Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Annual Video Game Trader HomeBrew Awards Ceremony in the works

Cherry (Level 1) videogametrader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default First Annual Video Game Trader HomeBrew Awards Ceremony in the works

Hello everyone,

I am working on putting together the first ever (at least to my knowledge) HomeBrew awards ceremony. We are planning on giving awards for multiple categories.

I was wondering if I could ask for some of your help.

I need to put together the categories that will be used. I am thinking of the following categories:

* HomeBrew Game of the Year
    * Best Pre-8bit "Classic" Homebrew Game
    * Best 8-bit Homebrew Game
    * Best 16-Bit Homebrew Game
    * Best sound effects in a Homebrew game
    * Best graphics in a Homebrew game
    * Greatest Technological Achievement in a Homebrew Game
    * Best Remake

What other categories should be included? Any homebrew released on cartridge/CD form in 2009 will qualify to be nominated. Various newsgroups/forums will be polled the last quarter 2009 and first quarter 2010 with awards being provided in Spring of 2010. The Summer issue of Video Game Trader will provide a feature story about the awards and I am trying to get some TV coverage as well.

Any help and/or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom Sansone
    www.VideoGameTrader.com

PS. Homebrew Authors, feel free to start contacting me about nominating your game now.
    ========================
    Video Game Trader Magazine & Price Guide. Keeping classic video games... alive!

Subscribe for 4 quarterly issues only $29.99. Subscribe @ www.VGTraderMag.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, thats tricky, there's so much that has been produced over the last ~ten years, it seems a shame to not give them a chance to vie for a title. Its tougher to do, but to keep it just within this year seems short sighted....just my 4 cents...and initial thought

Beyond that, I like the idea of recognizing the talent and drive of homebrew game developers
    feitctaj !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheSmirk View Post
    Wow, thats tricky, there's so much that has been produced over the last ~ten years, it seems a shame to not give them a chance to vie for a title. Its tougher to do, but to keep it just within this year seems short sighted....just my 4 cents...and initial thought

Beyond that, I like the idea of recognizing the talent and drive of homebrew game developers
    You have a point. I was thinking in the 2nd year we can provide an award for Best Game of the last decade.
    ========================

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Eight catagories seems overkill to me. Plus, how do you judge a game for the Atari 2600 vs. one for the Colecovision for sound effects and graphics? Toss the Vectrex in there for more tough decisions. None of these three systems looks/sounds similar, but they would all fall into the same catagories for judging. Kind of hardly fair.

And if a game for the 2600 written in Assembly is up against one written in batari Basic, you're gonna open up an even bigger can of worms.

I think it's a good idea, but you need to tighten up exactly what will be judged, what they will be judged against, and how to recognise achievement without hamstringing yourself.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman View Post
    Eight catagories seems overkill to me. Plus, how do you judge a game for the Atari 2600 vs. one for the Colecovision for sound effects and graphics? Toss the Vectrex in there for more tough decisions. None of these three systems looks/sounds similar, but they would all fall into the same catagories for judging. Kind of hardly fair.

And if a game for the 2600 written in Assembly is up against one written in batari Basic, you're gonna open up an even bigger can of worms.

I think it's a good idea, but you need to tighten up exactly what will be judged, what they will be judged against, and how to recognise achievement without hamstringing yourself.
    You bring up some valid points. The judging is going to be done by the public. But my intention is to compare the homebrews based on the capabilities of the system. For instance if an atari game is created and both the sounds and graphics are far ahead of what is normal for that system and it is up against a colecovision title that has better sound and graphics, but the sound and graphics is normal for that system, then I would think the atari game would come up on top. I would also like to have subcategories by system if there are enough releases in that year.

Keep the comments coming in.

Tom
    ========================

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

An awards ceremony for homebrews is a great idea. Classic gaming lags behind many other nostalgic endeavors, such as movies and comic books, in many respects, and this is just one step closer to making it a more legitmate hobby.

Well done!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitgamer View Post
    An awards ceremony for homebrews is a great idea. Classic gaming lags behind many other nostalgic endeavors, such as movies and comic books, in many respects, and this is just one step closer to making it a more legitmate hobby.

Well done!
    I initially thought it was a great idea as well. But thus far, the reception to the idea, has been a little cold.

Lets here it folk!! Like the idea? Have any suggestions?
    ========================

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's a great idea, but as Sniderman pointed out there are significant details regarding the execution of the project that need to be worked out.

I had a question about the categories you listed. You mention 'pre-8-bit' classic game. I don't know what this would encompass. My understanding, quite possibly mistaken, is that the VCS/2600 was an 8-bit system, and that the Intellivision is 10-bit. I can't imagine any homebrews ever being created for an RCA Studio II or Emerson Arcadia, and I don't think anything earlier used removabe media, so if all of my beliefs are correct than there wouldn't be anything 'pre-8-bit'. What does that category mean?

Once again, I want to reiterate that I like your idea a lot, so don't think you're being bashed here. It's just the details that I think might need work.

