Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Different games with the same name (Genesis and SNES)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    It's not an American release, so who cares?
    Well, there goes the neighborhood. I already listed some people who would have cared back in the day, though. Anyway, why do you care that I care?

The only reason I'm arguing this point is because I had the exact opposite confusion -- my initial impression from the titles was that Castlevania: Dracula X was a completely original game that had nothing to do with the PC Engine CD game, other than being in the same series.
    It's a good thing we're here to assure you that this is not the case! p.s. aren't you glad somebody cares?

And for what it's worth, "Rondo" is an English word, and isn't part of the title of the SNES game in any territory.

Now you're just messing with me, right? Castlevania: Dracula X. The subtitle is the part after the colon.
    Rondo is borrowed from French, actually (and they use some kind of German at the introductory cutscene on the PCE CD).

Thought you meant the PCE game, which is obvious if you note that I mention that game's subtitle specifically (I didn't hallucinate it on the SNES game's box). No, I have more entertaining things to do than mess with you, no worries there.

On the subtitle front, many of the game in Japan had the exact same title as the NES Castlevania's Japanese version, which certainly would bear out your earlier assumption that the game isn't related at all to the PCE game.

I have no idea why all this is worth discussing either, but one last thing: On the JPN title, you note that Akumajo Dracula is the series name, but "Castlevania X" would be silly - so they chopped up the JPN series title for "Dracula X." This is why I find it hard to call "Dracula X" a subtitle, though indeed it may be called one. Another example of the necessarily rather fragmented marketing Konami has employed for the series throughout its run.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guys, chill. Rondo isn't even a genesis game! *gasp*

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Getting some kind of vibes that there are questions being asked that I'm not supposed to attempt to answer...

Anyway, somebody asks questions, I'll answer them, seems like a fair trade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    Someone(mayber the OP) should keep a running total of all the games and the differences.
    Yeah! That was the original point of this thread. As different games are brought up I will SLOWLY but surely add them to the main list. I have very little time during the work week.

I loved the idea of competing systems having the same franchises but different games to showcase them. Could you imagine if companies still did this. Games like GTA IV, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion or Fallout 3 being completely different original games on the 360 and PS3 respectively?

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Guys, chill. Rondo isn't even a genesis game! *gasp*
    Thank you! It seems like this thread is starting to slide off track.

But thanks to everyone for the games they have listed so far. As I stated above they will be added to the main list this weekend.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They're not completely different games but Outlander on the genesis has an inside the car view during the terrible driving segments while the SNES version has a zoomed out view outside of the car during its terrible driving segments. I don't think you could fire your gun at other vehicles in the SNES one too, though I could be wrong. I seem to recall that the terrible action segments are identical though.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Alien 3

The Genesis version is a stage based with being open world just in that stage.

The SNES version is stage based but during each stage there are computers which you'll go to in order to get different missions which you need to complete every mission to go to the next stage. Like save the hostages, destroy the incubation eggs, etc.

SNES version is better in every aspect. Genesis version is pretty good.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    Thank you! It seems like this thread is starting to slide off track.

But thanks to everyone for the games they have listed so far. As I stated above they will be added to the main list this weekend.
    I don't know why, but I didn't seem to notice that you were only looking for differences between SNES and Genesis releases. I thought you were looking for any game for any system. I really don't know why I didn't notice when it's posted so clearly in the original post, sorry about that. I'll have to think of more games that were released for those consoles, pretty much all the differences I was aware of had already been mentioned.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah! That was the original point of this thread. As different games are brought up I will SLOWLY but surely add them to the main list. I have very little time during the work week.

I loved the idea of competing systems having the same franchises but different games to showcase them. Could you imagine if companies still did this.
    That is an interesting point/idea(competing systems having the same franchises but different games to showcase). We are actually seeing the 360 & PS3 get one version and the Wii(and sometimes PS2) get a different one. The new Ghostbusters game is a good example.

Anyways, I would love to see a complete list, along with the differences and opinions on which plays better. Lets keep this up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Great Circus Mystery has different levels in the SNES/Genesis comparisons. I remember because there was this one level when I rented the Genesis version that I could never get past. When I bought a copy of the SNES one, the level wasn't there, and there were some other alternate levels as well.

