Thread: Kirby Super Star Ultra DS (Spoilers)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Kirby Super Star Ultra DS (Spoilers)

Yarg! I was kind of unimpressed with how easy this game seemed compared to when I last gave it a whirl years and years ago on the SNES. But then I started unlocking the bonus content and it changed my outlook completely.

Helper Arena and The True Arena are so infuriating! They seem so tantalizingly doable, and yet at the same time, so challenging! I'm getting so tired of playing for ten minutes and then getting wiped out (or nearly so) by Wham Bam Jewel (in either game); I've only made it to Marx Soul twice.

Has anyone else been playing this?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Haven't played it since it's release, but the Helper Challenge or whatever it was called was very difficult.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

...See, I made that post because I knew right afterwards I would finally finish the darn thing. I read on GameFAQs that a) opponents in the Arena have less health if you don't use a helper, and b) that Plasma power (especially when combined with blocking) kicks major tush. That's pretty much all I needed to know.

Now I just have to decide if I'm crazy enough to finish Helper Arena with the remaining characters. (Yay, Parasol!)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Personally, I found Helper Arena to be hardest with Capsule J. Even in the original, I could never get the hang of the Jet power.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deltoid Steep
    PSN
    Deltoid-Steep

the only thing i havent beaten yet is the true arena. ive been stuck there for months. ive made it to the final boss numerous times but i always screw up and cost myself the game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by deltoidsteep View Post
    the only thing i havent beaten yet is the true arena. ive been stuck there for months. ive made it to the final boss numerous times but i always screw up and cost myself the game
    It's all about the plasma. A very handy feature is that you can build up a charge (by rotating the control pad) while guarding, and the field that subsequently surrounds you protects you even more. Suddenly the original Arena is practically trivial!

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy Color View Post
    Personally, I found Helper Arena to be hardest with Capsule J. Even in the original, I could never get the hang of the Jet power.
    Yep, that was the last one I needed - and I ended up finishing with my second-fastest time, after Bonkers. Seems the GameFAQs people were right about that one. One very useful tip I learned there is that you can store power just by tapping L or R instead of having to jump.

Yay, finished! That was so freaking amusing I might just do it again sometime. I should add that I really like how the cinematics for each game come up automatically when you start; it never occurred to me to wait at the title screens when I played the game on the SNES, so the Milky Way Wishes story was thoroughly confusing.
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 07-26-2009 at 08:20 PM.