Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaming "facts" people have told you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Gaming "facts" people have told you?

I was just "reliably" informed by a friend that Microsoft bought out Sega and then sold the rights to Sonic to Nintendo some years ago. They were adamant this was true, despite my trying to correct them. Unfortunately this resulted in me exploding in gamers rage and had a rather long rant at them and eventually proved they were wrong.

Anything like this happened to any of you guys?
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A (rather stupid) kid at school told me their was going to be a mario guitar hero, I believed him at first

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Swamperon View Post
    I was just "reliably" informed by a friend that Microsoft bought out Sega and then sold the rights to Sonic to Nintendo some years ago. They were adamant this was true, despite my trying to correct them. Unfortunately this resulted in me exploding in gamers rage and had a rather long rant at them and eventually proved they were wrong.

Anything like this happened to any of you guys?
    My friend does that. He says that Nintendo is owned by Sony and Sony's owned by Microsoft. ANd I don't believe it, because last 4th of July, he made bomb fireworks out of Works toilet bowl cleaner and other things. Yeah, he's that dumb.

The only one I believe is that Nintendo might have a say in Sony's decisions because of the SNES CD deals and the fact that PSX was going to have a SFC cart slot once.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back in the early 90's I was told "Sega and Nintendo are owned by the same Japanese company" which was to explain how they could legally insult each other in commercials.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was told that if you leave your n64 turned on for too long, it will start on fire (literally)

Strawberry (Level 2) Game Freak's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was told by one of my brother's dumb friends (my brother himself is borderline failing) that thought he was the know it all of everything, that there was a Halo coming out for the Wii. No matter how many times I insisted that was never going to happen, he stuck to his word, so I eventually ignored him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

I remember some kid telling me that a device that allowed you to play Game Boy games on your Nintendo 64 does exist (This was long before Pokémon Stadium, and the Transfer Pak, came out), which he claimed was called "Super Game Boy 64".

Being the Nintendo fanboy I was at the time, it led into a debate over it's existance; ending with me pointing out it's not shown on Nintendo's official website or mentioned in Nintendo Power, so therefore, it doesn't exist.

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PentiumMMX View Post
    I remember some kid telling me that a device that allowed you to play Game Boy games on your Nintendo 64 does exist (This was long before Pokémon Stadium, and the Transfer Pak, came out), which he claimed was called "Super Game Boy 64".

Being the Nintendo fanboy I was at the time, it led into a debate over it's existance; ending with me pointing out it's not shown on Nintendo's official website or mentioned in Nintendo Power, so therefore, it doesn't exist.
    There was an unlicensed GB player called Game Booster released around 1998. I remember my dad getting one in, and the thing let out satanic messages while we tried it with Metroid II.

I remember a game store clerk telling me he owned Final Fantasy II for NES which was released for a week, then recalled.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Maybe he'd heard about the Wide Boy?

I've heard so many of these things throught the years, I've lost track. My wife thinks I'm kind of weird because I let people tell me stuff I know is complete bullshit and I don't call them on it. I just like to hear what kind of crazy stories people believe (or expect other people to believe.)
    Last edited by Captain Wrong; 07-18-2009 at 07:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

Blowing on a cartridge helps get the dust out so your NES games will work. Honest.
    "Enduro" is a symbolic journey through life via the media of a race.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

We used to sell those pieces of crap at Funcoland.

They're not licensed and they don't play the GB audio, but they totally exist.

Behold:

"And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There were also official ones created by Nintendo for game development, testing, shows, and to give to reviewers for taking video and screenshots of games. It was called the Wide-Boy 64.

So your friend was the one that was correct.

Edit - Missed someone else already mentioning it.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hellfire View Post
    A (rather stupid) kid at school told me their was going to be a mario guitar hero, I believed him at first
    Maybe he meant Lego Rock Band... It's a hype synergistic hybrid of Frankenstein's monster and Voltron. About the same as Mario Guitar Hero would be.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GBA devkits used what is essentially a Super Game Boy 64 for its TV out. I believe you could plug a regular GBA cart into it as well.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A few weeks ago in a chat room some dumb ass was trying to convince me that Sony owns the Final Fantasy series and thats why they got the majority of the FF games during the last two gens. I then asked him why Sony would let a FF game be released on a competing system(360) and he just left the chat after realizing that ignorance only gets you so far
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

A guy at a local gamestore keeps trying to sell me on the 360 claiming it's the most reliable system of all time spouting sales numbers to justify it as fact. I dont bother arguing it as I'm normaly too busy trying to breath thru the laughter. As he's sent his back 6x already I figure he's smoking something I want nothing to do with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to have the Game Booster. Sucks that it didn't play sound but it was reliable when my game boy died and I had no extra batteries on me.

When I was in fourth/fifth grade, there was this kid in my class who came from the UK and used to convince me all school year that the UK is the most amazing videogame haven ever and the 64DD was released there and Mario Paint 64 came out there and you could edit tracks in Mario Kart 64 and create characters in Goldeneye and all sorts of other crazy bullshit.

Yeah, I fell for it all. But then later on he kept saying I should "lend" my N64 to him so he can attach an extra 64DD he had to it and give it back to me. It was there my bullshit meter started to kick back in gear.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was recently told that Microsoft bought the rights to the "God of War" series, and "God of War 3" would be an XBox 360 exclusive... lol

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going "Classic Gaming" for this one.

A kid in 6th grade told me that the Game Genie would allow you to create your own weapons in SMB3. He himself had created a boomerang weapon for mario to use.

The greatest story I have ever been told

Gamecube/PS2/XBOX games should all work on all the other systems because they all pretty much run on DOS.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

A friend of mine told me "Nintendo never makes a bad game." That's so far from the truth it's not even funny.

When Final Fantasy started actually getting big in the US, I've actually heard someone say FF7 was the first game in the series. I don't know exactly how it was worded, but yeah. Person could have meant that it was the first one released here, but then he'd have still been wrong.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.