Also, to back up what another post mentioned, there have been so many homebrews over the last 10 years or so, some that were truly spectacular, that I'd like to see some recognition for those producers as well.

Finally, I think you'll need to somehow define 'homebrew'. Would Battlesphere be a homebrew game? What about the Dreamcast games published by The Goat Store? The line between homebrew and not-homebrew can get blurry.
    Last edited by NoahsMyBro; 08-04-2009 at 09:23 PM.
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NoahsMyBro View Post
    I think it's a great idea, but as Sniderman pointed out there are significant details regarding the execution of the project that need to be worked out.
    I agree, that is the reason for the posts. I want to make sure I am as fair as possible to everyone.

I had a question about the categories you listed. You mention 'pre-8-bit' classic game. I don't know what this would encompass. My understanding, quite possibly mistaken, is that the VCS/2600 was an 8-bit system, and that the Intellivision is 10-bit. I can't imagine any homebrews ever being created for an RCA Studio II or Emerson Arcadia, and I don't think anything earlier used removabe media, so if all of my beliefs are correct than there wouldn't be anything 'pre-8-bit'. What does that category mean?
    What I should have put was Pre-NES era

Once again, I want to reiterate that I like your idea a lot, so don't think you're being bashed here. It's just the details that I think might need work.

Also, to back up what another post mentioned, there have been so many homebrews over the last 10 years or so, some that were truly spectacular, that I'd like to see some recognition for those producers as well.
    I was thinking of some kind of Achievement award or honorable mention. I also plan on having a Best of the last decade at the 2nd even in 2011. But I don't really think i can include all of those games, as great as they are, in an "annual" award. But if you have a category that would work for that, then I am listening. Maybe an 'honorable" mention category?

Finally, I think you'll need to somehow define 'homebrew'. Would Battlesphere be a homebrew game? What about the Dreamcast games published by The Goat Store? The line between homebrew and not-homebrew can get blurry.
    My definition of HomeBrew is ANY game released after the official support of the system has ended. So games release by the likes of Song-Bird and Super Fighter Team would be included.

Thanks for the comments and feedback.
    ========================

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I think this a great idea once you flush out the details and could bring more attention to some good games...but my game isn't done yet and probably won't be for some time
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What do we name the award?

Hello Everyone,

As we move forward with the awards program (due in the spring), we need to come up with a name. I would really like to pay homage to two pioneers of the Video Game World: William Higinbotham (who created one of the first video games, Tennis for Two) and Ralph Baer (who created the very first Video Game System that hooked up to a TV, the Odyssey).

Please let me know how these sound: The Baer Higinbotham Award, The Higinbotham Baer Award, The Ralph Baer Award, The William Higinbotham Award or the Odyssey Award.

What do you think? Please provide your feedback. Whatever name is chosen, will most likely be the name of the award forever.

Thanks,

Tom Sansone
    ========================

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Personally I like the Odyssey Award sounds the best. The homebrew scene is one that is still pretty underground and one that only gets talked about alot when a "big" homebrew is relseased or some technical achievement is done. The truth of the matter is that there might be thousands of people that are collecting a retro console or computer, but only a handful of those will be into the homebrew scene.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist View Post
    Personally I like the Odyssey Award sounds the best. The homebrew scene is one that is still pretty underground and one that only gets talked about alot when a "big" homebrew is relseased or some technical achievement is done. The truth of the matter is that there might be thousands of people that are collecting a retro console or computer, but only a handful of those will be into the homebrew scene.

Hopefully this award will get the word out and create more of a demand for Homebrew games.
    ========================

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So far my favorite name is the Video Game Odyssey Awards. To me, it has a nice ring to it and pays homage to the very first system that hooked up to a TV.

I also would like to immediately create a committee of 9 people (myself included) to help with the process. The nine of us would create the rules and criteria for nomination. My initial thoughts are to have a nomination process that people would vote on and then have the top 3 to 5 voted on by the committee, or have those 3-5 voted on by online users. But the committee would oversee the process, making sure games are in the correct categories etc.

I have a couple hand-selected people I will approach for this committee but I would like to know whom else is interested. If you are please email me your info, including why you should be a part of this, to vgtnj[nospam]@ aol.com. Please remove the [nospam] tag.

You may be asking, why 9? Kudos to anyone that can guess that
    ========================

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

[QUOTEYou may be asking, why 9? Kudos to anyone that can guess that [/QUOTE]

The odd number means there's a tie breaker.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the name Odyssey Award as well. It refers to the Odyssey system, and also suggests an odyssey, venturing forth, pioneering, etc... Plus, the word has a sort-of sci-fi, futuristic feel to it.
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Dude, how can you NOT call homebrew awards The Homies?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitgamer View Post
    [QUOTEYou may be asking, why 9? Kudos to anyone that can guess that
    The odd number means there's a tie breaker.[/QUOTE]

Nope Wrong answer
    ========================

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I assumed it was like the supreme court judges.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    I assumed it was like the supreme court judges.
    You win!
    ========================