Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodwill Clearance Center?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Goodwill Clearance Center?

Anyone ever heard of this offshoot of Goodwill, called the Goodwill Clearance Center? It's actually a decent place to find some old gaming stuff. There's one now right behind the "Super" Goodwill where I am, near Asheville NC (it's like a Goodwill Wal-Mart, it's huge)

Essentially, it's where the last 30 years go to die. It's a warehouse basically, where all the crap from all the local Goodwills gets dumped that nobody wants or was too overpriced to sell. Every hour or so employees roll out these huge mountains of stuff on carts the size of ping-pong tables, about 6 at a time. There's usually a mad dash of people to go and grab whatever you can - it's all $1/pound, whatever it is. It's pretty strange.

Large items are put in another pile, usually TVs, monitors, stereos, etc, for $3-10 each.

Today was my first visit, and I grabbed a pile of stuff before it got snapped up and/or crushed - who knows what happens to this stuff if nobody gets it at the end of the day.

*Sega Saturn
    *Nintendo 64
    *NES Joystick
    *Apple ADB mice (trapezoid-style, and later rounded)
    *USB Keyboard (new Saitek Eclipse)
    *Serial mice for IBM/Tandy PCs
    *Creative Labs Sound Blaster AWE32

All for $16.

I mean, there's so much randomness though... like hair driers from the 60's, old encyclopedias, PS1 and Xbox games, random old software, hi-8 cameras, TVs/monitors/radios, tons of toys and stuffed animals, TONS of clothing (which is thankfully separated into another area of the warehouse), baseball card collections. Anyways, didn't know if anyone else had any experiences with these places.
    Last edited by phreakindee; 01-24-2010 at 10:05 PM.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

That place sounds pretty awesome.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i would camp out in the bushes everynight just to be the first guy there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

wtf, a $1 a pound, lol i gotta find this place. Anyways this should be moved to the whats it worth thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

We used to have a place along those lines here but it was a 95 cent Goodwill. Everything in the store was 95 cents and I think it was all stuff that didn't sell at the regular Goodwills. I'd found several gaming items there. Never systems but the occasional game or 2. My best finds though were Levi's...some still with store tags. 1 pair even had a $5 in the pocket that I found many days later. I ened up selling quite a few on eBay and probally made up the difference for all the ones I kept, plus gas to the store. They closed down last year though
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Yeah, several of the people who bring stuff to my flea markets go to those clearance centers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

The local Goodwill Clearance Center (GCC) is completely dominated by three classes of people: Mexicans who drive van convoys up from Chihuahua to cheaply buy American detritus in bulk to sell it to their countrymen in the Juarez mercados; Jerry Springer-type welfare layabouts who are going to resell whatever they buy at the weekend flea market at obscene markups, and lastly are the old ladies dressed like all their clothes come straight out of the gift shop at Cracker Barrel who are hoping for some sort of serendipitous find that will fund what remains of their golden years and maybe get them a spot at the next local taping of Antiques Roadshow. Of the three, it’s the Mexicans I find the least offensive.

The GCC opens at 10:00am and people are lined up at least an hour before that. When the doors open there’s no stopping the stampede. The Mexicans attack the clearance bins with the coordinated precision of a Delta Force unit; sending wives and cousins scurrying ahead of the slower lemmings to stand guard in front of choice looking bins which were scoped in advance through the windows while everyone was waiting for the doors to open. The flea market racketeers run for anything that looks automotive or stereophonic. Finally the Senile Brigade makes its way in, picking up and slowly scrutinizing through their bifocals anything made of colored glass or bound between two covers.

The feeding frenzy starts to slow after the first 30 to 45 minutes, by which time the Mexicans are paid out and loading up their vans with bicycles, coffee makers, microwaves, etc for transport back south. The flea market guys all stand in queue with dollar signs in their feverish eyes, clutching their rusty gold and exchanging vapid sentiments about how much money they’re going to make because “Dat’s what it’s goin’ fer on Eeebay!” Then come the old folks bringing up the rear with some knick-knack or three, convinced they’ve found something immeasurably valuable, yet still prepared to argue with the cashier over so much as a 25 cents in difference on price.

If you weren’t part of the initial stampede, you won’t find much left after that first hour, but don’t worry: The GCC closes at 1:00pm, restocks, opens at 3:00pm and the madness starts again until closing time at 5:00pm.

Sadly, it didn’t used to be this way. In fact, from 1995-1997 I used to live next right next door to the GCC when they (locally) called it the “U-Fix-It Corral” and the crowds were nowhere near as large or crazy. The place was tremendously instrumental in my early videogame collecting days, and some of the finds I had there would make you weep. Of course, that was all (if I can paraphrase Obi-Wan) “before the dark times….before the Ebay.”

So in summation, nowadays I wouldn’t go into my local Goodwill Clearance Center unless I had police-issued riot armor and a current vaccination against tetanus.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Sounds absolutely crazy.

I bet that's where the Goodwills that charge $25 for a loose Genesis send it after they realize it's not going to sell after four and a half months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

That sounds pretty cool. I just googled it and there aren't any in Tucson, AZ.

