Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gameboy 20th Anniversary Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Being an Atari man, I had a Lynx, of course. My local computer shop had Lynx and Game Boy running side by side. I looked at Game Boy and thought 'Japan the forerunner of technology? This looks like microvision...Tetris? Finished it on C-64 years ago. Lynx wins big time'.

After a few years though the GBpocket was released, and things started to improve, so I purchased a Game Boy pocket, and the Game Boy camera and printer. Now, that was actually fun. And the GBp featured a visible screen, and gameplay proved to be great fun too. So I was sold.

Oh and Super Game Boy and Donkey Kong, the perfect combination.

So Happy B'day Game Boy and well done for being the 'Best selling Nintendo product in Europe'.

Last edited by tom; 07-31-2009 at 08:08 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I had an original Gameboy a few months after it came out. For the life of me, I can't remember the circumstances of how I got it. It might have even been my brother's Christmas present, I'm not sure. Strange considering I was a Senior in high school. You would think I would remember.

What I do remember though is taking it with me to the Army. Tetris, Final Fantasy Adventure, R.C. Pro-Am...so many good games. Also, those 4 AA batteries seemed to last forever.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I remember getting an original Gameboy from my birthday when I was 4. The only games I had were Tetris and Dr. Mario. Being 4, I didn't understand the games as well as one might expect. I can distinctly remember being excited when I found out, by accident, what making a complete line of block in Tetris did. I was always amazed at the near indestructibility the brick had, as I ran that bastard through the mill.

Probably one of my favorite memories was marveling at the Gameboy Pocket's sexy clear screen. Every game I had played the last few years, every game that I had come to love, that seductive screen brought a new dimension to each of them.

Then I got me a Super Gameboy. I got it around the time that Nintendo was releasing new Gameboy games at $25 a piece, when such gems as Game & Watch Gallery and Wario Land 2 were the best of the best. I tell you, playing Link's Awakening with an inverted color pallet is a trip.

A Christmas or two later, the Gameboy Color was released. I remember it being slightly less durable than the brick, but that drop in durability came with an increase in awesome, so, it was all good. So many good games during this time, Game & Watch Gallery 2/3, Pokemon Gold/Silver, Mickey Mouse: Magic Wands!, etc. I remember intending to get all the release games (the only two of which I recall off the top of my head being Super Mario Brothers Deluxe and Bomberman Adventures), but dropping the idea when 2nd Gen Pokemon was released.

Speaking of Pokemon, I got mine a week early. The manager of our local Software Etc. (which is now a Gamestop.....) knew the manager of the shipping warehouse. He was able to get all the Gold/Silver shipments along with all the brand new PS2s much sooner than he was supposed to. That was a crazy night. The manager called the two salesmen saying that he was just pulling into the mall parking lot withe the games + systems.

Salesman 1: Say....are those boxes marked?
    Salesman 2: What do you mean?
    Salesman 1: I mean, do the PS2 shipping boxes say PS2 on them? Cause it's near 9pm during the Christmas shopping season, so.....
    *both salesmen drop what they were doing and rush out to meet the manager....leaving the shop unattended*

Got a little off topic there. I got a GBA not long after it's initial release, with Super Mario Brothers Advance being my first game, Advance Wars being my second. I have to admit, I wasn't very impressing by the GBA. It just didn't seem to shine like it's predecessors. While I did get a GBASP (due to a well meaning Grandmother), I switched to downloading ROMs, as the games just didn't seem worth the money to me. Not to say that there weren't a few decent games worth buying, Pokemon R/S/E and Drill Dozer among them. It just felt like I was paying a lot for very little outside of pretty graphics.

Thank you, Gameboy. I loved you as a child and I still love you now.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has it really been 20 years? Damn I am getting old. I recall getting one for Christmas, I believe it was the same year they came out and I felt pretty lucky to have gotten one. It would be the only handheld I owned until the Neo Geo Pocket Color came out a ~decade later when I was able to afford my own.

My first games were Super Mario Land, Castlevania, Home Alone, and, of course, the ubiquitous Tetris. After that initial surge almost all the games I got were bargain bin 'classics'. Don't we all recall a fateful birthday when we received Dr. Franken? Ah, memories..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Happy Birthday to the GameBoy. It and it's olive screen introduced the world to the wonder of affordable and portable gaming on the go.
    DERP

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Default Game Boy Retrospective

A while back, I got the hardback edition of Gamespite's Game Boy retrospective book for the GB's 20th anniversary:

http://www.gamespite.net/toastywiki/...ableOfContents

They review loads of classic Game Boy games in it, going through each one and explaining why it was a classic and how it contributed to making the system itself classic. It also covers some of the competing handhelds (e.g., Atari Lynx) and points out why they never really reached the heights that Nintendo's ultimate handheld did.

It's totally worth the read - and even the re-read; I picked it up again recently and have been thoroughly enjoying the title.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?