Thread: Grand Slam Tennis Wii

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Grand Slam Tennis Wii

I didn't see a discussion on Grand Slam Tennis for the Wii, so I thought I'd start one.

Is anyone else blown away by this game!?!? I have been dreaming of a tennis game like this since the Wii was first announced. I thought Mario would do it first (the Gamecube game with Wii control doesn't count), but this is even better for real tennis fans. This game is a true landmark release for the genre and is the real deal.

The player roster is decent enough (no Agassi or several others I would have liked to see - though the inclusion of Boris Becker is ACE), the real Slams are in the game, and the tennis is the best yet due to the Wii remote (especially with the Motion Plus, though it is totally awesome without it too).

That said, I'd say that the best surprise for me was that the multiplayer is split screen like Wii Sports! Thank God. Sega Superstars Tennis was absolutely killed by that. You cannot play motion tennis backwards enjoyably, or effectively for that matter. Dream come true.

Anyway, just had to share. Time to go back to playing!
    Last edited by klausien; 07-26-2009 at 04:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How does it compare to Virtua Tennis 2009?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    How does it compare to Virtua Tennis 2009?
    Virtua Tennis 2009 doesn't have split-screen multiplayer, exactly like Sega Superstars. For me, this fact = FAIL. Playing backwards is ok with a pad, but it simply does not work with motion controls.

It is also a port, as opposed to Grand Slam, which has been designed from the ground up for the Wii.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't tried Grand Slam yet, but Virtua Tennis 2009 is awesome. The World Tour mode is a great way to play - create a character and compete in tourneys and minigame challenges around the world, working your way up to a #1 ranking. You can also hop online at any time, right from within that mode - no friend codes required for a quick/ranked match. Definitely a fun an well-done career mode, but you can also do quick matches selecting your favorite pro player (who definitely play uniquely based on their real-life strenghts) or do minigames. The minigames are hit or miss, mostly miss, but the main game is excellent. Plus, it looks like a real tennis game, not Disney tennis. I just hate the ugly, big-headed art direction of Grand Slam. If I wanted cartoon tennis I'd buy Mario Tennis, or Disney/Backyard tennis or something. I want my sports games to look like the sport. The framerate isn't always the smoothest around, but the lighting, courts and player animations are still very cool-looking and during the match the game runs well. On the downside, the tutorials are just awful. Fortunatley, with WM+ you don't really need tutorials. One other big annoying thing is that you have to select the WM+ control option EVERY time you start a game. That makes no sense. It's only a second or two to switch on, but come on, guys.

Overall, I'd highly recommend it. VT 2009 is $10 cheaper than Grand Slam, and has great controls, excellent online, fantastic World Tour mode, and solid graphics and presentation.
    Last edited by BydoEmpire; 07-26-2009 at 06:47 PM.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klausien View Post
    Virtua Tennis 2009 doesn't have split-screen multiplayer, exactly like Sega Superstars. For me, this fact = FAIL. Playing backwards is ok with a pad, but it simply does not work with motion controls.
    Yeah, you said that already. I really don't care about that one aspect. I'm more interested in how the rest of the game compares.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is also a port, as opposed to Grand Slam, which has been designed from the ground up for the Wii.
    I couldn't care less if it's a port, as long as it's a good game. RE4 was a port and it's great. Twilight Princess was a port and it's great. Godfather was a port and it was very good. Strawberry Shortcake's Waggle Party and the like are built "from the ground up" for Wii and they suck.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!