Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lukemorse1 has returned...

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Lukemorse1 has returned...

Of the few personalities and channels I occasionally watch...this one is pretty devastating. Happy Console Gamer actually was responsible for really highlighting this enthusiast of our hobby after receiving a duo and other items from him. Others may have found him before. Maybe it was his genuine magnetic personality that came across, the variety of his vids, or his willingness to just share his experiences living in Japan, but whatever it was, Luke in my book had star quality. Ironically, all of this ended up contributing to the situation he is in now and somewhere in the mess is probably a lesson for us all.

Check out his channel and previous videos as they are pretty amazing...but I warn you that final vid is gutwrenching.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lukemorse1
    Last edited by Diatribal Deity; 08-30-2009 at 07:58 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I caught this video today as well, and it really was painful to watch. His personality was usually so optimistic and happy....
    Last edited by tubeway; 08-14-2009 at 05:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never heard of this guy, so I watched a couple of his old happy videos then watched the final video.

Sad cautionary tale. Maybe his wife will take him back if he gets rid of all the games. Or maybe there was a deeper issue there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

For some people, videogames are a Life of Death matter ... and for some people it was much more.

Its quite sad because many of us can be in a similar situation.

Good luck for him, this will be a void that will be too hard to fill.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Who?

Seriously, who?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    Sad cautionary tale. Maybe his wife will take him back if he gets rid of all the games. Or maybe there was a deeper issue there.

I'm sure that dumping all the games will not get her to immedately take him back. It could be the start of a process, but one that will not happen just because he liquidates games. Besides, a straight liquidation will probably make him a very bitter person because I highly doubt that if he got rid of the games that everything would be all better and if he went into it hoping that it would solve the problem, he'd just end up even more upset.

The line he gave about talking to his dad and that people are there, things break get lost, stolen ect... shows that he had been going down this path for a LONG time.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Even though, I don't know the guy....I feel for him...Hope his situation and everything else will be ok at the end of the day...
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Strawberry (Level 2) emceelokey's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He killed his wife and child!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WolfpacLeader
    PSN
    wolfpacleader86

Not to be mean or nothing but it's time for a dose of real life:

I don't know his situation but this is why you find someone who is interested in the same things you are. Say if you like video games, find someone who's interested. Also, it's really important that you understand each other. To me, it sounded like she didn't like his hobby at all. But, hey it happens. You find a girl who's right and as time goes on, after you see her true colors, she becomes a monster. Same with men. We are the same way sometimes. But, you have to weather the storm sometimes. It's life.

I'm not saying he's completely innocent. But, he should think about everything before he talks about it. If you just think about it for a few hours, it doesn't really add up. This is something that requires a lot of thought. It's natural to feel like you were selfish after the breakup of a marriage or relationship. But, it takes a while to truly decide if you were or not.

You shouldn't have to give up something you enjoy to cater to others. If that person doesn't accept you for who you are, then they do not love you. If you truly love someone, you will accept their beliefs, hobbies, and shortcomings. If you want a movie star, date one. If you want a Playboy model, date one. Don't come in to a relationship expecting people to change. That simply will not happen. Do NOT change yourself to suit others. The only time you should change yourself is when it is really necessary(i.e. a smoker quitting, an alcoholic giving up booze, etc).

The only person that will always be there for you is you. Wives and husbands can split. Family and friends can turn their backs on you. Trust me, that's all happened to me. These are life lessons that I've learned the hard way.

But, on the other side of the coin, do not indulge yourself too much. When you find someone you truly love and she truly loves you, be attentive. When she needs you, be there. Same for you ladies. When we need you, be by OUR sides. That seems to be a common misconception, that we as men do not need the support of our women. We do.

If you truly love each other, divorce is NOT an option. You should be able to work things out between each other, no matter HOW bad it is. If you don't, then splitting up is the best idea. But, either way, you should TRY to work it out before you call it hopeless.

