Thread: Sega SG-1000 & Mark III: R/F doesn't work!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Default Sega SG-1000 & Mark III: R/F doesn't work!

Just wondering if anyone here can help with my latest problem.

Earlier today, I was quite lucky and found a PC Engine, Sega SG-1000 and a Sega Mark III for very good prices (about $13 for the PCE, and $5 each for the SG-1000 and Mark III). They're all kind of dirty and yellowed, but it's nothing that can't be corrected with some work.

I'm using an AC adapter from a model 1 Mega Drive (Japanese) to power them all. Powers them all fine. For the RF switch, I'm using a newer model one for the Famicom/Super Famicom. The PC Engine works perfectly, so no issues there. The Mark III works fine through its AV connection, but nothing at all happens when I try to plug in the RF switch. Same with the SG-1000. They both power on, but don't display anything through RF. When I say nothing happens, I mean NOTHING. The RF is fine with the PCE, but when used with the Mark III or SG-1000 the TV doesn't even flicker. I opened up the SG-1000 and it looks fine inside.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem is with the RF connection on both systems?

Also, one more problem: the left and right functions on the d-pad don't work. I'm using a Mega Drive controller with it, since I don't have any Mark III or Master System controllers. I've got After Burner and Space Harrier. I can shoot and move up and down, but left and right just don't work. In After Burner, the jet is always turning left. Again, up and down work fine. The controller is fine, as I've used it with the Mega Drive with no issues (along with a second controller).

I realize that these are both fairly obscure systems... but I'm hoping someone here knows something. Thanks for any help!

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not sure about the RF issue but I do know that not all Mark III/SG-1000 games are compatible with the Mega Drive gamepad (Ex. In Alien Syndrome your character will just keep walking left).

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Breetai View Post
    The Mark III works fine through its AV connection, but nothing at all happens when I try to plug in the RF switch. Same with the SG-1000. They both power on, but don't display anything through RF. When I say nothing happens, I mean NOTHING. The RF is fine with the PCE, but when used with the Mark III or SG-1000 the TV doesn't even flicker. I opened up the SG-1000 and it looks fine inside.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem is with the RF connection on both systems?
    The RF output on Japanese systems was designed for Japanese TVs. If it works at all, it will work on channels 97/98 (not 3/4). Give the channels in the upper 90s a try. If you're in the U.S. you'll need to use a North American switchbox or RF-coax adapter as well (the one that came with the system probably won't work).

EDIT: It looks like you're in Japan? So the issue is probably from the fact that you're using a newer (automatic) RF switch. You need to use an older (manual) switch.
    Last edited by PingvinBlueJeans; 07-05-2009 at 11:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by todesengel View Post
    Not sure about the RF issue but I do know that not all Mark III/SG-1000 games are compatible with the Mega Drive gamepad (Ex. In Alien Syndrome your character will just keep walking left).
    Hmmmm... that might be it. In Afterburner, I just kept flying left. I could move up and down, but it would still go left. Could be it. I'll pick up a Mark III or Master System Controller whenever I find one. Not that common where I am!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by PingvinBlueJeans View Post
    The RF output on Japanese systems was designed for Japanese TVs. If it works at all, it will work on channels 97/98 (not 3/4). Give the channels in the upper 90s a try. If you're in the U.S. you'll need to use a North American switchbox or RF-coax adapter as well (the one that came with the system probably won't work).

EDIT: It looks like you're in Japan? So the issue is probably from the fact that you're using a newer (automatic) RF switch. You need to use an older (manual) switch.
    I see you noticed my location after you posted. Nice! My PC Engine also works fine. :P

Thanks for the idea of the older switchbox, through. I'll pick one up maybe later this week. I'm guessing that the old Famicom ones should work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Was the old Famicom switchbox an automatic? In other words, did you have to reach back behind the TV set to slide a switch on the box to change it from TV to Game? It sounds that it's the kind you will need.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    Was the old Famicom switchbox an automatic? In other words, did you have to reach back behind the TV set to slide a switch on the box to change it from TV to Game? It sounds that it's the kind you will need.
    The Famicom I own has an automatic switch box (a weird Japanese one that I don't use). Both the SG-1000 and Mark III came with an Atari-style switchbox (manual w/ slide switch).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    My Famicom RF switch is a new style automatic one, just like the one that came with the American NES. It's not the original Famicom RF switch. The original one is like this:

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a picture of the SG-1000 or Mark III RF switch. I would assume that they're both manual.

