Thread: GBA e-Reader and Pokemon Trading Cards?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Default GBA e-Reader and Pokemon Trading Cards?

I've searched and can't seem to find the answers to my questions on this subject, so I'm bringing it to the experts. I recently found an e-Reader Gameboy bundle and purchased it to add to the collection. Soon after, I learned that e-cards were packed into standard Pokemon trading card packs and it turns out my kids are Huge Pokemon fans and have some of these in their collections. So, my question is, what do we do with them? I don't think they are battle cards or anything, just the pack-ins in the packs and when I scan them to the e-reader, they just give info about the pokemon pictured on the card.

I thought that you could use a link cable to get special attacks or something to your Pokemon game. We connected two GB's and loaded Pokemon emerald and yellow while scanning cards and nothing happened. I looked online for some instructions, step-by-step or otherwise to help us out and I'm stumped.

Anyone wanna help me out? My sons would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Some of the early e-Cards in the TCG had two bar codes... one on the bottom and one on the side. The one on the bottom gave you Pokedex info, while scanning the code on the side would give you an animation or a minigame to play; often this would require scanning two or three different cards to get the complete program.
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...Base_Set_(TCG))

Now, in addition to the TCG, Nintendo also released e-Battle cards, which were compatable with Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire. By scanning them in, you would either get a new opponent to battle against, or get a special berry.
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...le_e:_Series_1
    Last edited by joshnickerson; 07-11-2009 at 09:06 PM.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Josh is correct - the Pokemon trading card game cards with barcode information did not link up with the main games in any way, shape, or form. There were also some promotional trading card game cards with e-Reader information that had the same type of into on it.

IMO really not worth investing in; the animations were brief and the mini-games were really just Wario Inc type of games...but it took you at least 15-20 seconds to scan all the cards AFTER you'd pulled the appropriate ones out of your files. I had a bunch of these, but I sold them all. The cards for SMB3 were way better. I've been meaning to see if I can get some of the Japanese cards printed up; I have the barcodes somewhere. They require a pretty high-res printer, though.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Deadman. Yeah, they're not battle cards. You can use them to supplement the battle game though. I.E. if there is a Pokemon whose attack requires a coin toss, scan it and it may have an app for the coin toss.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click