Animaniacs is another game with completely different versions. The Genesis one is more of a platformer, while the SNES version is top-down beat-emup style.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

My favorite example is Sunset Riders. A very good 2 player shooter, like Contra, in western times by Konami! Both good games, but different on each system.

Sunset Riders on the Genesis is crazy. Bullets everywhere and fling fast. There are only 4 or 5 levels. This is a very good game and the first of the two that I actually played.

Sunset riders on the Snes is better IMO. The bullets do not fly as fast and it is not as hectic. There are 4 extra levels plus the original ones from Genesis. You can pick from 4 different people. In between the stages there are mini game/bonus levels. Much better in every way.

Both are very good games and I would suggest picking them both up if you've never played them.

We also have disscused this before in another thread. Something about best or better versions of games or something. If you could find that post might be full of suggestions for your list.
    In yo face!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Okay! I finally got the main list up to date... whew!

I tried to keep just the basic facts in there. So, despite that one version of a game might clearly be better than the other, i'll leave that to be discussed within this thread rather than posting opinion with facts in the OP.

Thanks again to everyone for their help. I'll continue to add them as people suggest them, but something tells me we have hit all the games that have major differences.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Okay! I finally got the main list up to date... whew!

I tried to keep just the basic facts in there. So, despite that one version of a game might clearly be better than the other, i'll leave that to be discussed within this thread rather than posting opinion with facts in the OP.

Thanks again to everyone for their help. I'll continue to add them as people suggest them, but something tells me we have hit all the games that have major differences.
    You missed The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgment Day, both of which, like Robocop vs. Terminator, have somewhat similar gameplay but completely different levels on each platform. (for The Terminator, the Sega CD game is the best, and is really quite good... for Terminator 2, none of the platformers are really that good. The light-gun game is good though... and that is also on SNES and Genesis, as T2: The Arcade Game. They are both ports of the same arcade game and are definitely not different games, but the SNES version came out several years later and is quite a bit better.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    You missed The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgment Day, both of which, like Robocop vs. Terminator, have somewhat similar gameplay but completely different levels on each platform.
    Your right! The Terminator is different on both systems and I can't believe I forgot to post that one. I'll add it later today.

Terminator 2 however, I have never played. But looking at the videos of both the Genesis and Snes versions on Youtube shows that Terminator 2 is the same game on both systems.

Strawberry (Level 2) emceelokey's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first thing that comes to my mind in this situation is Batman: The Animated Series games for the SNES and Genesis. Both were completely different game but this is one of those rare occasions where both were great games.

A lot of the licensed Konami games were like that at the time. Animainacs were two different games for each system.

I also remember Beavis and Butthead being completely different games on each system.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Spider-man vs. Kingpin - Same title for Genesis and Sega CD, yet they're totally different games.

Sonic 3D Blast - Essentially the same game for Genesis and Saturn, only the Saturn version has way better bonus stages, not to mention superior graphics.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

you guys pretty much just covered all the games i was going to mention, only game i can think of with any difference that hasnt been mentioned is wipeout 2097 for the sega saturn having a completely different soundtrack than the sony playstation version.

the saturn versions soundtrack was basically covered entirely by cold storage while the ps1 version had a range of artist, only one i can think of was the prodigy but there were like 8 or 9 total artist contributing tracks
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    you guys pretty much just covered all the games i was going to mention, only game i can think of with any difference that hasnt been mentioned is wipeout 2097 for the sega saturn having a completely different soundtrack than the sony playstation version.

the saturn versions soundtrack was basically covered entirely by cold storage while the ps1 version had a range of artist, only one i can think of was the prodigy but there were like 8 or 9 total artist contributing tracks
    The Saturn version uses the same soundtrack as the PC version, actually, and the PC version came out in 1997 just like the Saturn one (versus 1996 for the PSX). Some licensing issues must have come up between the PSX and PC/Saturn releases or something, or they wanted to save some money by not having to pay licensing fees again, or something like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the licensed music in the Playstation version was from Sony's record label.