Thread: US Videogame Sales Have Biggest Drop In 9 Years [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post US Videogame Sales Have Biggest Drop In 9 Years [Slashdot]

alphadogg writes "The recession appears to have finally caught up with the video game market. Sales of video game hardware and software were down by around one-third in June compared to the same month last year. After initially showing positive growth as the US slid into recession, the latest figures mark the fourth month of declines and the largest year-on-year decline in almost 9 years. 'The first half of the year has been tough largely due to comparisons against a stellar first half performance last year, but still, this level of decline is certainly going to cause some pain and reflection in the industry,' said Anita Frazier, a games analyst with NPD Group. She added, 'The size of the decline could also point to consumers deferring limited discretionary spending until a big event (must-have new title, hardware price cut) compels them to spend.' The entire video game market in the US was worth $1.2 billion in June, down 31 percent from the same period last year, according to NPD Group."
    Read more of this story at Slashdot.
    </img>
    </img>

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Snumedahl11

I would just like to offer a few thoguhts on this. The decline is more of a correction. The numbers of the past year or two, especially for the Wii, have been skewed. People who would never have bought a console have been buying them, and in record numbers and at a record pace. The PS2 took 7-8-9 years to reach the numbers that the Wii has reached after 2.

This happens in all industries that see a spike and jump on the thought of quick, never-ending increases. It can't be sustained. And those companies that have leveraged themselves poorly, for short term gain as compared to long-term may well be the ones who falter, but the powerhouses should be just fine. The number of games and the quality of the majority are better than they have ever been.

Just my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by snume View Post
    I would just like to offer a few thoguhts on this. The decline is more of a correction. The numbers of the past year or two, especially for the Wii, have been skewed. People who would never have bought a console have been buying them, and in record numbers and at a record pace. The PS2 took 7-8-9 years to reach the numbers that the Wii has reached after 2.
    50 million Nintendo Wii's have been sold. Sony had sold 50 million Playstation 2's in just slightly less than three years (From the Japanese launch, its worth noting that launches elsewhere were over 6 months later), and had sold 100 million Playstation 2's in 5 years and 9 months after launch. Much quicker than 50 million Playstation 2's in 7-9 years (They're at about 140 million 9 years in).

Barely any quicker. The Playstation 2 sold 50 million in 34 months from its initial launch in Japan (With launches outside of Japan happening 7-8 months afterwards), compared to 50 million Nintendo Wii's in 28 months with a worldwide launch happening in the same time frame.

I'd say when you take into account the significantly later release of the Playstation 2 in regions like North America, the Nintendo Wii is just about even with the Playstation 2 at the same time in it's history.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 07-17-2009 at 01:39 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is probably just the impact of Grand Theft Auto IV....

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

To be honest, this sounds like a load of crap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Doesnt suprise me at all. The game sales market has been in need of a correction for a long time. Here is what I think is why

1. The casual gamer craze to buy casual games have died down a bit. It will always be there, but I think that one too many shovelware games have hit the market. People are fed up with the mass amounts of BS to choose from

2. More used game choices. The prices at Game stores have been great as of late. I walked into Gamestop and walked out with five PS2 titles for under $15. All non sports titles.

3. Classic gaming is getting more mainsteam. Now that video games have been around for over 35 years, more people are just playing the old stuff instead. Good for them.

4. The gaming industry needs to figure it out that gamers

1. Will not just buy any sequel
    2. Actually care about quality
    3. Shovelware is not going to cut it.

Dont get me wrong, there is a TON of great stuff coming out, but the industry is overwhelming the population with generic spin offs, sequels, and stuff that should never be made in the first place. It is like yearly sequals apply to all games.

That my friend is bullshit
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People buy less shit when they're unemployed? This astounds me! Teach me more about this magical recession economics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There was a big drop 9 years ago? I totally don't remember that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    50 million Nintendo Wii's have been sold. Sony had sold 50 million Playstation 2's in just slightly less than three years (From the Japanese launch, its worth noting that launches elsewhere were over 6 months later), and had sold 100 million Playstation 2's in 5 years and 9 months after launch. Much quicker than 50 million Playstation 2's in 7-9 years (They're at about 140 million 9 years in).

Barely any quicker. The Playstation 2 sold 50 million in 34 months from its initial launch in Japan (With launches outside of Japan happening 7-8 months afterwards), compared to 50 million Nintendo Wii's in 28 months with a worldwide launch happening in the same time frame.

I'd say when you take into account the significantly later release of the Playstation 2 in regions like North America, the Nintendo Wii is just about even with the Playstation 2 at the same time in it's history.
    Perhaps so, but the Wii is literally blowing it out of the water when it comes to top 5 software sales for each system. Wii Play is so far out ahead it's not even funny anymore.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    People buy less shit when they're unemployed? This astounds me! Teach me more about this magical recession economics.
    Lol, true true.

Really though, maybe people are tired of Guitar Hero MCMXXVI and their annual Madden fix? Sequelitis should be addressed, because some people don't have enough disposable income to drop $60.00 per game, especially when they're a let down.

Oh, and piracy? Most of my friends have hacked Wiis and 360s... I love video games too much to not support them by buying them, personally.