Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorvision tabletop system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Colorvision tabletop system

This 1984 tabletop system looks a lot like the Entex Adventurevision, but it is reportedly even rarer. Unlike the Adventurevision, each game has an LCD built-into it, and was never released in the US. At least 5 games were made for it: Beasts Planet, Horror House, Jungle Boy, Monster Chase (pack-in), and Submarine. Depending on the country, it was either made by Romtec, Bristol, Bazin, Altic, and possibly others. The Romtec one seems to be by far the most known, followed by the Bristol.

I ordered one yesterday from England (Bristol, boxed), and it should be coming within the next two weeks, but I have some questions: Who here has one? Is there a registry? What exactly is this thing worth, and how many were sold/still exist? Did any other companies market them, and were they released outside of Europe? Any info at all on this system would be greatly appreciated!

Handheld Museum Colorvision article

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    This 1984 tabletop system looks a lot like the Entex Adventurevision, but it is reportedly even rarer. Unlike the Adventurevision, each game has an LCD built-into it, and was never released in the US. At least 5 games were made for it: Beasts Planet, Horror House, Jungle Boy, Monster Chase (pack-in), and Submarine. Depending on the country, it was either made by Romtec, Bristol, Bazin, Altic, and possibly others. The Romtec one seems to be by far the most known, followed by the Bristol.

I ordered one yesterday from England (Bristol, boxed), and it should be coming within the next two weeks, but I have some questions: Who here has one? Is there a registry? What exactly is this thing worth, and how many were sold/still exist? Did any other companies market them, and were they released outside of Europe? Any info at all on this system would be greatly appreciated!

Handheld Museum Colorvision article
    Pretty rare indeed.

The only one i know who still (dont' ??) have is DP Guide SLYDC

Maybe he can help on that matter.
    Oh eBay! you are such a pain, I am addicted to you like crack cocaine. You offer things I cannot find in stores,You are the pimp, and we are all your whores.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I remember seeing this at one of our shows. I do believe Billy Galaxy had one of these.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    namzep
    Steam
    namzep

An interesting concept for a system. So, the game being played is determined by what connections are being made from the LCD screen to the base unit? Would think this would've been pretty expensive back then, what with the LCD in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Found out that DP member y-bot has/had one, loose. Anyone else?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Cool! Never seen this. So does it have a filament display (or whatever they are called) like the Coleco tabletops, or are they more like the Tiger LCD handhelds or the Game and Watches (which would be weird if they are in color).

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

It finally arrived today! It comes with the game Monster Chase (called Chasse Aux Monstres here). Apparently, the Bristol version I have is French. The game is simple, like those LED games from the very early 80's. The system reflects the game off mirrors, and it is very simple. Here are pics I took real quick. The box is beat up, but it's all there. No instructions or inserts, but the system is in flawless condition, battery cover and all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

There's gotta be someone out there with more info on this system.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Whoa, it really uses mirrors like the Adventurevision! That's crazy...a color adventurevision. Any chance of videos?

Wait, it's not a spinning mirror, is it? Or does it just reflect the screen ONTO a mirror for viewing?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello,
    I'm french and I have a colorvision with 5 games which 4 are practically new in box with manual.
    If somebody is interesting, I can sell it.
    Kind regards.
    Jonathan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    Whoa, it really uses mirrors like the Adventurevision! That's crazy...a color adventurevision. Any chance of videos?

Wait, it's not a spinning mirror, is it? Or does it just reflect the screen ONTO a mirror for viewing?

-Rob
    I wish I had a video camera to do a video. Sadly, after a day of playing with this, it was put away in my gaming glass cabinet for display. Can't see myself playing this often, maybe twice a year at best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

So, any Colorvision experts here? Anyone? Just how rare is this thing in terms of numbers? How many companies made these, and which countries was it released in? I have reason to believe it's rarer than the Adventurevision. At least with those you may see a 10 or so on eBay each year. Not so with this system.

