0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    CROM JR

Default Top Ten worst video game controllers

By Craig Harris at IGN
    http://ca.askmen.com/top_10/top_10/2_top_10.html

Number 10
    5200 Controller

Though Nintendo didn't truly innovate with analog controllers out of the box, at least the company got it right. Atari's attempt two decades prior was just unbelievably weak -- the company created an analog joystick that didn't even center itself when released, and its engineers used material for its buttons that seemed to deteriorate at room temperature.

And the games were challenging, but not in a good sense -- with this thing, trying to get Pitfall Harry to jump over a gap was just as difficult as trying to stop him from running to the right.

Number 9
    Turbo Touch 360

Dear Control Engineers:

Please don't remove the D-pad on a controller in favor of a touch-sensitive surface. You may try to con fighting gamers into thinking it'll make smooth circular motions easier, but you may not realize they like to rest their thumb on the pad when idle. Thanks.

Your pal,
    Craig

Number 8
    U-Force

What looks like a laptop when folded and a Death Star access panel when open? One of the most ridiculous third-party controllers ever conceived, that’s what. Infrared beams shot out of this unit's surface and tried to interpret hand motions as controller movements, but did it work? Know anyone who owned this thing? There you go.

Number 7
    Power Glove

One of the history’s stupidest controllers is also considered one of the most classic simply due to the brilliant marketing practice known as "product placement." The Wizard, starring Fred Savage, was a 90-minute Nintendo commercial for Mattel's Power Glove and Super Mario Bros. 3, even going so far as to use both items in the movie trailer. So even if you didn't pay your six bucks for a movie ticket, you were still assaulted with the branding. Oh, and you won't look as cool as an ‘80s Nintendo wizard when you strap it on, so don't bother.

Number 6
    TI-99 Joystick

Computers in the ‘80s weren't meant for the gaming market, but let's be realistic: That's all we really used those things for anyway. Texas Instruments' TI-99, a computer with an optional disk drive twice as massive, jumped on the gaming market early on with a bunch of classic games like, uh… M*A*S*H, and, uh… some Pac-Man clone.

Anyway, you had the choice of controlling these games with either: a) the keyboard or; b) one of the crappiest, most unresponsive, piece-of-junk joysticks ever produced. But hey, there were two of them!

Number 5
    Philips CDi Game Controller

Philips certainly had its heart in the right place -- it just didn't have any brains. The Philips CDi was a dead-on-arrival, straight-to-infomercial multimedia system with a huge focus on games. But with a really retarded set of remote controller designs, from the sluggish and wildly inaccurate analog unit to a digital pad that looked more like a crack pipe than a controller, these guys really knew how to woo the gaming public. But at least the system had Zelda!

Number 4
    Intellivision Disk

Look, we understand that many system designers were shooting in the dark during the early days of video games. As for the Intellivision Disk, I'm sure that a handheld controller that looked like a touch-tone phone seemed like "Space Age Technology," and that offering the “Disk” with more directional points than an 8-way controller seemed like it a gamer's dream, but good luck figuring out if you're pressing left or just slight up and left. And controller overlays? Work of the devil.

Number 3
    Sega Activator

Didn't the U-Force teach us that invisible infrared beams are the absolute worst way of controlling your games? This octagon from Sega promised players who stood in the middle a new way of fighting in titles like Eternal Champion. But it just ended up making 8-year-olds look like they were having convulsions.

Number 2
    Xbox Fat

I may be able to palm a bowling ball, but even I couldn't comfortably or effectively wrap my mitts around Microsoft's original monstrosity. This gargantuan thing was clearly made for the Rock Biter from The NeverEnding Story. What a shame the Nothing took him away.

Number 1
    Jaguar Controller

Maybe Atari was doomed even before the Jaguar was ever conceived, but its idea of a controller definitely didn't help. Not only did the company bring back the unnecessary phone keypad-with-overlays theme of the early ‘80s, Atari also created a three-action button device in a world of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat -- a genre that the company was trying to woo over to its 64-bit system. On top of this, the company utilized a VGA plug for its controller ports, and the controller plugs simply fell out if a mouse farted somewhere in the house.
    Last edited by crom; 08-17-2009 at 03:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

The Jaguar controller being #1 is absolutely ludicrous. I agree with some of the other entries on the list, like the U-Force and Activator, but I'm going to go ahead and say Mr. Harris' list is completely worthless. Hopefully the day will come when wantant Atari bashing is not so en vogue.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Having third party controllers on the list kinda short circuits the whole list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

There are plenty of controllers that are worse than the Atari Jaguars controller. People need to stop labelling that controller as crap just because the system didnt pan out. Third party controllers also shouldnt be on that list because there are hundreds of shitty ones which would slime the list.
    DERP

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Having third party controllers on the list kinda short circuits the whole list.
    Agreed. That opens the door to fill the entire list with wacky crap that trumps any first party controller out there.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Seriously. If this guy wants to include 3rd party controllers, then he didn't even scratch the surface as far as bad goes.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For the record, if I were making a top ten list of worst first party controllers the Jaguar's would probably appear somewhere on the list but certainly not #1. The 5200 or Colecovision might take that spot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I like the commentary on some of the items (couldn't be any briefer dismantling the Power Glove for instance) but it definitely is overreaching.

Also, my CD-i came with a trackball...so there. Not so bad at all (except for something like Link: The Faces of Evil, guh, still need a real pad for that).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

The Jaguar pad is amazing. And the Xbox Duke is ten times better than the S. I have the smallest hands in the universe, and I think the Duke is more comfortable than the S.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My list would have included the N64, Gamecube and Atari 2600 controller.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

U-Force, Activator, & Power Glove should have all tied for #1.

They are all pretty useless controllers.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

I am feel that the list should either focus on 3rd party controller OR OEM stock controller… NOT both.

There are well more than 10 3rd party controller that are worse than any OEM controller.

The Jaguar controller is always getting abuse… it is far from greatest, but not necessarily the worse.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why does every reviewer of things like this have to be such a dick?
    We get it. They suck. Do audiences really have to have this kind of commentary? I'm just tired of all the bile.

Strawberry (Level 2) sebastiankirchoff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    NoSleepTillMnhtn
    Steam
    laserdiscfan

Why do people keep saying the "Fat" Xbox controller is really bad? I personally don't think its THAT bad, really. Sure there are better controllers out there, but I liked the big Xbox controller and its layout, and why the hell is it at #2? I personally think most of the controllers on the list are worse than it, especially the Power Glove and the U-Force, which barely even function.
    500th Post! December ?, 2010

Movies in Theatres I Have Last Seen
    Fair Game: 4/5
    Fighter, The: 4.5/5
    Tamara Drewe: 4/5

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

#5 looks just like the VCR remote I had for the Goldstar VCR I bought from Sam's back in 1986.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that the original Xbox controller gets a bad rap... honestly, it never gave me many issues, and I think that I have normal sized hands.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I have big hands and I have to say that I love the original Xbox controllers. They are still my all time favorite.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    CROM JR

I remember the first time I played the original xbox, it was inside a promo xbox truck, outside of air canada centre for a raptors game... as soon as I picked up the controller I was like

"wtf is this? this is horrible"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    My list would have included the N64
    I hope your list is called "Best controllers ever," because then I could understand the N64 inclusion.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

N64 seems to be a love it or hate it controller. I personally can't stand it, as I don't have the speed to move back and forth across the three prongs as is necessary in some games.

Of course I usually mainly play the WWF games on it, the only games I could get to control decently. Maybe if I had one of those gamecube looking N64 controllers, that one didn't seem so bad.
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.