Balance is the key to a healthy relationship. If you're in one right now, you can save yourselves the pain that he obviously has:

Take a quick quiz. Both of you, ask these questions to yourselves:

1. Do you really love her/him?

2. Can you live without her/him?

3. If it is truly needed, would you give up everything to remain with her/him?

4. Do you guys love to spend time together?

5. Do you let her/him hang out with your friends on occasion?

6. When requested, can you give each other space? For example, if you want to be alone with the boys, can she fall back and give you that space?

7. Do you share your biggest interests together and accept them and/or encourage them? For example, if you love video games, can you take her to NAVA and still have a good time?

8. Can you freely share your problems with one another?

9. Do you really trust one another?

10. When around the opposite sex, can you let her/him associate with them? For example, if she wants to go to a club with her girlfriends and they dance with other guys, will you be jealous?

If you answered "YES" to most of these, you're okay. If you answered "NO" to a couple, no big deal. If you answered "NO" to MOST of these, it's time to re-evaluate the relationship. Maybe it's not worth your time any more.

I feel his pain, but I'd give him time to heal. Let's see how he plays this out. I'm hoping that he reads this forum and this post. I also hope that this post helps anyone out in a relationship/marriage.

This is a huge cause of mine. I hate seeing people sad and destroyed because of a relationship gone wrong. It was the biggest cause of my downfall last summer. I didn't follow my own advice and got stabbed in the back. I was a fool for giving this girl chance upon chance.

It brought me down so much that I had a heart attack from all the energy drinks and stuff I was doing to numb the pain. After that, I've become sort of an advocate for healthy relationships. It's bad enough I suffered. I don't ever want to see anyone suffer like I did.

BTW, emceelokey, I'm a wrestling fan and had to endure the whole "Benoit situation". Joking about that isn't exactly funny.
    Last edited by JohnnyBlaze; 08-14-2009 at 07:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBlaze View Post
    Take a quick quiz. Both of you, ask these questions to yourselves:

1. Do you really love her/him?

2. Can you live without her/him?

3. If it is truly needed, would you give up everything to remain with her/him?

4. Do you guys love to spend time together?

5. Do you let her/him hang out with your friends on occasion?

6. When requested, can you give each other space? For example, if you want to be alone with the boys, can she fall back and give you that space?

7. Do you share your biggest interests together and accept them and/or encourage them? For example, if you love video games, can you take her to NAVA and still have a good time?

8. Can you freely share your problems with one another?

9. Do you really trust one another?

10. When around the opposite sex, can you let her/him associate with them? For example, if she wants to go to a club with her girlfriends and they dance with other guys, will you be jealous?

If you answered "YES" to most of these, you're okay. If you answered "NO" to a couple, no big deal. If you answered "NO" to MOST of these, it's time to re-evaluate the relationship. Maybe it's not worth your time any more.
    Thanks, Sue Johanson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You shouldn't have to give up something you enjoy to cater to others. If that person doesn't accept you for who you are, then they do not love you. If you truly love someone, you will accept their beliefs, hobbies, and shortcomings. If you want a movie star, date one. If you want a Playboy model, date one. Don't come in to a relationship expecting people to change. That simply will not happen. Do NOT change yourself to suit others. The only time you should change yourself is when it is really necessary(i.e. a smoker quitting, an alcoholic giving up booze, etc).
    Yeah, I was definitely thinking this after watching that earlier today. If somebody doesn't respect you and your interests, what's the point? Completely change yourself to be someone you aren't just for them? Some people do that, but it's not usually a happy situation on either side...

And I know the stereotype is usually of women trying to do this to men, but it absolutely goes the other way as well. Either way though, if the person you're with won't respect your most important interests... yes, people matter more than things. But it's not just about the things. On the issue of just playing games, as opposed to buying them...

