Thread: Help me look up info on "Star Video's Street Fighter II Controller"?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help me look up info on "Star Video's Street Fighter II Controller"?

I decided to purchase this item off eBay out of curiousity (and an interest in arcade stick that veers more into collecting to learn more about different kinds than the "Sanwa/HAPP" worship of norm.)

I didn't necessarily know what to expect out of the auction when I got it - just one of the sticks, I guess?
    Yeah, it turned out I got both -and- the while platform they were both stuck on. It has a very odd appearance, looking more like a prototype of an arcade stick than something you would sell in stores.

The sticks are fully-functional - I tested Street Fighter 2 Turbo on these. The sticks are configured for the default SF2 layout rather than the "Capcom Power Fighter" layout that many arcade sticks adopted, so L and R are the last two buttons.
    The buttons and sticks seem to be all leaf-switched or so, as they're silent. No clicky noises.
    The stick feels entirely different from what I'm used to - I've gotten HAPP stick sets and Hori stick sets before. This stick doesn't go as far as any of those, and also feels a lot more sensitive - barely a nudge and an action would happen. It took a LOT of getting used to before I could throw a single Hadoken, although I think with practice I could accustom to it.

Between the stick and the buttons I can see some exposed wires connecting them. Makes the stick feel more prototype-ish. On the black boxes on both ends is simply "JAPAN". On the ports that connect to a Super Nintendo "QJ" is engraved in a manner identically to the "QJ Top Fighter" arcade sticks.

Does anyone know someone out there who can help me learn more about this thing? If it's necessary I can take more pictures.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Looks like a weird custom stick that was hacked together with various parts to work on a Super Nintendo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    Looks like a weird custom stick that was hacked together with various parts to work on a Super Nintendo.
    That would be my guess as well. It looks like it's made out of Radio Shack Project Boxes to me. I could be wrong though. It's hard to tell for sure from the pictures. Still cool though. A lot better than the arcade controller I made out of a priority mail box
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It might be a custom stick, but then it'd have me beg the question "What/who is Star Video and why would they need a custom SNES stick? And why make it look weird and protoproject-esque?"
    I've tried looking it up on Google and see what seem to be some video storechains, but I can't tell if any of them are related to what I'm looking for info on, except maybe the Star Video referred to in the description of this Youtube video?

The parts also feel rather unorthodox for a custom stick IMHO, although it's possible it's just because it was a stick of it's time or somesuch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What the dealie yo
    double post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    This stick doesn't go as far as any of those, and also feels a lot more sensitive - barely a nudge and an action would happen.
    Sounds like a stick made for shooting games, although Seimitsu (generally thought to be the leader in making those sticks) sticks should still make some noise. Any chance you could look at the actual joystick assemblies?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm weary about opening these up, especially when some of the cables are already exposed as is. I also tend to have "difficult moments" trying to pry things open, much to my own dismay. I'd probably end up breaking something.

Anyway, some other details - there's a "Turbo" switch on both the controllers. The action buttons go reallly far up compared ot what I'm used to - they're also really sensitive as well, though, working with barely a tap in spite of that. They're concave and have an appearance that's slightly more like the kind of buttons you'd see on late 80's Arcade cabinets than those on a fighting stick. Hrm.
    Last edited by Kiddo; 08-18-2009 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    garou5016

Crazy looking sticks there. They look like something you'd get with a Happy Meal.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nah, this was way too big and bulky to go with a burger and fries. :P

My best guess is that Star Video was some sort of store chain and they used this for their SNES Kiosks. Kinda a neat alternative to the official Kiosks or a "Nintendo Super System".

Maybe someone who actually went around to one can testify for/against such an idea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyXP View Post
    Crazy looking sticks there. They look like something you'd get with a Happy Meal.
    Somebody obviously has never seen arcade sticks converted for home use.

You know, the name "Star Video" seems to ring a bell...but that's all.