Thread: Amiga CD32 game list of working NTSC games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

Question Amiga CD32 game list of working NTSC games

Can anyone point me to a list of games that work in the actual system that work in the states for the Amiga CD32 without shifting the screen? I know there are a couple but cant seem to find a list of working ones. I tried to buy a converter for PAL to NTSC and that only made the image black and white.. thanks!
    800,2600,5200,7800,C64,Intellivision,NES1+2,NEX,SM S 1+2,GENNY1-3,CDi,SEGA CD1+2,SNES1+2,TG16,VB,N64(Reg,blue,green),Saturn1+ 2,PS,PSone w/LCD,PS2,Xbox,NGPC,GG,GB,GBC,GBA,GBA SP,Game.com,WonderSwan,Lynx I+II,3D0fz1+10,PICO,Nomad,GP32,DC(reg+sport),GC (2of3),SuperFamicom,MVS, Neo Geo CD,Super Compact+Futbal edition,PSP,360,Wii,DS

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 77punk View Post
    Can anyone point me to a list of games that work in the actual system that work in the states for the Amiga CD32 without shifting the screen? I know there are a couple but cant seem to find a list of working ones. I tried to buy a converter for PAL to NTSC and that only made the image black and white.. thanks!
    Why don't you just spend a few dollars on an Amiga monitor like the 1084S? That will take away 90% of the problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

thanks Bojay for the solution but what are the other 10% of the problems (if you know)? I wish there was a workable solution that doesnt polute my space more as I am kinda systems, games, and neccessary items in the home. I hate clutter
    800,2600,5200,7800,C64,Intellivision,NES1+2,NEX,SM S 1+2,GENNY1-3,CDi,SEGA CD1+2,SNES1+2,TG16,VB,N64(Reg,blue,green),Saturn1+ 2,PS,PSone w/LCD,PS2,Xbox,NGPC,GG,GB,GBC,GBA,GBA SP,Game.com,WonderSwan,Lynx I+II,3D0fz1+10,PICO,Nomad,GP32,DC(reg+sport),GC (2of3),SuperFamicom,MVS, Neo Geo CD,Super Compact+Futbal edition,PSP,360,Wii,DS

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 77punk View Post
    thanks Bojay for the solution but what are the other 10% of the problems (if you know)? I wish there was a workable solution that doesnt polute my space more as I am kinda systems, games, and neccessary items in the home. I hate clutter
    There are a few games that don't work even with a monitor as they simply require an actual PAL CD32 system to function. Unless you buy a monitor and handle it that way, you are going to be left with literally a handful of games that work. I know Sports Football and Defender of the Crown 2 work on an NTSC system, but both of those were released in the short window in which the system was available from US and Canadian dealers.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

icbrkr and I have done a lot of testing, and so far I have only found 3 games that will not run on a stock NTSC system: F17 Challenge, Fears, and Kang Fu. The last two fail because (for whatever reason) when you use the BIOS menu to switch video modes, you lose a small bit of memory, and the game dies with an out of memory error. I can confirm that Fears works when you have extra memory installed, and I assume that Kang Fu would as well. F17 Challenge seems to crash due to timing issues that I wasn't able to resolve. There might be others that we haven't found yet.

The point of our testing is to eventually document all the compatibility issues and make it available online, but it'll be a while before it's ready. It's difficult to diagnose everything, because many games do different things... but the basic moral of the story is that you really need a display that is capable of displaying a 50Hz signal. While a CBM 1084S is an excellent choice, it's not the only one. Some TV's can do the job, but they don't advertise it, so you just have to try it and see what happens. If your display can't handle a 50Hz signal, there will be a significant number of games that you won't be able to play... they'll either lock up at some point, or you'll lose vertical hold when the game forces a PAL video mode regardless of what video standard you asked the CD32 to use.

If you just stick to games that play nice in NTSC, you will not have a fun time with the CD32.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

Thanks fellas for all the info. I just want to rock this system so I will find a 1084s monitor somehow and try again. Im getting a refund on the converter that didnt work (made it worst). Viva Amiga!

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Are you talking about one of these converters? I have one, and it is GARBAGE. All it does it convert the colour signal to be NTSC compatible. I knew that when I bought it, and since I didn't need to convert from 50 to 60Hz, I was hoping it would be a nice and cheap alternative... but the picture quality was absolutely terrible.

If anyone else is thinking of using something like this, just don't even bother. You will NOT be happy with the results.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

yeap. terrible product. I actually opened it up and took pictures so maybe one day I can build something better than it as it doesnt seem like its too complex.