I guess it just comes down to if people believe that videogames are a negative, destructive force. And looking at a good number of the replies I saw on Youtube, a lot of people, even gamers, do seem to think that deep down... "gaming is a bad thing really, giving it up would be for my betterment". Because isn't that the idea there, that stopping playing games would make you a better person? But why would anyone who likes this industry think that way? I don't, and I don't think people should, either.

On the issue of BUYING games too much though, that I could understand better if it was a really bad situation. Was he spending way too much on games, going into debt or using all his earnings buying a fifth PC Engine instead of saving anything or something? How big were his monthly credit card bills versus how much he made... it doesn't need to be that bad, just enough to be an issue. Those are kinds of things that can split people apart, no matter how much they respect the other person's interests. My suspicion is on the 'games are bad' issue though more than this one, and that's the same take that a lot of people on youtube and such are reacting to it as... except without this criticism of the basic premise. I mean yes, ignoring people to do things with the internet as an issue... sure. But was it just that, or was it more than that, "that he buys and plays games at all"?

Oh, and of course, it's quite likely that other factors were involved as well. There usually are multiple issues that would cause that kind of thing, and blame on both sides, not just one thing. We don't know, and won't, because that's personal stuff he certainly doesn't need to tell the world about.

But yeah, if it actually does have something to do with just the basic "playing games is a bad thing", I definitely have a problem with that attitude. Games should not be considered a shameful thing to be hidden anymore.

Don't come in to a relationship expecting people to change. That simply will not happen. Do NOT change yourself to suit others. The only time you should change yourself is when it is really necessary(i.e. a smoker quitting, an alcoholic giving up booze, etc).
    Indeed. Which is why the question here is, why do so many people still think that videogames are something that should be added to that list?
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 08-14-2009 at 11:37 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but I think some people really don't understand how a relationship, marriage, or family dynamic work. The "never give in, never surrender" attitude will make most people very sad and very lonely at the end of the day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Quote Originally Posted by nhm View Post
    I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but I think some people really don't understand how a relationship, marriage, or family dynamic work. The "never give in, never surrender" attitude will make most people very sad and very lonely at the end of the day.
    I couldn't agree more. A strong relationship is predicated on a lot of things; trust, communication, understanding, and *compromise*. I absolutely love video games or I wouldn't be here, but it's ridiculous to expect a spouse to take a backseat to a hobby. She may well have thought gaming was great, but that doesn't mean she would be okay with her husband devoting the vast preponderance of his free time to it at her and their child's expense.

Moderation is important, and if you are consumed with games (to the exclusion of all else) your relationships will invariably suffer as a result. It is a situation reminiscent of the many anecdotes we've all heard about WoW players that ended up losing their wives and children, much like Mr. Morse apparently has. Asking a wife and child to accept a husband and father who places a hobby above them is ridiculous and unreasonable.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with nhm and Hawksmoor and disagree then with BlackFalcon and JohnnyBlaze.

You can't be an unloving asshole to your family and then blame THEM for not "accepting who you are." Liking video games is fine. Ignoring the needs of your family in order to obsess over video games is not okay. Relationships require work. I doubt anyone who thinks you can do whatever the Hell you want in a relationship has been in a long-term relationship.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not to sound arrogant or anything, but I was looking over this guys videos and he had nearly 800 of them! If you have this many then its really time to get a reality check because that is just going overboard to the limit, Especially if you have a wife and kids. It finally dawned on him but is was too late in his case. He should of looked at himself from another persons perspective and see this coming...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found out about Lukemorse1 originally through a mention in a HappyConsoleGamer video, which was basically the only video game-related youtube channel I watched regularly, but soon after Luke's channel quickly superseded HCG as my favorite in that regard.

He updated SO often that usually every day that I'd check there'd be some new interesting thing to see. Lots of obscure stuff, obscure Japanese consoles and tips on how to do repairs, mods, or even just something simple like how to take apart and clean/refurbish cartridges.

