Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Collector's edition" games - trully collectible?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Therealqtip View Post
    MGS3 Subsistence or whatever in the red case that is truely a collectible rare item. I can't remember how many were made but they're like really expensive now, I think...damn if I only I picked one up at Wal-Mart when I could.
    I've never heard any official numbers on this and Kojima purposely withheld this information for some reason. Does anyone have any concrete evidence on a rough estimate of many of these are out there?
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's one CE of a game that came out within the last 5 years or so thats worth a lot more than it sold for. The original World of Warcraft Collectors Edition with an unused key goes for around $1000 last I've checked. Mainly because of the three in game pets you can't get elsewhere.

Aside from that I don't think any CE is really worth it. I got Halo 3 (the one with the helmet) for less than half what they wanted originally. Sucks if you bought one full price. Nice looking helmet though they are practically worthless.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

FF12 collector's edition/regular edition. Which one is more rare? Neither are rare and I'd assume the regular edition isn't because it can still be found new, but which one currently has more sales if that can be found out?
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about Street Fighter IV CE ? seen some of them go for +$100 on eBay...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roflaid

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I've never heard any official numbers on this and Kojima purposely withheld this information for some reason. Does anyone have any concrete evidence on a rough estimate of many of these are out there?
    The number was in my PSM magazine like 2-3 years ago whenever it came out I'll go look it up some time when I have the chance.

Heyyy, look at that 200th post
    League of Legends referral link:
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4be72d0a12a60
    ^^ DotA players click the link ^^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the DJ Max games for PSP and they've also got some of the slickest & most elaborate collectors edition sets I've ever seen. The rarest is the DJ Max Fever 'Crew Edition' which came in a special box that was autographed by the entire team. Only 125 were made and they were only available for pre-order on Bemanistyle.com for $130.

I think the autographed Orpheus set was limited to 30 copies but the packaging was the same as the unsigned version.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    I love the DJ Max games for PSP and they've also got some of the slickest & most elaborate collectors edition sets I've ever seen. The rarest is the DJ Max Fever 'Crew Edition' which came in a special box that was autographed by the entire team. Only 125 were made and they were only available for pre-order on Bemanistyle.com for $130.

I think the autographed Orpheus set was limited to 30 copies but the packaging was the same as the unsigned version.
    The Crew Edition is the perfect example of why speculating in LEs is foolish. Literally half of the copies sold ended up on Ebay the next day after they were received and most sold only for what the original MSRP was and the rest didn't sell at all. Even now, they barely hit $125-$130 and when you consider shipping and tax was extra and the Ebay and Paypal fees, some of the speculators lost even more money on the resale. The fact that a number of the outer boxes got damaged in transit from Korea to the US before they even shipped to buyers was another disappointment and made me glad I didn't waste my money on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FFX View Post
    What about Street Fighter IV CE ? seen some of them go for +$100 on eBay...
    Maybe when they first came out but you can usually still find these new in Best Buy(and other stores) for the same price as the regular one. It's not very limited and some of them have ended for as low as $30 brand new on ebay during the last two weeks.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^I am referring to the PS3 US version, not sure if its available on stores anymore because I don't leave in the US, but I can't find it online.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drogosan View Post
    I'm thinking of starting a Fallout collection since I freaken' love this series, but am just wondering about the value of pursuing Fallout 3 Collector's Edition. I've noticed quite a few games come in a "Collector's Edition" version, but are they worth it from an investment perspective?
    I wouldn't "invest" in a video game period. The number of video games that increase in value is so miniscule it's hardly worth playing that game. But if you enjoy Fallout, by all means treat yourself to the collector’s edition if it's something you would personally treasure.
    The arcade stick from Tekken 5 and the watch from Growlanser Generations Deluxe are the only things I've ever pulled out of a limited edition game that I thought were remotely useful. But if you enjoy a game, the usual trinkets like art books, cell art, music CD's or bonus DVD's can remind you of the enjoyment you derived from playing it. And the different case or cover art tells everyone who sees it on your shelf that it's something you care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Therealqtip View Post
    MGS3 Subsistence or whatever in the red case that is truely a collectible rare item. I can't remember how many were made but they're like really expensive now, I think...damn if I only I picked one up at Wal-Mart when I could.
    I don't know how many Limited Editions of Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence were produced, but you can take your pick of several listed on Ebay any day of the week. Availability isn't much of an issue. The Buy It Now prices I've seen have prevented me from opening mine. On one hand, I'm amused at the thought of what a $39.99 game might fetch someday. On the other hand, I really can't enjoy it. I know just peeling off the shrink-wrap will reduce its value by half, so it just sits around and reminds me that I'm not immune to greed.

The only collector's edition I'm aware of that you won't find easily is Nascar 07. Be it the PS2 or the Xbox version, you’re going to need a lot of patience to run across one of those. The good news is that you will probably find it cheap, if you can find it at all.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tend to avoid LE/CE unless they include something extra that I'm actually interested in, like the 10th anniversary coin that came with the JP version of Sonic Adventure 2 for the Dreamcast... otherwise they're about the same as GH games to me... more often than not, all they are is the standard edition with LE/CE printed on them where the GH would be if it was a GH version... and it seems that standard editions usually end up being more rare anyway!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Hybreed
    PSN
    Casualfever

I remember the Dreamcast having great LE's, shame that most of them were JPN exclusives (SC5:2, SoA, JSR etc.). I feel that very few LE's compare these days. If I can get a LE for the same amount or a few bucks more and I was planning to get the game anyway I'll take it. I do collect the LE's for the games I want though, even getting multiplatform releases if there are two versions available (i.e. the Assassin's Creed LE, I have the big statue one for the PS3 and I'll get the tin case for 360). I only collect pal releases though so many us only LE's don't interest me, minus the Castlevania ones.

Still, with videogames it's a hit and miss on what increases in value and what doesn't. I wouldn't buy LE's solely for money, but because I enjoy them.
    Dracula: The constant villain of the series. His usual tactics include breaking a number of wine glasses and transforming into his true form.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I think of real LE's the only ones that come to mind right now are low prints like shmups and the likes...

Border Down LE is pretty pricey, so is Karou etc..

But mass production "LE" like Halo, GTA IV, Assasin's creed, I couldn't care less about those.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The term "limited edition" is just like "all natural." It's one of those things that really ends up meaning jack shit but is designed to make most people associate the product with something good. "All natural" isn't really limited by much. Everything is natural at some point in the cycle. Just like every product is limited in some way. Even the most common item is technically "limited."

It seems like video games jumped on the buzzword bandwagon relatively recently. Does anybody know what was the first game that did the whole "limited/collector's edition" thing? I'm not talking just special packaging like Earthbound. I mean the first game that made a point to announce that it was a limited/collector's edition item.