Quote Originally Posted by PingvinBlueJeans
    The Famicom I own has an automatic switch box (a weird Japanese one that I don't use). Both the SG-1000 and Mark III came with an Atari-style switchbox (manual w/ slide switch).
    Do you really think they needs the manual switchbox? How about the Mega Drive controllers not working properly with it?
    Last edited by Breetai; 07-05-2009 at 09:01 PM.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

My Famicom RF switch is a new style automatic one, just like the one that came with the American NES. It's not the original Famicom RF switch. The original one is like this:

Yep, that's the one that came with the system (and the one I have).

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a picture of the SG-1000 or Mark III RF switch. I would assume that they're both manual.
    It looks just like any manual TV/GAME switchbox that came with any system from that era, it just says "SEGA" on it instead of Atari, Coleco, etc.

Do you really think they needs the manual switchbox?
    For the SG-1000...yes. It came with a manual switchbox (like all systems did circa 1983) and I can't imagine that it would work with an auto RF switch, as other systems from that time period (Atari 2600, ColecoVision, etc.) do not.

With the Mark III...maybe not. Although it came with a manual switch, the Master System (which is nearly identical) did not...it came with an auto switch like the NES. I'll have to dig out my SMS RF switch and see if my Mark III works with it. I presume that it will, although I've never tried it.

How about the Mega Drive controllers not working properly with it?
    Although Mega Drive/Genesis controllers seem to work on the Master System (with most games), they do not appear to work on the earlier Sega systems. I just tried a Genesis controller on my Mark III to confirm this. The control pad only functions partially (up/down works but left/right does not) and while button A operates the first fire button, none of the other buttons correspond to the second fire button (I tried both three and six-button Genny pads).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by PingvinBlueJeans View Post
    Yep, that's the one that came with the system (and the one I have).
    That would be an automatic switch, would it not? I almost picked on up today, but there's no switch on it. Just a hookup for coaxial, antenna, and of course to the console. Old style, but not old style enough.

It looks just like any manual TV/GAME switchbox that came with any system from that era, it just says "SEGA" on it instead of Atari, Coleco, etc.
    Now I need to track one down! Ataris, Colecovisions, etc. were not popular here. Old Sega systems were not even popular here. I might be seaching for awhile... I might just have to pick one up when I visit Canada later this summer. Better than overpaying for one in Akihabara.

For the SG-1000...yes. It came with a manual switchbox (like all systems did circa 1983) and I can't imagine that it would work with an auto RF switch, as other systems from that time period (Atari 2600, ColecoVision, etc.) do not.

With the Mark III...maybe not. Although it came with a manual switch, the Master System (which is nearly identical) did not...it came with an auto switch like the NES. I'll have to dig out my SMS RF switch and see if my Mark III works with it. I presume that it will, although I've never tried it.
    I opened up both systems, and the RF box sitting on the motherboard in both systems is exactly the same. No difference at all. Perhaps that's something that was upgraded in the Master System. If you do try the Mark III with your SMS RF switch, than thanks! I can't imagine that BOTH my SG-1000 and Mark III have the same broken RF connection.

Although Mega Drive/Genesis controllers seem to work on the Master System (with most games), they do not appear to work on the earlier Sega systems. I just tried a Genesis controller on my Mark III to confirm this. The control pad only functions partially (up/down works but left/right does not) and while button A operates the first fire button, none of the other buttons correspond to the second fire button (I tried both three and six-button Genny pads).
    Thanks! You're a great help! That's awesome news. Not that the MD/Genny pads don't work correctly with the Mark III, but that you confirmed it. BTW, the start button on the MD pad corresponds to the second fire button on the Mark III. The "A" button fires missiles and the "start" button fires the gun. Inconvenient, but functional. Too bad the d-pad doesn't work with left and right. Again, thanks for confirming that.

I'll have to hunt down some Mark III pads. Do SMS pads work on it? I would assume not, since the MD pads don't.
    Last edited by Breetai; 07-05-2009 at 11:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WolfpacLeader
    PSN
    wolfpacleader86

You should need a manual switchbox if that's the case. Try using a Video AV Cable(yellow) with one of these:

http://www.atariage.com/store/index....042c8fe930eb3f

This works in the States. Not sure about Japan.

You'd screw this into the back of your TV and then plug the video cable from the system to it like you would a manual switchbox. Except, you don't need to keep going back to switch from game to TV and you'll notice that the video quality is MUCH better! Just tune in like you would if you were using the regular switchbox.