He came across as a genuinely good guy who just loved old video games and wanted to share that with other like-minded folks. At one point a bunch of people were sending him all kinds of free games/consoles just to see his reaction when he opened them up on-camera. It was fun to watch.

I'll miss his updates, but I think he's doing the right thing by sort of bowing out gracefully and trying to pull his family back together. I wish him the best of luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    I agree with nhm and Hawksmoor and disagree then with BlackFalcon and JohnnyBlaze.

You can't be an unloving asshole to your family and then blame THEM for not "accepting who you are." Liking video games is fine. Ignoring the needs of your family in order to obsess over video games is not okay. Relationships require work. I doubt anyone who thinks you can do whatever the Hell you want in a relationship has been in a long-term relationship.
    You really think that things wouldn't be different if it was a more "socially acceptable" thing he was spending his time and money on?

I mean, it's possible that it's JUST the time issue as you say (of course balance and spending time with family members are important things you can't ignore), but I really doubt it... that was likely one part, but very unlikely to be all of it I think. And that's my point -- not about how much time he spent or didn't spend with his family versus Youtube (though I do think that interacting with people online counts as a kind of interaction too, of course, your family is more important), but about how common negative attitudes towards videogames are and how central an issue that is in a lot of cases like that, I think.

... I mean, yes, not always, not when someone is really ignoring family members and they don't like that. But really, if it was something not popularly stigmatized, I think there would be a LOT less complaints across the board. "You know, they're doing something worthwhile or at least accepted...".

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    I found out about Lukemorse1 originally through a mention in a HappyConsoleGamer video, which was basically the only video game-related youtube channel I watched regularly, but soon after Luke's channel quickly superseded HCG as my favorite in that regard.

He updated SO often that usually every day that I'd check there'd be some new interesting thing to see. Lots of obscure stuff, obscure Japanese consoles and tips on how to do repairs, mods, or even just something simple like how to take apart and clean/refurbish cartridges.

He came across as a genuinely good guy who just loved old video games and wanted to share that with other like-minded folks. At one point a bunch of people were sending him all kinds of free games/consoles just to see his reaction when he opened them up on-camera. It was fun to watch.

I'll miss his updates, but I think he's doing the right thing by sort of bowing out gracefully and trying to pull his family back together. I wish him the best of luck.
    That stuff kind of annoyed me, why send someone who has so much stuff ... more stuff? I mean, there are so many more deserving people out there... they just don't have channels with lots of subscribers. I don't know, it just didn't seem quite fair. I know he didn't ask for it, really, (just 'maybe send me some broken things' or something like that at one point), but still.

... I'm not saying this because I wish I was getting it or something, sure it'd be cool but I have quite a lot of games, hundreds and hundreds. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who don't and would be really happy to get just about anything.
    Last edited by A Black Falcon; 08-15-2009 at 01:38 AM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    That stuff kind of annoyed me, why send someone who has so much stuff ... more stuff? I mean, there are so many more deserving people out there... they just don't have channels with lots of subscribers. I don't know, it just didn't seem quite fair. I know he didn't ask for it, really, (just 'maybe send me some broken things' or something like that at one point), but still.

... I'm not saying this because I wish I was getting it or something, sure it'd be cool but I have quite a lot of games, hundreds and hundreds. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who don't and would be really happy to get just about anything.
    I'm not them, but I'd imagine they sent it because it was theirs to give, and they knew it would be genuinely appreciated and taken care of.
    Last edited by Berserker; 08-15-2009 at 02:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Exclamation

I think that's one of those things that would have better been left unwritten. It's a free country, after all.

Best of luck to the dude.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a sad thing, but gaming can not be the sole reason why these things occur. It's just a convenient scapegoat. Personal relationships are extremely dynamic and people like to assign blame. Something that can't argue or rationalize itself (games) are a soft target for this desire to blame. Either one of them could be assigning the blame to games. Anyway, it's on the two adults involved. They need to figure it out or part for good.

Bummer all around, good channel.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives