Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Default MMMC - Joust 2

Ok, sorry for lateness. Got unexpectedly pulled away this morning.

Anyway, this week the random number generator pulled up the lovely little game JOUST 2 Electric Boogaloo (ok, I added the last part).

Club Rules

01. You do not need to sign up for the club. If you want to participate, simply download the game of the week and post about it!

02. At the end of the week, I will randomly select a game from a list of nominations.

03. The current MAME Club Pick of the Week can be found every Monday stickied at the top of the Arcade Alley.

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8244

Alright, this is, indeed, a sequel to the all-time classic: Joust. I have to admit that I never heard of this game until I saw it on a compilation disc many years after it would have been in the arcades.

I've played it a couple times in the past. I remember it being quite hard, and not quite as fun as the original. Perhaps a case of trying to fix something that wasn't broken.

Maybe I just was really bad at it.

Oh yeah, if you need the ROMs... please search out our sources:

Flack will be hosting at http://www.robohara.com/mameclub/

and 2DSkillz will have the games ROMs at http://www.retrogoggles.com/

Previous MMMC games: Jump Coaster, Rampart, Jungler, Ninja Emaki, Port Man, Psycho Soldier, Metamoqester, Gunbarich, Sengoku (series), Snacks'n Jackson, Metro-Cross, Moon Shuttle, The Real Ghostbusters, Moonwalker, Black Widow, Kid Niki.
    Last edited by scooterb23; 08-03-2009 at 09:55 AM.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Woohoo, nice pick. I always make it a point to get at least a few plays of this game in at California Extreme every year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

I like this game (I think suggested it) but I think Williams added too much junk to an already solid game concept. What I really love about this game though is the variety of levels (it bumps the challenge up a notch). Let's just all pray that Joust 3 in 3D isn't made for that will be absolute junk in every which way
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Woohoo, nice pick. I always make it a point to get at least a few plays of this game in at California Extreme every year.
    I played this one at CAX too, I actually liked the original better due to it's simplicity, though I suppose if I'd spent more time on this one than Joust 1.. etc etc.

Good pick anyway, enjoyable title.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well first game was meh. Got to level 3 and scored 14,390. I'll keep updating as I get better. I have some time right now to kill.

I gave myself my own challenge, I'm trying to beat every wave. King is damn near impossible. But so far I've figured the best strategy is to stay at the very top and just drop as the Pegasus whenever you have a few below you.
    Last edited by IronBuddha; 07-28-2009 at 05:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I always felt that transforming into a pegasus in this game was rather pointless untill trying 2DSkillz tip by using it to turn into an anvil and crushing the enemies below. Usually it was just the 'make me fall in the lava' button.

I was also only able to get level 3 on 1 credit. I know I've gotten much farther before but I'm really out of practice. I'll have to try for a high score later this week.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I always felt that transforming into a pegasus in this game was rather pointless untill trying 2DSkillz tip by using it to turn into an anvil and crushing the enemies below. Usually it was just the 'make me fall in the lava' button.

I was also only able to get level 3 on 1 credit. I know I've gotten much farther before but I'm really out of practice. I'll have to try for a high score later this week.
    Level 3 is usually the end for me as well. I didn't play much after I posted yesterday, I'll try to get a few games in today.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Level 3 is pure evil. Level 4 is worse. This game is insane! It still feels like it's missing *something* that the original had.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ntanner

Hm. What to say. While I can see that the game is fun to some people, it just does nothing for me. (I didn't particularly like the first game either, so...)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23 View Post
    Level 3 is pure evil. Level 4 is worse. This game is insane! It still feels like it's missing *something* that the original had.
    I feel the same exact way. I beat level 3 and I felt good for about 10 seconds, that was when I got my ass handed to me on level 4. I still can't beat king either!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I agree with everyone- this shit is hard. I don't think I still know how to play it exactly. I need to read some kind of tutorial online, because I'm confused by the whole transformation thing- that and how exactly you're supposed to kill all the bad d00ds. Every time I kill someone it feels like an accident.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    Yeah I agree with everyone- this shit is hard. I don't think I still know how to play it exactly. I need to read some kind of tutorial online, because I'm confused by the whole transformation thing- that and how exactly you're supposed to kill all the bad d00ds. Every time I kill someone it feels like an accident.
    It's actually pretty simple. Your lance has to be higher than theirs. Doing it on the other hand is not so simple with everything going on at once. Later on there's a bigger thing that I think you have to transform to be able to kill. Other than that, you fall faster as the pegasus so it will allow you to quickly land on anyone under you. It also makes you fall into the lava easier though.