A big advantage of owning one of these is that since it's a single part, it'll last much longer than a switchbox. I've used one of these for my game systems that needed it for a few years now and haven't had a problem. I use this with my 2600, 5200, Intellivision, and my newest acquisition: The Atari XE Game System. No problems! Joe usually gives these out at the store when buying a loose system that didn't come with a switchbox(like the 5200, which is how I got my spare).

Give it a shot and see if that works.

BTW, for the controllers, that is the case. Some games don't work with it. I had this problem with Phantasy Star with the SMS. It was very awkward using the Genesis controller with that game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBlaze View Post
    You should need a manual switchbox if that's the case. Try using a Video AV Cable(yellow) with one of these:

http://www.atariage.com/store/index....042c8fe930eb3f

This works in the States. Not sure about Japan.

You'd screw this into the back of your TV and then plug the video cable from the system to it like you would a manual switchbox. Except, you don't need to keep going back to switch from game to TV and you'll notice that the video quality is MUCH better! Just tune in like you would if you were using the regular switchbox.

A big advantage of owning one of these is that since it's a single part, it'll last much longer than a switchbox. I've used one of these for my game systems that needed it for a few years now and haven't had a problem. I use this with my 2600, 5200, Intellivision, and my newest acquisition: The Atari XE Game System. No problems! Joe usually gives these out at the store when buying a loose system that didn't come with a switchbox(like the 5200, which is how I got my spare).

Give it a shot and see if that works.

BTW, for the controllers, that is the case. Some games don't work with it. I had this problem with Phantasy Star with the SMS. It was very awkward using the Genesis controller with that game.
    Thanks Ghost Rider. I'll look around for one of those, and eventually order one if I can't find it. I'm pretty sure a trip to Akihabara would net me one... it's just finding one there amongst the huge amounts of small electronic shops that takes so much time!

A question about it though. I'd plug that Coaxial (F-Type) to Female RCA Adapter into the TV... but what goes from the system to the adapter? Sorry if it seems like an ignorant question, but the only things I use a coaxial adapter for are my PC Engine, Famicom, NES, and I used to use one for my SNES and Genesis until I started using AV for them. I haven't touched my TI 94/A in years, but I'm pretty sure that had a switchbox. Unfortunately, it's halfway around the world from me now. In other words, most of my experience with RF switchboxes are with automatic switches.

Nice to have another confirmation about my controller ports not being broken. Thanks for that.
    Last edited by Breetai; 07-06-2009 at 10:03 AM.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If you do try the Mark III with your SMS RF switch, than thanks! I can't imagine that BOTH my SG-1000 and Mark III have the same broken RF connection.
    I just tried it. I was able to get a signal from my Mark III on channel 95/96 of my TV using the SMS RF switch but the signal seemed weak as the picture was very poor (snowy).

I'll have to hunt down some Mark III pads. Do SMS pads work on it? I would assume not, since the MD pads don't.
    SMS pads will work with the Mark III and should also work with the SG-1000 (I would think), although SMS pads will be a bit hard to locate in Japan.

I'd plug that Coaxial (F-Type) to Female RCA Adapter into the TV... but what goes from the system to the adapter?
    A standard RF cable with two male ends - the kind that you'd plug into a switchbox...the same basic cable that came with any other system or computer from that era (Atari 2600, Intellivision, C64, etc).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Woohoo! I found a Sega brand manual RF switch (model number SS-60) at my local used electronics shop (Hard-Off) for 500yen. Looks the same as an old Atari or TI-94/A RF switch, so thanks a lot guys! Works like a charm on the SG-1000. Doesn't work on the Mark III for some reason. Maybe the RF connection in the Mark III is dead? Oh well, it has AV so I'm happy.

Still hunting for some controllers for the Mark III. MSX controllers definitely don't work, as I tried that yesterday. :P
    Last edited by Breetai; 08-30-2009 at 04:02 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Well, after about 2 months, I FINALLY found a controller to work with my Mark III. I ended up getting a Hori SG pad that works with my SG-1000 and Mark III (and I'd assume with a Master System as well). It is unopened complete in box, which in kind of cool (2000yen)... although I'd still like to get some original Sega pads eventually. At any rate, I'm pretty happy that I can use my Mark III now. Thanks to all who posted for their help. Hopefully this thread can help someone in the future with a similar problem.