Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Default Does anyone know if the Kenner Redline handheld was ~

Does anyone know if the Kenner Redline handheld was the first linkable Handheld.?Or if it's even linkable...Can anyone verify this?

I wrote about this on another post..

Did you know that the the Kenner Redline handhelds are linkable............................or are they?..
    Supposedly it's the first linkable handheld.................. ??

I have two of them,but I never tried linking them..I'm too scared to try.... If for any reason the info is false I don't want to burn them out.

The link cable was never made..so it has to be made out of headphone jacks..

If you have one of these you will see a input on the bottom..It looks like it's for a AC plug/jack..But I read and have spoken to someone, it's for linking.

I searched and found the info I once read...below.
    Kenner Red Line (1980, LED, 2 9 Volts, Model# 40290)
    View Trade Magazine Ad

Basically a drag race simulator. There are two sets of LED digits, one represents the gear you are in, and the other is either your RPM, estimated race time or MPH (top speed I assume), depending on the mode you are in. To start the race, you hold down start and press Gear, and then you try to complete a race with best time possible without blowing your engine. When you first turn on the game (or switch a racing class) it will display your top RPM. After the race is over, second set of digits will then show your time and top speed. There's probably more to it than that, but that's basically how it works.

There is a jack on the bottom of this game that is used to connect it to another Red Line so you can play 'head to head' with another player. I believe this is the first game to feature that kind of connectivity for dual player action. The countdown to start the race will commence after both players have pressed Start/Gear (I believe that's how it works, never actually got a chance to test this out...)

There is a test mode on this game that is entered by holding down Gear and Gas at the same time while turning the game on. It will then light all the LEDs one at a time, and then cycling through 0-9 on all of the digit displays. It will then sit with the Gear and the RPM digit lit. The Gear digit tests the logic of racing class knob (if it's at 'Stock', the Gear display will show 1, 'Modified' will show 2, 'Funny Car' will show 4 and 'Top Fuel' will show 8 (it's counting in binary)). The RPM digit is for testing the buttons. With none pressed, it should show '0,' Start button = 1, Gas = 4 and Gear = 8. Pressing different combinations of buttons will display sums of the button values (but anything above 9 is shown as a weird digit and one of the yellow LEDs lighting up.)

Thanks to John Grimm for info on how to play the game and get into the test mode. Check out the Guts section to see the inside of this game.

http://users2.ev1.net/~rik1138/Misc/KennerRL.htm

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

I had this scan sent to me today by another handheld collector I know..

Link up info for the Kenner Redline..

I still would like to know if this was the "first linkable handheld"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hmmm.. could be. But for all I know there might be some obscure Jap handheld that had linkeable functions but I can't think of any off the top of my head. It's looking good that Redline Racer is at least one of the first if not the first. But who knows...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default My favorite

Man, keep this kind of juice coming. It's my favorite kind!

These obscure tidbits are my favorite. Anyone know anything else about weird systems or handhelds? Aren't Nintendo G&W's bluetooth compatible? They WERE ahead of their time, eh?

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Default Re: My favorite

Quote Originally Posted by ianoid
    Man, keep this kind of juice coming. It's my favorite kind!

These obscure tidbits are my favorite. Anyone know anything else about weird systems or handhelds? Aren't Nintendo G&W's bluetooth compatible? They WERE ahead of their time, eh?
    That's a good question ..bluetooth compatability.

I asked a few handheld collectors..
    then..
    I asked a G&W collector info about the Nintendo G&W's bluetooth compatability.
    He said..

Nintendo G&Ws are not capable of communicating with each
    other in any way...
    Off the top of my head, I'd guess the Kenner Redline myself...