Thread: Gameboy 20th Anniversary Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Hainjutsuyiu

Default Gameboy 20th Anniversary Thread

Well for the 20th Anniversary of the Game Boy I thought to do this lil thread as a tribute and to bring back all the great memories of playing Mario Land and Pokemon Red. So post a response bellow, Where did you first see a GameBoy? What is your most vivid memory of the GameBoy?, and what game pops up into your mind when you think of the GameBoy.

Thanks and long live Game Boy! (Even if it doesnt exist no more)

Happy 20th Birthday
    Ahh man this guy is back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WolfpacLeader
    PSN
    wolfpacleader86

I forgot about this.

Anyways, I first played the Game Boy at my aunt's house. I used to spend hours on WWF Superstars and Bill and Ted. Then, I got a Game Boy for my birthday in 1994. I got Super Mario Land to go along with it.

There are so many memories with that thing and its successors that I can't begin to name them all. From playing Donkey Kong, to getting games in three packs from a mail order catalog(The best one was Jeopardy, Castlevania II, and Quarth), to my Pokemon addiction.

I'm just hoping that Joe reopens the LORE thread, because I have a few Game Boy stories that are touching, wonderful, and heartbreaking at the same time. You know, I should start writing it just in case.

Needless to say, this thing has changed my life forever. Viva La Game Boy!

Strawberry (Level 2) Pezcore343's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

I never had an original B&W GameBoy, I started on the GameBoy color. I think the games I remember playing the most as a kid were Pokemon (both red and blue, the good thing about having siblings =)) and Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins. Definitely still 2 of my favorite games for the system, although now I have to add the Wario Land games as well, as now they are definitely my most frequently played games for GB.

Let's see, I think it was 13 years ago now that I first played a GameBoy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    compute1984

I remember when it came out, one of my cousins got one pretty much right away. In the summer of 1990 my mother had back surgery and we stayed at my grandma's house for a week. At the same time that cousin was staying there as well, and I remember playing a LOT of Super Mario Land and Tetris that week, although at the time I did not understand it. That is probably also my most vivid memory, aside from playing Link's Awakening at Toys R Us on the display unit which had the CRT hooked to it, that thing was pretty neat.
    See my latest arcade repair at the Holodeck 2 Arcade Repair Blog: http://holodeck2arcade.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

It was on radio that I first heard about it. It was being advertised as a Portable Nintendo and I rushed to Toys R US to look at it. I did not have alot of money and spent my money on a Genesis, but I eventually got one within a couple of years of that. Tetris was all I played, but then branched out to others, such as Batman, Castlevania, and my favorite, Metroid II.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First memory is of a friend of mine who got one around 1990. The game I think of us the one he had other than Tetris. It was the first Mario game for it.

I also remember the Toys R Us kiosks with it hooked up to a bigger screen, awesome

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My memories of the Game Boy involve me sitting in the sun or under a lamp so I can see the screen. I also remember how blurry the screen was. Playing linkable games, any linkable games, was exciting. Many hours spent playing the various Nemesis, Castlevania, Final Fantasy series games.

I bought a Game Boy at release. I think it was $110, but I am hazy. I ended up selling it via the local newspaper classifieds. I sold the system and one game for $90. I remember the buyer pressuring me to give him more games for the same price.

I recently acquired a bunch of the classic Game Boy games to try again. Games like Super Mario Land and Metriod II are actually pretty bad. The newer stuff such as Donkey Kong and Super Mario Bros Deluxe is excellent, though.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My first experience with a gameboy was when a kid had one on the school bus one day. He would play it all the time so one day I asked him if i could play and he said yes. I had so much fun playing jurassic park on the rides to and from school. Later the same kid got into pokemon, so I knew i had to find one. It wasnt until about 2 or so years later that I got my snes, and remembered the gameboy. (though I did collect pokemon cards) So a few years later I finally picked up two originals and a red gameboy pocket along with pokemone blue! Thats when my collecting began for more systems and games. Im almost twenty now and still have my first gameboy and pokemon blue, ill have to break it out again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I can't remember when I first heard about a Game Boy, but I'm pretty sure I saw it on Captain N before I saw one in person. Around '93 or so I got one for Christmas and basically used it as a Tetris system for the next few years, other than borrowing a few games from friends here and there. I still remember the smell from opening up the brand new packaging...probally toxic fumes from sealed plastic and electronics. Oh how I love(and miss) that smell
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    alxbly
    PSN
    alxbly

My first Gameboy was back in 1992. It was all about Tetris at the time... I didn't own any other Gameboy games until Super Mario Land 2, and i really enjoyed that as well. Sadly, my Game Boy was stolen not long after, and the guy who stole it was a "friend" who had slowly been stealing other stuff from my parents home.

I didn't get another Game Boy until the Game Boy Color came out, and I bought a purple one solely to play Pokemon. That would be about 1998. I eventually traded that in in 2001. I got a GBA shortly after but there weren't any games that really hooked me, so it eventually ended up being sold. A few years ago I got a Game Boy Micro, which I used to play Pokemon Fire Red. I like that fact that it fits in your pocket easily and has a nice bright screen. Recently I've been rebuying some of the Game Boy's I used to own:

And if I get a GBA SP then I'll have pretty much all the models I'm interested in.
    Xbox Live: alxbly | PSN: alxbly | Wii friend code: 2326 4589 7536 6941

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

Tetris baby! nice collection alxbly
    800,2600,5200,7800,C64,Intellivision,NES1+2,NEX,SM S 1+2,GENNY1-3,CDi,SEGA CD1+2,SNES1+2,TG16,VB,N64(Reg,blue,green),Saturn1+ 2,PS,PSone w/LCD,PS2,Xbox,NGPC,GG,GB,GBC,GBA,GBA SP,Game.com,WonderSwan,Lynx I+II,3D0fz1+10,PICO,Nomad,GP32,DC(reg+sport),GC (2of3),SuperFamicom,MVS, Neo Geo CD,Super Compact+Futbal edition,PSP,360,Wii,DS

Strawberry (Level 2) guitargary75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tetris. That was my first exposure to Tetris.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember the Toys R Us displays well, and I didn't like them. I always thought it was hard enough to see the GameBoy screen, and the display at my local store just looked bad.

