Thread: WTS Modding and Repair services

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default WTS Modding and Repair services

MAJOR UPDATE

Thought I should get this thread up to date. I am home from college, so I have plenty of free time to take on jobs now. If you have pmed me about work, and I did not reply, please pm me again if you are still in need of work. I will not be buying most broken stuff at the moment unless it is cheap/free to ship, I'm too broke to be buying up 50 busted game gears/ps2s/etc that I probably can't sell/use. I have 3 working neses that i probably need to sell as it is.

I am working with a partner on starting up snes repros (and possibly other consoles repros). I am waiting on him to order some of the parts so I can put some initial test ones together. If you have any requests of that nature please bear with us as we set up the website and things.

In other news I can reprogram Famicom Disk System games/backup the data from them now. This is great for if you want to play some of those fds translations on the real deal. Also the tg-16 flash cart is on hiatus. I will taking some pictures of previous mods and uploading them for all to see pretty soon. (I know a picture is worth a thousand words).

Also a note on turbo duo sound fixes. In my experience a good pcb cleaning and cap replacement fixes audio about 80% of the time. I and others have come across many duos where this procedure did NOT fix the audio, or only partially fixed it. We are looking into other potential causes of this failure, and we have are suspects. If any breakthroughs are made I will let everyone know. For this reason I probably won't attempt duo sound fixes as it's too much of a crap shoot right now. Laser issues/cd reading problems are fair game though. This includes cd audio dropping out all of the sudden or only intermittently working, NOT quiet/popping/hissing audio. If you have any questions about this let me know.

As always I am up for mod ideas. You got a request, let me know. I might just be able/willing to do it. If you think it's crazy, I probably think it's just fine, but be prepared to pay more for extensive/involved mods.

Here is the original list of repairs I have done:

Nes 72 pin woes, no power, video issues
    Snes power issues
    Tg-16 power issues
    Turbo Express video, sound and power issues
    Turbo Duo sound issues related to bad caps, laser calibrations
    Psx laser calibration.
    Sega CD model 1 power and tray issues
    Arcade monitor cap kits
    Turbo CD calibration
    Various game cartridge repairs (battery replacement, "dead" carts, etc.)
    Various Jamma arcade pcb issues (video, sound, power, logic, etc. problems)
    Tons of other common issues consoles are known to have, and some uncommon ones as well.

Modding experience:
    Psx modchip installation
    Tg-16 region and rgb mods.
    Pce/Duo controller to tg-16 controller converter cable.
    Conversion of a tg-16 controller to pce and vice versa.
    Fdsloader cables.
    Saturn mod chip installation
    Atari 7800 s-video mod
    Colecovision composite mod (haven't gotten around to component out yet)
    Snes and Sega Genesis reprogrammable eprom cart
    Custom Rgb cable for Atari Jaguar, Genesis, and Snes
    Lots more I am forgetting

I have a top2049 eprom programmer that can program a nice variety of chips including pic controllers used for various modchips, unibioses (not the latest version; please see the unibios website for details), bioses in general such as the sega cd multiregion bios, etc. If you need anything involving that kind of thing, let me know.

Supergun I built for an online friend (Sorry for the crappy pics those were taken with the DSi's camera, the only camera i had available at the time:

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=6723.0

I am free and ready to go with the modding/repairs, so let me know what you need via pm, and we can go from there!
    Last edited by Lios; 09-04-2009 at 03:37 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have only gotten 1 offer for broken stuff, and two repair/mod work requests so far. Surely you guys have more broken stuff than that lying around?

While I am currently taking summer classes, I do have a little free time. I could do some simple jobs right now, no problem. Stuff like sram battery replacement, blown fuses or voltage regulators, whatever else that doesn't take long to diagnose and repair. As far as mods though, those are more time consuming, with the exception of psx modchip installs and possibly a few others.

