Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Any rare PC games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well for me it's a collection and a gaming choice. I now am on my second copy of it as of this last month, the first was retail out of an old Price Club back in the day for $20 and I played the crap out of it. I liked the whole package deal, and the fact it ran at the right speed on a modern PC (still does too) and was just all there in a nice package. It's a fun one that's for sure and it's good you can still get the secret ops/missions addons but surprised me then and now why the hell they didn't just include it on the disc.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by postulio View Post
    There are tons of PC game collectors, with communities scatter throughout the web (do some searching).

The only real 'holy grail' PC games are ones that created a genre or changed gaming forever, and we are talking original releases here. Things like Akalabeth and Colossal Cave Adventure. However these are super old and 'rare' doesnt even begin to describe it.

Since anyone can make any game they want and release it on PC (in any quantity), there are probably thousands upon thousands of obscure "rare" games you can find, yet they aren't worth diddly squat.

What may mean a lot to one collector, another won't even keep for free. I am sure those Japanese Neverhood versions are sought after by Neverhood fans but it isn't like having a Nintendo World Championship cart, where it is highly sought after by every serious NES collector. This may be actually why PC collecting scares off so many people. A game on auction today may fetch $400 because three interested parties noticed it, a month later it may sell for $50 because only one has seen it. Only really popular franchises (like Ultima) are always monitored and sought after by many many people.

Because of the [relative] lack of organization of PC releases, it is difficult to assign any kind of value to the truly rare and obscure stuff.

PC collectors tend to collect either stuff that has a personal meaning to them (favorite genres or series or nostalgic games from their childhood), or revolutionary milestone games (like the two I first mentioned).
    I have large pc collection and since pc gaming is/was so huge and varied I only collect for the most part stuff that has personal meaning to me. Pc games take up so much space and there are sooooo many random games spanning decades to just randomly collect like console gaming Is crazy to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tyalmath
    Steam
    Tyalmath

Quote Originally Posted by Panzerfuzion View Post
    Pc games take up so much space and there are sooooo many random games spanning decades to just randomly collect like console gaming Is crazy to me.
    Haha, I uh... may be guilty of doing this. You know you really have a problem when you start collecting variants.

For me, PC is pretty much the one platform where I can still come across games I have never seen or heard of before. Even with digital distribution, places like GoG or Steam only offer a tiny fraction of what's out there. That, combined with the fact that PC games can be pretty much just given away at yard sales or thrift stores, makes it hard for me not to collect. Another reason is that I've been pretty big on digital archiving and preservation for the platform. I know there are groups out there doing this (of which, I should probably look into more) but it's always just been a personal OCD-ish thing of mine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been actively collecting PC big boxes for about a year now and I'm starting to get to that point where I only still need the really hard to find ones
    I have the EU version of Wolfenstein 3D big box, but still need an US version. Also still looking for most of the Commander Keen games and a lot more old classics

- Playstationcollecting.com .. The online Playstation Collecting Community
    The PlaystationCollecting.com Database and Collection Tool
    Twitter - Facebook - YouTube - Forum
    - Visit My Retro Video Game Store! -

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xtincthed View Post
    I've been actively collecting PC big boxes for about a year now and I'm starting to get to that point where I only still need the really hard to find ones
    I have the EU version of Wolfenstein 3D big box, but still need an US version. Also still looking for most of the Commander Keen games and a lot more old classics
    Which version(s) of the Wolfenstein 3D big box do you have?

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still have all the floppys for Dungeon Hack on our old 386 plus the manual which is pretty extensive and describes all the monsters. Other than that can't think of much special or rare stuff I have for the PC. Somewhere around here in a file cabinet I should have Total Annihilation Kingdoms with the box and manual but I doubt that's all that rare.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not sure about valuable, but this one seems to be rare.

It's a DOS game from around 1988 called "Level 42". Or at least that's what I think it's called.

The format is a lot like Galaga or Astro Blaster.

A very fun game. I have yet to be able to find mention of it anywhere on the web and the guy I knew who had that one has long since sold his old 286.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Round 42.
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/round-42

As rare as most PC games from 1986 these days, I would think.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sysop View Post
    Which version(s) of the Wolfenstein 3D big box do you have?
    The UK version (with Hitler and swastika on the front)

- Playstationcollecting.com .. The online Playstation Collecting Community
    The PlaystationCollecting.com Database and Collection Tool
    Twitter - Facebook - YouTube - Forum
    - Visit My Retro Video Game Store! -

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Round 42.
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/round-42

As rare as most PC games from 1986 these days, I would think.

AAAaaaaaa! Thank you!!!

Well, you know what I'll be playing on the weekend...