Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is the what's it worth forum,not the search ebay completed listings for me forum

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

Default This is the what's it worth forum,not the search ebay completed listings for me forum

Really--half the things asked about here don't need a thread, a large amount of them are commonly found on ebay, amazon etc and you can easily gather prices from looking at that. Those sites define the going rate, and their facts are more useful than some random guy's opinion of what he would pay for them or what he saw them sell for.

This forum is for things that are rare and don't pop up very often, not the stack of common Xbox 360 or PS1 games you got at a yard sale.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Please realize that common sense is no longer common. Enough said.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RoyVegas View Post
    Truer words were never spoken.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The issue I have with these "whats it worth" threads is that atleast half the time the person that asked doesn't want to sell it for the price people recommend to them. They almost always want to sell it for higher and would rather light it on fire with gasoline then sell it for cheaper than it's worth. If thats how you really feel than why make a "whats it worth" thread in the first place?
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Yes, if someone just wants to know what they can expect to sell something on eBay for then looking at completed listing is a good place to start. But Ebay isn't quite a de facto standard for what something is worth. There's more factors involved such as varying conditions and shipping. I know when I buy things I always factor the cost of shipping into the bid. If shipping was $5 should you add $5 to the bid amount when comming up with your "what's it worth" value? How do you know buyer didn't pick it up or combine multiple items? How do you know if they paid for insurance? Too many variables for a clean cut value. Sometimes it might be better to ask the people on here who know their stuff than a randomly fluctuating market.
    Last edited by jb143; 07-24-2009 at 02:05 PM.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

i guess some people maybe are not registered on ebay and cant do a completed listings search also.
    Autobots. Roll out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by RoyVegas View Post
    Hear hear.

Truth contained in above quote = high. I think lots of people are just too lazy to look for themselves nowadays.
    DERP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I try only to use What's It's Worth for rare items like the Boxed Stack up, or Arkanoid with vaus controller. Those don't come up often on ebay often enough.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by darkslime View Post
    Really--half the things asked about here don't need a thread, a large amount of them are commonly found on ebay, amazon etc and you can easily gather prices from looking at that. Those sites define the going rate, and their facts are more useful than some random guy's opinion of what he would pay for them or what he saw them sell for.
    You mean you pay ebay rates when you buy stuff from yard sales, flea markets, other collectors, Gamestop, the marketplace forum, etc.?

This forum is for things that are rare and don't pop up very often, not the stack of common Xbox 360 or PS1 games you got at a yard sale.
    Where is that definition? In the FAQ?*

Does this thread fall into that half of the things that don't need a thread?

*you know, based on the forum description, I guess there is some truth to what you are saying. I just don't find that the forum is overwhelmed with the types of threads you are complaining about. And there is a lazy-ass mod to take care of that if it does actually happen. ;-)
    Last edited by Kid Ice; 07-24-2009 at 03:20 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) cityside75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments, my thread asking for approximate values for some uncommon Wisdom Tree Gameboy games got a grand total of zero responses. I searched ebay first and after finding little there, I posed it to everyone here but got no response.

As of this writing the "Xbox 360 and 12 games" thread has gotten 11 responses and counting.

So what is to be concluded from this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

Maybe its because no one really knew about the wisdom tree gameboy games. I would help if I knew anything about them, but unfortunately didn't even know wisdom tree made gameboy games.

Strawberry (Level 2) cityside75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This forum is for things that are rare and don't pop up very often
    Maybe its because no one really knew about the wisdom tree gameboy games.
    This may be the root of the problem right here
    Last edited by cityside75; 07-24-2009 at 04:34 PM.

Cherry (Level 1) ErmangelnSeelen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by coreys429 View Post
    I try only to use What's It's Worth for rare items like the Boxed Stack up, or Arkanoid with vaus controller. Those don't come up often on ebay often enough.
    Same...although, there are some variations with "common" items. For example, the last PS2 network adapter I sold was for $50 on ebay, after having it listed here for over a week at $35. Some things vary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

That is because the majority of people here know you can buy a network adapter for $15 at gamestop.
    The people on ebay buy hundreds of them a month and sell them to distributors overseas for even more money who in turn sell them to people for more money than that to be used for piracy.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    i guess some people maybe are not registered on ebay and cant do a completed listings search also.
    I'm not registered on ebay so looking up completed auctions isn't that easy for me. I usually keep an eye out for auctions that are still going, and just check back after they ended as they're still in my history.

As for ebay pricing in general, there's plenty of stuff I see selling for $30-$50 on ebay that barely sells locally for $5-$10. There's plenty of times I price stuff cheaper than the ebay rate, some prices I consider to be crazy and I wouldn't ask that much from other people/collectors. A few months ago I saw copies of Action 52 for the NES selling for over $100 all cart only, I tend to ask around $40-$50 for a loose cartridge if I manage to get an extra copy(if I priced it $100 at a swap meet I'd look like a ripoff, that's way too high a price). Ebay is good at pricing rare stuff that doesn't turn up often, not common or somewhat rare stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cityside75 View Post
    While I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments, my thread asking for approximate values for some uncommon Wisdom Tree Gameboy games got a grand total of zero responses. I searched ebay first and after finding little there, I posed it to everyone here but got no response.

As of this writing the "Xbox 360 and 12 games" thread has gotten 11 responses and counting.

So what is to be concluded from this?
    I saw that thread but didn't know what it would be worth, I wouldn't just guess an amount if I had no idea of the value. Sorry you didn't get any replies yet.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well that's the other thing tho, I'm not sure how many of us could tell you what you'd get for something at a swapmeet. I can tell you right now a swapmeet in Seattle would have higher game prices than one in, say, Montana. At least that would be my guess considering how high prices are around here and from what I've seen at local swapmeets (further south than Seattle, I don't think we actually HAVE any swapmeets here).
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Strawberry (Level 2) Pezcore343's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

I think also the thing is that eBay prices are very often not what something is "worth". One big reason I, personally, may post something in the WIW forum is because I want to make sure I'm not overpaying for something on eBay/Craigslist/whatever. But I do sympathize with your feelings that there are some rather silly posts here.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pezcore343 View Post
    I think also the thing is that eBay prices are very often not what something is "worth". One big reason I, personally, may post something in the WIW forum is because I want to make sure I'm not overpaying for something on eBay/Craigslist/whatever. But I do sympathize with your feelings that there are some rather silly posts here.
    This is why I don't really like the idea of there being some sort of "rules" to this forum. So long as the intent is clearly stated in the post, something like this, or the above "swapmeet" post wouldn't and shouldn't be held up to ridicule. The problem is really when people just don't want to do any legwork and either a) ask for the value of a large group of common items or b) ask the value of a very common title. I think that's mostly what this topic is trying to address, rather than just being a blanket statement about "go find it for yourself on Ebay!" There are certain things that people here either can't or won't help with.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

What mobiusclimber said is basically what I was trying to say. Topics are cool, but if you just want to know how much to sell common items for online, just look at completed listings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

round and round we go, as it has been said many times, ebay is the price guide for what something is worth, if you are talking about about on a nationwide scale, what something is worth locally means nothing on dp because we are from all over the country. And none of you are going to sell your stuff for anything but a close to ebay price in most cases. Ebay is the most accurate pricing for things bottom line, unless it is something rare that fluctuates in price or cant be found on ebay.
    Autobots. Roll out.