Broken hardware is good but broken or "dead" cartridges or demagnetized (note, NOT physically damaged.) famicom disk system games are even better. I don't care if you think the roms are dead, if you don't need it I want it.

Don't feel offended if I turn down an offer on some cheap/free stuff, I do have limited space and I don't necessarily need 50 n64s lying around. Though if you are just hell bent on getting rid of it and are willing to pay shipping I am not sure if I could say no. Some things are simply not worth their weight in shipping sadly.

I should also note I do not do repairs on ps3 wii or 360 stuff, unless you guys just want to take a chance with a dead/bricked system and see if I can fix it. Ds and psp repairs are still up in the air.

If you need anything done, don't hesitate to ask, the worst I will do is just say no. Right now I will do most of repairs for CHEAP and most of the mods for a lot less than what others charge. Take advantage of my boredom and money situation, I will likely charge more when I can finally get a job.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a ton of broken stuff, including a Famicom, several NES consoles & a Sega CD Model 1. I wouldn't mind trading for a few repro carts + the cost of shipping this stuff. Let me know if that would be worth it to you.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i can vouche for Lios work and skill. great guy so don't be afraid to send him a PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

i have a jaguar cd system that has a clicking noise which is evidentally a problem with the transport..let me know if you can fix and estimate of how much..

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have broken two colecovision systems with atari expansion modules I want to get rid of. The expansion modules work, but I haven't been able to get the colecovisions to work. These aren't in the best condition and I've really only tried cleaning the games and connectors. I just haven't felt like taking them apart.

I also have a broken dreamcast I would like to get rid of. It has an issue with either the power supply or disk drive.

I don't know if you are interested in either, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

You think it's technically possible to reflash or replace the chips in japanese RPGs with the translated roms? I'm talking SFC games here.... they're useless to me in Japanese but it would be sweet to have them in english
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i can vouche for Lios work and skill. great guy so don't be afraid to send him a PM.
    Thanks for the kind words Soviet, feel free to send me some more of your stuff yourself.

i have a jaguar cd system that has a clicking noise which is evidentally a problem with the transport..let me know if you can fix and estimate of how much..
    I don't have any specific experience with jaq cd repairs, but I do have a jaguar I could use for troubleshooting one. No guarantees on the jag cd, but I can definitely take a look at it. As far as how much, I have no clue. Probably not much provided it does not require some expensive part replacements. If I can't fix it, you'd only be losing the cost of shipping.

I have broken two colecovision systems with atari expansion modules I want to get rid of. The expansion modules work, but I haven't been able to get the colecovisions to work. These aren't in the best condition and I've really only tried cleaning the games and connectors. I just haven't felt like taking them apart.

I also have a broken dreamcast I would like to get rid of. It has an issue with either the power supply or disk drive.

I don't know if you are interested in either, but I thought I'd ask.
    Actually I'd be interested in the coleco stuff, pm me what you had in mind for payment and we can go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    You think it's technically possible to reflash or replace the chips in japanese RPGs with the translated roms? I'm talking SFC games here.... they're useless to me in Japanese but it would be sweet to have them in english
    What you are asking is essentially the work involved in a repro minus a new label. Yes I can do it, but they are one of the more time consuming tasks. Shoot me a pm and I can put you on the queue. I can do it provided time permits.

Also, please send me your requests for work via pm, this way I can keep better track of who asked me to do what and when. I am already getting a sizable waiting list, and I don't want to mix up the first come first serve order. If you simply have something you want to give away/sell, pm is not so vital, unless you want work as a payment. Thanks

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BUMP

I am now free to start mods and repairs, so check it out.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This guy is the most knowledgeable person I know when it comes to electronics. I'm always pestering about this or that, the guy is a genius when it comes down to it. The man can do anything

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spazmonkey View Post
    This guy is the most knowledgeable person I know when it comes to electronics. I'm always pestering about this or that, the guy is a genius when it comes down to it. The man can do anything
    Thanks for the kind words. I wouldn't say everything per se, but I can do a lot .