I managed to get to level 10 with 108,000 points but I'm not sure that counts here since it took a ton of credits to get there. Level 6 is insane. There's these electrical zap things that you have to watch out for. I think it was level 7 or 8 that I beat in no time. I don't know what I did but I hit some kind of red button on the lower level that just killed everyone or something.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I've come across the red button of happiness a couple times. I think you have to collect a golden / yellow egg in order for it to pop up, and it isn't around for a long time.

That's just a guess at this point though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Yeah, it was something like that. It was just plain dumb luck. I was walkign across the bottom and just walked right across the button and everythign went away.

The original Joust is one of my favorite games...this one, while still fun, is almost too much.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    I managed to get to level 10 with 108,000 points but I'm not sure that counts here since it took a ton of credits to get there. Level 6 is insane. There's these electrical zap things that you have to watch out for. I think it was level 7 or 8 that I beat in no time. I don't know what I did but I hit some kind of red button on the lower level that just killed everyone or something.
    Yea if you collect a golden egg a red button appears in random areas when you step on it it gives you different rewards. 9 out of 10 times it's just points but you can also get extra lives and destroy everything on screen with it.

Heh try beating the different waves It's funny because the only way I beat them was with luck, I would fly up to the very top and just try to fall on as many as I could at one shot as the Pegasus. The one time I fell on at least 5 of them, after that there was only a few to chase

I think the most annoying thing about this game is I have horrible luck with the eggs dropping into the lava and bringing the damn thing back to life.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Careful Warrior!

So I've been playing it for the last 45 minutes, and in that time I've gotten up to a 16,500. I believe I stopped on Wave 21 to register my high score. Jesus Christ, this game is fast paced. I wonder what the high score is? It must have been hard as hell to obtain, because it seems like there's not a strategy as much as luck. Unless there's a place in each screen where you can camp and not get hit.

Here's from the arcade record section at Twin Galaxies. Single player, marathon settings. It seems one guy (maybe 2) are actually skilled at the game. The rest are good but mostly lucky. That's a pretty wide range of scores.

1 100.00 % 13,012,450 Robert Griffin 06/02/2006
    2 20.41 % 2,655,600 Dwayne Richard 07/10/2005
    3 3.99 % 518,800 Brian Kuh 06/05/2005
    4 3.83 % 498,800 Mark Longridge 06/12/2001
    6 2.92 % 380,300 Pat Laffaye 07/15/2002
    7 2.85 % 371,500 Mr. Kelly R. Flewin 11/19/2005
    8 1.22 % 159,050 Adam R. Wood 07/11/2002
    9 0.91 % 117,950 Quentin E Bolduc 06/02/2001

Here are the MAME records.

1 100.00 % 4,373,150 Robert Griffin 11/09/2008
    2 11.17 % 488,500 Mark Longridge 06/12/2001
    3 10.61 % 464,200 Rajeev Gantela 02/08/2005
    4 9.26 % 404,900 Tommi J Tiihonen 02/08/2005
    5 8.56 % 374,250 Timothy L. Davidson 04/20/2008
    6 1.04 % 45,350 Ron Corcoran 02/08/2005

And I'll confess that I'm not exactly playing by the rules, because I'm playing it on Midway Arcade Treasures 1 for the Xbox. I like the controller for my Xbox better than the gamepad on my MAME computer- plus it's wireless. Anyway there's only 1 high score recorded for single player mode on The Box.

1 100.00 % 143,750 Patrick Scott Patterson 05/01/2008

Anyway though these would be interesting to some people.

Also thanks for the tip on how to play jb143. Although it really didn't do much to remedy my suckage on this game...
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 07-31-2009 at 07:14 AM.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Thanks for those scores. And don't worry about playing on the XBox. I think those compilations are fine for our purposes here.

I still have a list of about 15 games to pick from that you guys gave on our week off. But I'm wondering if there are any other games that folks would like to add for nominating purposes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Just in case it didn't added to the list...I mentioned Intrepid some time ago but I think it might have gotten lost in the thread. It's an old school spy game that's sort of a cross between Elevator Action and Venture.