Thread: PC engine question

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PC engine question

Is it worth it buy a PC engine core grafx without intention of buying cd-rom adapter? What games would you recommend for the PC engine?
    Last edited by percy10; 07-20-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Yes, there a many Japanese HuCards that are worth it and quite cheap. Most people goes for the Duo when they want to play CDROM games
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eskobar View Post
    Yes, there a many Japanese HuCards that are worth it and quite cheap. Most people goes for the Duo when they want to play CDROM games
    Which you will want to do eventually. If you restrict yourself to the hucard games you're passing up some of the best games the system has to offer. And adding the CD attachment (plus Super System Card or Arcade Card Pro) down the road will almost definitely end up costing you more than just starting off with a Duo/R/RX.

Many people opt for either a black Turbo Duo/PCE Duo, or a white PCE Duo-R or RX. Note that hucards are region-locked (US or JP) and either system will need to be modded to play cards from the other region, but CD games are not region-locked and can play on either system. Also many of the black Duo systems have sound capacitor issues sooner or later, which is fixable but may be beyond your means if you don't have the skill to replace them. There are members on www.pcenginefx.com and probably here that could do it, but I am not one of them, heh.

I have a white PCE Duo-R (JP) region-modded by a member on the site I listed above. Combined with the Arcade Card Duo I have access to the entire TG16/PCE and CD library (minus the 6 or so SuperGrafx games). Total cost for everything was about $275; Significantly more than just a stand-alone TG16 or PCE system would have been, but the convenience of being able to play everything on this single unit was worth it to me.

If you don't plan on ever getting into the CD library, then yeah go with just the PCE or CoreGrafx I/II (which is damn small, and sexy). Note that you won't be able to play US TG16 titles without having the system modded.
    Last edited by jperryss; 07-20-2009 at 09:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Firebomber7

Get a PCE, then find a Super CD-ROM2 add-on later if you want. You might get one in the $100 range if you wait long enough and they do not need a System 3.0 card. Remember, the Super CD-ROM2 is the brown/orange one that plugs into the back, not the original white suitcase model. Getting a Duo right away is probably cheaper overall, but getting the PCE first and then a Super CD-ROM isn't a bad idea either.