it, I had all the stuff in it also I shoulda probably kept it seeing it's harder to find :/
    League of Legends referral link:
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4be72d0a12a60
    ^^ DotA players click the link ^^

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Quote Originally Posted by Therealqtip View Post
    I actually had a CE of halo3 but got rid of it, I had all the stuff in it also I shoulda probably kept it seeing it's harder to find :/
    I still own it, my biggest gripe with it is the quality of the case. It's a cheap tin case that dents very easily and the discs fall out at the drop of a hat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Before this generation, Limited Edition and Collector's Edition didn't really mean much. Take the Resident Evil 4 (PS2) and Halo II (Xbox) steel tin releases as a prime example, where it is likely more copies of these exist than standard edition copies.

However, with the X360 and PS3, these terms seem to hold tight, with many LE's and CE's either holding their value well, or even increasing above RRP! They truly are limited, and are worth collecting, as they become very sought after and scarce quite quickly. Some more than others.

Some do tend to depreciate rather quickly though, such as the Alone In The Dark box set and the tin version of Perfect Dark Zero, so it's hit and miss really and you have to really choose wisely if investment is your main concern.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by MoreEbolaForYou View Post
    i sold the collectors edition of morrowind, pc version, on ebay last winter for like 80 bucks. i think the regular version goes for about 10.
    The Collector's edition retailed at $80. So it didn't increase in value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I just threw the skate 2 one out there just because I have seen a shit ton of special/limited/collector's editions where all it is, is just random swag that gets thrown in and they make a shit load of them.

I just counted this because even though it comes in a generic shipping box with the game, the only thing that separates this one from many others out there is the fact that it does not come in some magical CE box or whatever (and the fact that the shit was limited as hell).

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

If I go in to get a game and I find that the LE/CE version is available for a few dollars more, what the hell, why not. About the only game I can think of that I'd get the LE/CE version for is the Metroid Prime Trilogy, as I love the series art direction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges View Post
    I just counted this because even though it comes in a generic shipping box with the game, the only thing that separates this one from many others out there is the fact that it does not come in some magical CE box or whatever (and the fact that the shit was limited as hell).
    And also that it's the main item from the game...good luck getting Master Cheef's armor or a gun with your game, for instance (cheesy plastic helmets don't count of course)!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix View Post
    Before this generation, Limited Edition and Collector's Edition didn't really mean much. Take the Resident Evil 4 (PS2) and Halo II (Xbox) steel tin releases as a prime example, where it is likely more copies of these exist than standard edition copies.

However, with the X360 and PS3, these terms seem to hold tight, with many LE's and CE's either holding their value well, or even increasing above RRP! They truly are limited, and are worth collecting, as they become very sought after and scarce quite quickly. Some more than others.

Some do tend to depreciate rather quickly though, such as the Alone In The Dark box set and the tin version of Perfect Dark Zero, so it's hit and miss really and you have to really choose wisely if investment is your main concern.
    I'm guessing that being outside of the US, you don't really have a good handle on our market since all you really see is inflated Ebay prices or listings for games that never sell. With the exception of literally 5-6 CE/LE games released in the last two years, every single CE/LE has gone down in value, some as low as 1/3 of the launch price. Heck, there are Best Buys all around the country selling Resistance 2 CE, Madden 09 CE, and many other CE games for 50% off. Other than Bioshock, MGS 3 CE, Ninja Gaiden Sigma for PS3, and maybe a couple of others, none of the CE/LE editions released over here have held or appreciated in value. People know they are artificial collectibles that aren't rare and most people don't care about making-of DVDs or DLC or special weapon or character codes months or years after a game comes out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I'm guessing that being outside of the US, you don't really have a good handle on our market since all you really see is inflated Ebay prices or listings for games that never sell. With the exception of literally 5-6 CE/LE games released in the last two years, every single CE/LE has gone down in value, some as low as 1/3 of the launch price. Heck, there are Best Buys all around the country selling Resistance 2 CE, Madden 09 CE, and many other CE games for 50% off. Other than Bioshock, MGS 3 CE, Ninja Gaiden Sigma for PS3, and maybe a couple of others, none of the CE/LE editions released over here have held or appreciated in value. People know they are artificial collectibles that aren't rare and most people don't care about making-of DVDs or DLC or special weapon or character codes months or years after a game comes out.
    I was speaking more generally about my native market (UK PAL), but yea, you do have a point that I should've made it clear that the same may not apply for the US market. Bearing in mind though that the US is a much bigger place and many more units are produced than they are for the UK / European market, which is probably why things which are in short supply over there are stretched even further, so the real rarities seem much rarer, and the general LE's and CE's are more plentiful than those which we receive over here

LE's and CE's in the UK and Europe are a different story. Some are far rarer and limited than others, and those which are very limited (Such as the Dead Rising SteelBook) are quite sought after and seem to hold their price or have increased in value (In terms of brand new and sealed copies)