Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Blaz what's Blue: Calamity Trigger nonsense words = good fightin'.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Default The Blaz what's Blue: Calamity Trigger nonsense words = good fightin'.

The 'spiritual successor' to Guilty Gear has been released to consoles this week, and I myself have been enjoying it thoroughly. I can't believe that there isn't a thread already, actually. I thought a lot of folks were looking forward to it.

The fighting itself is Guilty Gear on reds. It's a bit slower, defense is more of an option thanks to "Faultless Defense" getting it's own meter, and there's more ground action thanks to the lack of a dedicated launching button. To Hell with you, Dust. You shall not be missed (by me, anyway). I'm on PS3. Hit me up if you want some easy wins (I'm old and slow).

More importantly to the fellow collectors and shwag junkies on DP, the 'collectors edition' is both cheap and superb. The entire 2 disc soundtrack is included, along with a Blu-Ray/DVD tutorial disc that explains the mechanics from both a broad perspective, and also details each individual character's moves, strategies, and some useful combos. The guys from SRK and Dustloop are the ones giving out the sage advice, so you know it's probably worth paying attention. As has been previously noted elsewhere, it's also the same price as the 'regular edition', though the only way to get the game at the moment is in it's collectors edition form. Subsequent printings, should there be any, will be a regular stand alone game without all the extras.

Of paramount import to fellow fighting game fans, though, is the ridiculously good netcode. It makes HD Remix and Street Fighter 4 look like they're running on dial up connections. The netcode is almost supernaturally stable, and lacks the weird rollback effects that mar GGPO and 2DF. In fact, since the PS3 patch earlier today, I've yet to experience lag or latency in any measurable way. Earlier this evening I played a bunch of matches against some guys in Australia, and it was silky smooth. All my gatling combos, links, and specials came out completely without a hitch. I was boggled, especially since I get lag playing Street Fighter 4 with my friend six miles away. Good on you, Arc System Works.

So basically, if you like fighting games, this one is a no-brainer. Pick it up. For those who've already sampled BB, how do you feel?
    Last edited by G-Boobie; 07-06-2009 at 02:47 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    EMC2INTOSH

This game looks really great and i've never even played any of the Guilty Gear games. I do want to purchase but i've been buying to many games lately so I might have to hold off a little bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Of overriding importance is the catgirl w/no face but blond hair, apparently. No match for many of the characters from Guilty Gear or the other "classics" but I'm sure people will be going crazy over this one for some years to come.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

I'd have this already, but my idiot brother pre ordered it on Amazon, so we won't be getting it til next week.

I really want to play it, too. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
    I'd have this already, but my idiot brother pre ordered it on Amazon, so we won't be getting it til next week.

I really want to play it, too. I've heard nothing but good things about it.
    Well, at least you'll be getting the art book with it. That's something, anyway.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'll play you guys once this reaches the inevitable 19.99 price tag. Unfortunately I won't be able to play those of you with a 360(sorry Nirvana ,) but those who have a PS3 then you can listen to my bitching about how the game sucks because I'm not the best at it. Either that or pick out the many flaws most people don't notice while playing games.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

I have it and it's fun. I play as Taokaka mostly because she's so fast.

I'm also trying out Hakumen but he's like the total opposite of Tao so it's kind of hard to switch in and out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

My brother gave in and just picked up a copy at Best Buy. I picked Taokaka because she looked hilarious, and I like characters in fighting games that play fast.

I was getting really frustrated with the boss at the end of the game. Damn, she's hard o_O

I had a hard time with Hakumen, but then I just started dashing and throwing him consecutively.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

Hakumen in arcade mode is powered up compaired to other modes. He takes like half damage and does double!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    Well, at least you'll be getting the art book with it. That's something, anyway.
    I thought Gamestop was the only place that was giving out the art book? I usually pre-order from Amazon but I reluctantly ordered from Gamestop because of that book.

Got my copy in the mail yesterday but I haven't played it yet because I'm too addicted to Skate 2 at the moment. All the reviews I've read said it's incredible though. Looking forward to playing this weekend with my new SFIV TE stick.

G-Boobie, what system are you playing it on? Think I've still got you on my 360 friends list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

I've got it for PS3, and have loved every minute of it. Arc System Works knows how to make their fighting games!
    This is just my idea of a spiritual successor to Guilty Gear. That's probably my favorite fighting series, but I wish it got a true sequel.
    All of it's "installments" are literally just small expansion packs.

Hopefully BB will have a nice juicy sequel to follow.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm lovin' it. I had sampled BlazBlue at the local arcade and have been hooked ever since. I used to only use Racheal Alucard, and now I can't stop playing as Taotaka. I enjoy her spunk and how she refers to Litchi as boobie lady Story mode is fantasic, much better than I thought it would be. I'm glad to hear the netcode is running smoothly, so I can look forward to fighting online(PS3).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I picked this up yesterday and played it for a bit, I'll get more into it once I get rid of this cold. I played Guitly Gear on Dreamcast and found the visuals to be amazing, so to me this game was worth picking up for it's art alone.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
    My brother gave in and just picked up a copy at Best Buy. I picked Taokaka because she looked hilarious, and I like characters in fighting games that play fast.
    Yeah... I'm probably maining Taokaka too. I was interested in playing Arakune or Noel, but I just sort of 'get' Taokaka. Her drive attacks are stupid fast: she's a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    I thought Gamestop was the only place that was giving out the art book? I usually pre-order from Amazon but I reluctantly ordered from Gamestop because of that book.
    I thought the Amazon page mentioned the art book, though I could be mistaken. I ended up picking it up at retail, so either way I missed out.

G-Boobie, what system are you playing it on? Think I've still got you on my 360 friends list.
    I'm on PS3 with Blazblue, but if you care to play Garou, Street Fighter 4, Battle Fantasia, or what have you, I'm always open. Just send me a message!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finally picked this up. It seems like a generic store-brand version of Guilty Gear at times, but it's a lot of fun to play. I'm on Live as Kid Fenris.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

I've finally gotten a chance to play my copy (for 360 recently) and I am loving it. Ever since I played Guilty Gear X Arc System Works has kept me very satisfied. Blazblue seems to be a good mixture of all of ASW's past fighters with a splash of something completely all its own. It has:

A soundtrack that rivals Guilty Gear's (same composer)
    A story mode similar to Battle Fantasia
    A stronger emphasis on ground combat likeHakuto no Ken
    And an attention to overall presentation like Sengoku Basara X

I still need to get a better feel for the characters but from what i've seen and played so far the characters still maintain very unique feels to them and the drive button concept really solidifies this.

The lobby style really pleases me. Its something i am shocked i hadnt seen in other fighters on the 360.Seeing your friends duke it out and hoping for "next" is something i've missed in the other fighters on 360 becuase i hve always had the feeling of dread when a more than one friend wants to play and we'd have trying to figure out whos inviting who.

All in all I am happy and I hope they decide to expand on this property in the future. Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus would be a great high note for them to leave off from and Blazblue is a good new chapter if that's the case.
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

I'm having a hard time getting the character specific achievements in this game. I put it on Unlimited time in versus mode and I proceed to do them, such as shooting the opponent with Tager's Spark Bolt more than 6 times in one round, and it doesn't give me the achievement.

Also, I was playing online earlier. Yesterday I went 3-0, and today I faced some really good players. Definitely lost more than I won. But I'm still going to stick with Taokaka. Only way to get better with one character is to "think" that you are limited to that character and his/her tools only.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Got this on release from GameStop, and I love it. Art book was kinda bleh, but I am really impressed with the game thus far. Been honing skils with Noel Vermillion.

I was/am a huge Guilty Gear fan, so liking this comes as no surprise, honestly.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    Got this on release from GameStop, and I love it. Art book was kinda bleh...
    You could flip it on eBay, where it's now selling for almost as much as the actual game.

I'm leaning towards learning Rachel, just so I can pretend I'm playing a new Darkstalkers game.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Fenris View Post
    You could flip it on eBay, where it's now selling for almost as much as the actual game.

I'm leaning towards learning Rachel, just so I can pretend I'm playing a new Darkstalkers game.
    I like playing as Racheal for this very reason. Also her Amercian VA sounds like or is Shinku from Rozen Maiden. I got far enough in story mode to unlock Hakumen and Nu. I've been blazin' through the story mode to unlock more of the excellent Teach Me Ms. Litchi episodes. This game is jam packed with content and I wish all fighting games had a story mode like this.