Thread: Vintage Game Stores in Maryland?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Vintage Game Stores in Maryland?

I'm really new to Maryland(I'm staying in Ellicott City this summer for a co-op job) and I was wondering if there are any good places to buy vintage games around. I've tried a few flea markets, but they were barren of anything older than PS2. Are there any good pawn shops, flea markets, or actual used game storefronts around here(It should go without saying that Gamestop doesn't count)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Power Gamer Glen Burnie Mall. Next to Toys r us. Dude i live in Ellicott City myself.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll have to check that out, I haven't actually been to the mall in Glen Burnie yet. Do they carry Atari, NES, Genesis, Turbografx, etc or is it geared more toward the PS2 and 360? Either way, I'll probably give it a try since it is so close.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

Power Gamer has a modest selection of Genesis and SNES titles, as well as a decent amount of N64 and PS1. Last I was there they had some good 2600 titles, but it's been a good while. There is another Power Gamer in Reisterstown, but it's more of the same I must say.

It's a shame, their heyday was earlier in the decade, as was Maryland's general selection of game stores. Unfortunately, it's mostly the land of Gamestop now .
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, that's good to hear. I was a little afraid it would be a Gamestop clone. Somehow Gamestop manages to take all the fun out of hunting for video games.

I didn't actually bring my old systems to Maryland with me, but the money from my co-op job is burning a hole in my pocket and I really want to hunt through some piles of older games so I'll take any store I can get.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Something's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Power Gamer (Glen Burnie)

They carry Atari and NES games but they aren't displayed so you'll have to ask to see them. As for Genesis, they actually have a display case dedicated to it but they only carry loose games. As far as I know they don't have any TG16 games unless someone traded some in recently. I remember they had a TG16 system once but they wanted $80 for it... oh and they had a loose copy of keith courage.

I'd hate to say something bad about them but thier pricing is all over the place. You could pay up to 89.99 for a loose copy of Chrono Trigger for Snes or as low as $15 for a complete copy of Tomba! for PS1. Usually they will try to price gouge on more popular games, but once in a while a lesser known but more valuable title will slip through the cracks with a low price. That's pretty much the main reason I go there. My biggest find there was probably a used copy of Dungeons and Dragons collection for Saturn they had priced at 24.99.

As far as I know, here's all the "classic" systems they carry games for.

Atari (2600,5200,7800)
    Sega (Master System, Genesis, GameGear, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast)
    Nintendo (NES, Gameboy/Color, SNES, N64)
    Playstation 1
    TurboGrafx-16 (Maybe)

They do carry Import games as well. I know they have imports for PS1, Saturn, Dreamcast and PS2.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just went there today, I really enjoyed the store. They had a pretty good deal to look at. Their Sega CD stock surprised me(all the games sucked, but there was a lot of them). No Turbografx though I ended up walking out of there with a Sega Dreamcast and a $2.00 copy of Conquest of the Crystal Palace. But I plan on going back sometime to invest in a couple of imported Sega Saturn games.

I can see exactly what Something means though. While some of their prices seem fairly cheap for what they are, some shocked me. EX. $40 for Wild Arms 2