Insert Coin (Level 0) EColeman24's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow dude you really have a a true rare classic on your hands!! If you could snap a pic with it on and running then post it for us so we can see it in action in all it's classic glory!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have one of these as well, got it years ago. I have the Monster Chase game and the box for the system, nothing else.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rare indeed, probably less or equal to Adventurevision at best, probably not rarer. There's not much info on them aside from a few small articles on random sites and DP's database section for it.

Obscure to the max, someone should put an article together about it.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Insert Coin (Level 0) TwinChargers's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did anybody ever contact jonathanfrance44 about his Adventurevision and games? Bit too obscure for my blood, but curious on how much he was asking for it.
    These pretzels are making me thirsty!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    So, any Colorvision experts here? Anyone? Just how rare is this thing in terms of numbers? How many companies made these, and which countries was it released in? I have reason to believe it's rarer than the Adventurevision. At least with those you may see a 10 or so on eBay each year. Not so with this system.
    It's far less rare in Europe than the US (which makes sense, since it was never released here). I have two, paid $100 for one of them, and $50 for the other. Neither are boxed (boxed one in mint box would probably be around $300-400ish...) I know several collectors that have one (or more).

As for how it works, the cartridge contains an LCD panel and some connections. The console itself contains the CPU as well as controls and the batteries. This means that all the games are pre-programmed into the console, and some combination of crossing connections in the cartridge part determine what game is played. That also means that no new games could be written for the system (although additional games with creative use of the LCD could be made, using the same programming I suppose... but it never lasted long enough). Light shines through the LCD and reflects the image into an angled mirror (like the Nintendo Game & Watch tabletop games). There should also be an adapter that goes around the joystick to 'lock' it into only going two directions (for games that only needed two directions: left/right or up/down), and a little metal tool for removing this adapter. This would be stored in the small extra space in the battery compartment.

I believe the manufacturer is actually Romtec, and they licensed it to other distributors in various markets. Romtec, Bristol and Bazin are the most common (I have Romtec and Bristol).

I have pictures of the inside of a cartridge and the system at the bottom of the page here:
    http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Romtec/Colorvision.htm
    if you want to see what's actually in it...

I can bring one to CGE if anyone actually wants to see it in person (or even play it...)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TwinChargers View Post
    Did anybody ever contact jonathanfrance44 about his Adventurevision and games? Bit too obscure for my blood, but curious on how much he was asking for it.
    I am in the market for one and hadn't heard of this, got a link?

Quote Originally Posted by rik1138 View Post
    It's far less rare in Europe than the US (which makes sense, since it was never released here). I have two, paid $100 for one of them, and $50 for the other. Neither are boxed (boxed one in mint box would probably be around $300-400ish...) I know several collectors that have one (or more).

As for how it works, the cartridge contains an LCD panel and some connections. The console itself contains the CPU as well as controls and the batteries. This means that all the games are pre-programmed into the console, and some combination of crossing connections in the cartridge part determine what game is played. That also means that no new games could be written for the system (although additional games with creative use of the LCD could be made, using the same programming I suppose... but it never lasted long enough). Light shines through the LCD and reflects the image into an angled mirror (like the Nintendo Game & Watch tabletop games). There should also be an adapter that goes around the joystick to 'lock' it into only going two directions (for games that only needed two directions: left/right or up/down), and a little metal tool for removing this adapter. This would be stored in the small extra space in the battery compartment.

I believe the manufacturer is actually Romtec, and they licensed it to other distributors in various markets. Romtec, Bristol and Bazin are the most common (I have Romtec and Bristol).

I have pictures of the inside of a cartridge and the system at the bottom of the page here:
    http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Romtec/Colorvision.htm
    if you want to see what's actually in it...

I can bring one to CGE if anyone actually wants to see it in person (or even play it...)
    Thank you very much for the info. Would you happen to know how many may have been manufactured? I have no idea on the actual number, it just seems that it is very rarely on eBay. I saw only one in all of 2009. I guess that's because eBay is majority US.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I recently got my hands on another Colorvision, this time from France. I just made the first known Colorvision video. Enjoy!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This looks neat. It was probably released as a cheap knockoff back in the day. The screen reminds me of those colored VFDs like those used in the Coleco tabletops. Is it obnoxiously loud too? ha hah.