However, there is a Goodwill oulet center, which is absolute shit. Its just all the rusted out crap all the other Goodwills couldn't sell at the same price they were selling them at minus a dollar or two. Plus, its in the shittiest part of town.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by phreakindee View Post
    Anyone ever heard of this offshoot of Goodwill, called the Goodwill Clearance Center? It's actually a decent place to find some old gaming stuff. There's one now right behind the "Super" Goodwill where I am, near Asheville NC (it's like a Goodwill Wal-Mart, it's huge)

Essentially, it's where the last 30 years go to die. It's a large warehouse basically, where all the crap from all the local Goodwills gets dumped that nobody wants or was too overpriced to sell. Every hour or so employees roll out these huge mountains of stuff on carts the size of ping-pong tables, about 6 at a time. There's usually a mad dash of people to go and grab whatever you can - it's all $1/pound, whatever it is. It's pretty strange.

Large items are put in another pile, usually TVs, monitors, stereos, etc, for $3-10 each.

Today was my first visit, and I grabbed a pile of stuff before it got snapped up and/or crushed - who knows happens to this stuff if nobody gets it at the end of the day.

*Sega Saturn
    *Nintendo 64
    *NES Joystick
    *Apple ADB mice (trapezoid-style, and later rounded)
    *USB Keyboard (new Saitek Eclipse)
    *Serial mice for IBM/Tandy PCs
    *Creative Labs Sound Blaster AWE32

All for $16.

I mean, there's so much crap though... like hair driers from the 60's, old encyclopedias, PS1 and Xbox games, random old software, hi-8 cameras, TVs/monitors/radios, tons of toys and stuffed animals, TONS of clothing (which is thankfully separated into another area of the warehouse), baseball card collections. Anyways, didn't know if anyone else had any experiences with these places.
    LMAO at you sounding like a total SEGA / Anti PlayStation fanboy!

"Bought a Saturn"

"But there was lots of CRAP like PS1 games"

And how are baseball card collections crap!? They are like the coolest thing ever!

Or maybe you were just saying tons of CRAP meaning tons of STUFF and I took it the wrong way. :P If so, disregard this post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    I bet that's where the Goodwills that charge $25 for a loose Genesis send it after they realize it's not going to sell after four and a half months.
    $25? You got it good. The Goodwill's around here sell those for $40 a pop. Anyway, I wish I had one of these places near me. It would be nice to find a diamond amist all the crap.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not just GW that has these places, Salvies has them too. They are nowhere near as great as people are making them out to be in this thread. They're filthy, as in the air tastes foul, and I've literally never found a working piece of a electronics here. You'd have better luck digging through the dumpster behind a Best Buy.

The *only* thing these places are good for are vinyl records, because they're typically some absurd price like 12/$1.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We have one in Charlotte, but it shares a building with a Goodwill computer works. That means all the gaming and computer stuff never goes to the Clearance Center.

It's not bad though, as the Computer Works has decent prices. Although last time I was shopping, I overheard two employees discussing the rarity of Dracula X, and how another worker gets all the good stuff. I guess the thing that pisses me off, is the fact that all this shit is donated and their employees apparently get to pick through all the good swag.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Those fucking Mexicans.

No, really, I'm pissed off. They can cross the border without paying taxes and WE get slapped with $50 fines when we try to cross with a couple of bags of clothes? FUCKING CUSTOMS AGENTS.

RARGH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    It's not bad though, as the Computer Works has decent prices. Although last time I was shopping, I overheard two employees discussing the rarity of Dracula X, and how another worker gets all the good stuff. I guess the thing that pisses me off, is the fact that all this shit is donated and their employees apparently get to pick through all the good swag.
    If you think thats bad, the local Seattle Goodwill sells on Ebay and Amazon at inflate prices. Most of the good gaming stuff never even shows up in the store, so no employees OR patrons get to pick the good swag.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Don't think we have any of those here in Canada. None that I've ever seen anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevincal View Post
    LMAO at you sounding like a total SEGA / Anti PlayStation fanboy!

"Bought a Saturn"

"But there was lots of CRAP like PS1 games"

And how are baseball card collections crap!? They are like the coolest thing ever!

Or maybe you were just saying tons of CRAP meaning tons of STUFF and I took it the wrong way. :P If so, disregard this post.

Haha, not meant as fanboyism, I have far more PS1 games than Saturn stuff... but these were the typical sports titles, MTV Music Generator and such, so I used "crap" without thinking

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    I guess the thing that pisses me off, is the fact that all this shit is donated and their employees apparently get to pick through all the good swag.
    Ya know, it annoys me too, but if you step back and think about it... what other perk do you get working at the freakin' goodwill? That would be my only reason for working at one. I mean, they're probably making minimum wage. let them have their cherry picking. they're earning it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phreakindee View Post
    Haha, not meant as fanboyism, I have far more PS1 games than Saturn stuff... but these were the typical sports titles, MTV Music Generator and such, so I used "crap" without thinking
    Why are you posting here? You should be making more videos, goddamnit. Seriously, though. I really like the material you've been putting out on youtube. I love the bored personality schtick and the dry humor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tubeway View Post
    Ya know, it annoys me too, but if you step back and think about it... what other perk do you get working at the freakin' goodwill? That would be my only reason for working at one. I mean, they're probably making minimum wage. let them have their cherry picking. they're earning it.
    Actually, the one nearest to me starts off at $9/hour... and 2 weeks paid vacation. I would consider it if... well, I don't know I still have my hesitations.