I actually got a Super GameBoy before I got a handheld, mainly to play Tamagotchi... That soon expanded to Mega Man, Pokemon, Metroid, etc, and I got a yellow Pocket. I wanted a smoke gray one, but store inventory kinda ruined that. My friends had gray ones, blue ones, and I had the funky yellow one.

GameBoy made gamers out of all the nongamers in my class. All those 5th grade field trips were Pokemon-trading days, I forget the places we actually went.

However, I never really USED a GameBoy until high school. Yeah, I had played a lot of GameBoy games, but Super GameBoy was a better experience for me. Sophomore year was Year of the GBA-SP, and we all had square lumps in our pockets. It was rather humerous how many people crowded around after school to trade Pokemon wirelessly. It was even more amazing that nobody cared that we played between classes, or even during class periods when the lessons were over. Geez, FF1-2, Pokemon, Metroid, those were some fun times. I miss playing with the guys at lunch every day, I really do.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I had two brick Gameboys, never got any other GB until the GBA then picked up all the GBC games that I wanted that they were still selling(Dragon Warrior 3 ftw.) Never picked the GBA SP as I hate how uncomfortable it felt and loved my original GBA. I don't consider the DS to be a GB successor as the cartridges are completely different, but it's a good system nonetheless. Nintendo even said the DS is not the successor to the GBA, and then atleast a year later said that they're no longer going to release another GBA because of how good the DS was doing(so the GB line has died with the GBA.)

The thing about both brick GB systems I owned that didn't hurt the system itself as they both worked, was the plastic covering on both of those just came off by themselves. I never glued them back on, though. With the plastic covering off the screen does look so much more clearer, so I didn't mind that they fell off. These coverings fall off on anyone elses GB systems or is it just coincidence that it fell off both my systems?

Also a couple days ago IGN was doing a 20th anniversary for the GB.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

I got my GameBoy for my fifth birthday back in 1995 so I got into it well after the systems launch but I still had a lot of fun with Tetris and Super Mario Land.
    DERP

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Never picked the GBA SP as I hate how uncomfortable it felt and loved my original GBA...

...These coverings fall off on anyone elses GB systems or is it just coincidence that it fell off both my systems?
    I had an original GBA and it was a total pain to use. I didn't hesitate much when I saw the guys at school with their SPs, and I'm sure that I played my SP on a 10:1 ratio to my original GBA. Sure, the original felt better, but it's useless without a proper light. It didn't have a headphone jack, that was my only regret. The headphone extension I got worked for a while, then gave out around the time I got my DS.

I actually only knew one person with a brick GB, and it had lost its screen cover long before I ever saw it.

While it's probably considered blasphemy, let me state that I have NEVER played GB Tetris or Super Mario Land.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I never owned a handheld Game Boy or Game Boy Color. The screens sucked too much on both lines of handhelds and the first two revisions of the Game Boy Advance.

I first played Game Boy games with the Super Game Boy adapter on my SuperNes, then the Game Boy Player for GB/GBC/GBA games on my GameCube.

It wasn't until the DS came out that I thought a Nintendo handheld had a worthwhile screen. I purchased one 7 or 8 months after it launched.

I didn't own a portable Game Boy until the fall of 2005 a few months after the improved SP2 model was released with the same backlight screen technology the Micro and DS Lite used, that I bought a portable Game Boy.

Never played Tetris, however I've experienced most of the Game Boy's gems like the Super Mario Land titles (Just the first two, didn't like seeing the series leave Mario behind so I never bought Wario Land (SML3) or the subsequent Wario Land titles), Metroid II, Link's Awakening, Solar Striker, and many others. Just not a big fan of Tetris or puzzle games in general.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 07-31-2009 at 12:35 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2) sebastiankirchoff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    NoSleepTillMnhtn
    Steam
    laserdiscfan

I started out really late playing Game Boys, starting out with the GBC in late 2006 along with Bomberman Pocket. I heard commercials about it in the late 90's, but never tried it out. It was a fun system, but I was craving more (wanted a bright screen mostly). Then, in March 2007 I got a GBM for 50 bucks brand new, and I loved how convient it was and all the great games that were available for the GBA. Then I got an original Brick for free with Pokemon Red in April that same year, and I played Pokemon a lot, though have yet to beat it.

Since then, I haven't purchased a GBA at all, though I am planning on getting one soon along with a DS.
    500th Post! December ?, 2010

Movies in Theatres I Have Last Seen
    Fair Game: 4/5
    Fighter, The: 4.5/5
    Tamara Drewe: 4/5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For some reason I've never had my own original Gameboy. I borrowed a friends back in the day to play Spiderman, TMNT, Tetris and Super Mario Land. It was fun times. Today I own my very own Gameboy Advance but I still haven't opened it yet.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.