Thread: Midwest Classic - Mini Review

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Midwest Classic - Mini Review

I Had a good time at the MWC and got some good stuff, but had to work at it. Would have liked to seen a few more traders there, but I managed to make some regular trades and trades with vendors...Here's my haul for the day:

The NES MAXI-15 in case, 2600 BOING! and Radiant Silvergun mint for $75 were the highlights of the show for me. I didn't place in the tournaments, but playing the timed Starfox cart was cool and Soul Caliber 2 for the GC is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Picked up a signed Feet of Fury for the Dreamcast...a really polished rhythm game with a lot of depth and an excellent soundtrack! I met the developers who are great guys...I hope they get enough support to keep releasing new games for the DC. FOF is a steal at $19.90...if you like these types of games at all, it's a must have.

The gaming/computer museum was excellent again, and there were many interesting items from people's collections and homebrews in progress on display.

Had to leave at 5 pm. so I didn't see who won the raffled arcade game. Overall, a big improvement from last year's show...just need to get more traders there next year! I have some pics from the show, and will try to get them up here soon.

Rich
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I too enjoyed MWC. My first "Game fest". The pinball section was represented by both more modern (ie 90's pinballs) and about three oldies (I remember Domino, but can't think of the other two).

I would have loved to trade, but after seeing some of the stuff going for trade (imports, more rare stuff than I had ever seen) I put my pitiful sack of trades back in the van. I bow to GoodWillHunter's TRADE collection-it was HUGE! Reading what he had was one thing, actually seeing it was quite another.

The musuem was just something to behold. Practically every system known in consoles, handhelds and computers was represented (except the poor Color Computer- had one half hanging out of a HP printer box, a Dragon sitting in its styrofoam, but a CoCo 2 was displayed well-Trash 80's get no respect :P ). I finally got to play a Vectrex. Incredible little machine. Also got to see an Amiga 32 in action. The game, Dangerous Streets I think it was, shows that it IS the definitive fighting game. Okay, I'm kidding. It stank. Like Rise of the Robots stank only graphically worse. Got to see some Japanese anime fighting game as well: it was all cartoon and the player selected a move which was shown as a film clips. An interesting concept. Then I got to play some Steel Battalion. Not sure if I'd part with $200 for it, but as for play wise- believe the hype as there's nothing else that comes close to the experience of this simulation for the home front. If there was something you wanted to try out, the people running the museum were more than happy to hook things up for you.

Other areas had games you could try out. There was a Commodore 64 area with disks upon disks of games you could play, an Odyssey 2, two Jaguars (one with Gorf and the other with Protector), two linked Lynxes (these were PORTABLE?! They were huge!), a Dreamcast kiosk with...Half Life! The game ran so smooth it was SMOOOV. The same area (from Oldergames, I believe?) had an Amiga playing some sort of dance video complete with fluid animation, a 72-in-one NES pirate machine (looks like an N64 controller with light gun). An Atari 2600 sales demo station was also available for play. It alone was like 4 feet long with joysticks and paddles on either end. Near that was an 8 (or was it 10?) Atari computer MIDI-network setup to play the game Midi Maze. It's an FPS where you control smiley faces through a maze trying to shoot other people. Ran pretty well but I think the $1 for a half hour turned off people from playing it regularly.

As for tourneys, I joined in on the Soul Calibur 2 tourney. Got my ass handed to me on a melmac plate. My opponent took Mitsu and became the virtual embodyment of a chipper-shredder. I was able to juggle him with Maxi, but it was my only shining moment. After watching for a while, I can see that Link is a cheap character.

The shopping was good. GOAT store had plenty of titles along with Warp Zone (if I'm not mistaken) who had a Turbo Duo for $120. I wasn't much in the spending mood but I did manage to pick up Wordtris and Super Castlevania IV for the SNES, two JP 3DO controllers for $2 a pop, Atari Anniversary Edition for the Dreamcast, and a demo of an interactive fiction game called Pentari: First Light by Malinche Entertainment. Haven't played it yet.

I'll have a more comprehensive review after I get the photos developed.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Thanks fellas! Nice job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM
    Got to see some Japanese anime fighting game as well: it was all cartoon and the player selected a move which was shown as a film clips. An interesting concept.
    Ah, you got to play Battle Heat? I hear it's very smooth, unlike Dragon's Lair. I want to track that one down someday. You were playing a PC-FX game, right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

PC-FX! That was it! I was wracking my tired brain last night trying to remember the game and the system. No I didn't get a chance to play it, but I watched someone who was. He was hittin' buttons and moving the controller all about, but the action on screen took a bit. There were animation sequences that clipped well, but then there were sequences that just seemed to be cut short or just didn't go well with the moves the player made. Still, seeing it was an experience.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Ah, you got to play Battle Heat? I hear it's very smooth, unlike Dragon's Lair. I want to track that one down someday. You were playing a PC-FX game, right?
    I've got a PC-FX, Battle Heat is pretty much the only game I play on it (though I really only have a handful of titles). Here's a review of it:
    http://www.digitpress.com/reviews/battheat.htm

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just wondering how many people were over by the jaguar on tour section(that where I had robosquash running allday and protecor SE ,BI/WN and various other jaguar and lynx items displayed)
    Terrence also had gorf pluz and mad boddies running.
    Dan Iacovelli

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Iacovelli
    just wondering how many people were over by the jaguar on tour section(that where I had robosquash running allday and protecor SE ,BI/WN and various other jaguar and lynx items displayed)
    Dan Iacovelli
    Robosquash was on the Lynx, right? Yep I played that against, well, maybe you. It was someone who ran the table who jumped onto the other system as my wife didn't want to play (she's game inept and doesn't want to embarass herself). Pretty cool game.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Iacovelli
    Dan Iacovelli
    Robosquash was on the Lynx, right? Yep I played that against, well, maybe you. It was someone who ran the table who jumped onto the other system as my wife didn't want to play (she's game inept and doesn't want to embarass herself). Pretty cool game.
    yep that was me yoshi, I was running a tourney on that game, you didn't specify if you wanted to enter.

Dan Iacovelli