Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can you tell if something's going to be hard to find later?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default How can you tell if something's going to be hard to find later?

I am growing increasingly alarmed at the swelling of my mountainous backlog of games. I don't think I can justify buying something anymore just because it's sort of cheap and might become hard to find later - especially since I have a pretty abysmal track record when it comes to that kind of thing.

So my question is, how can you tell if something's going to be hard to find and should be purchased now rather than later?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

One thing to take into consideration is if it sells poorly. That's a good sign it'll probably be difficult to get at a low price later on.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Limited Distribution is usually a good sign.

"Online Only" is usually a good indicator (Electroplankton for DS, for example), but there have been cases where online only has given way to actual retail (i.e. Korg DS Synthesizer)

Typically, Collector's Editions that are really over-the-top either in packaging or included goodies is worth a look at least. (Bioshock) Though, you'll have stinkers like Halo 3's Legendary Edition that you can't give away.

Some collector/limited editions that are plain become tough to locate later on, like Mass Effect, Call of Duty 4, and perhaps Resident Evil 4 Premium Edition on PS2.

Otherwise, it's tough. Given the saturation of gaming in the marketplace these days, there aren't many games that are "hard" to find anymore.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oobgarm is pretty spot on in his post about what to look for.

Obscure and off the beaten path is a formula that's worked for years, for me anyway. I don't claim to have a better eye than anyone else but I've gone after the quirky and niche for quite some time now and time has proven that the ones I did pick up have escalated in value. Granted, it's never 100% they do, I probably lucked out more times than not. Like Oobgarm says, market saturation has made it harder to gauge things. I know I've certainly been caught with my pants down on some titles being harder to find that I figured would not be. A good example of that would be Tetris DS. I figured being a Nintendo release, it would be a somewhat common site in stores...man, did I not read that one good enough.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

On average, the vast majority of games plummet in price. I don't think I'd be too far off if I guessed a percentage well into the 90s. Out of the small percentage of games that don't plummet in price, the vast majority of them are "rare." I put it in quotes because they aren't really hard to find or expensive. They're just more expensive than their contemporaries. They still drop in price, just not as much. So a game that originally sold for $50 might stop declining once it hits $30. Expensive by comparison but still less expensive than it was. That's not really a big deal if you're worried about getting burned.

That means the number of games that actually increase in price (I'm assuming the games you're worried most about) is absurdly small. It was absurdly small multiple generations ago. And with the saturation of today's market, that number has only gone down.

I've been burned a few times a generation or two ago when I bypassed games I "could get later" only to eventually find them with $200 price tags. But the kicker is that the cost of paying that $200 on the off chance it does happen is actually far cheaper than taking the gamble that this game will go up in value or that game will and spend $50-$60 on new games that you otherwise could have waited to get for $20. If you spend an extra $30 out of fear that a game will vanish very quickly, then after doing that about 10 times you've already spent about as much money (if not more) on the sheer gamble than you would if you just waited and paid up for the two or three "money" games that might eek by when and if they happen. It's a sucker bet.

Atlus thrives on the dilemma you're facing. They embrace the situation where a potential consumer sees an individually numbered collector's edition of Devil Summoner 2 and thinks "Hey, that might become super rare. Better buy it now." I'm not saying the package isn't worth the $40 but just that people who bought it on the off chance it would become rare got a wake up call when it turns out there are well over 50,000 copies floating around. Not even Atlus games are the likely candidates for "money" games anymore. And with Games Quest Direct running around reprinting the "money" games, that changes things even more.

Though here's something that might help if you really want to figure out the possible rarities. Do a GameStop inventory search for a game. If you see a couple of pages worth of stores that have a copy, then it's common as dirt. If you see less than a full page worth of listings then it might still be common as dirt but has a better chance of being harder to find later on.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 08-20-2009 at 01:45 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it too much.

On average, the vast majority of games plummet in price. I don't think I'd be too far off if I guessed a percentage well into the 90s. Out of the small percentage of games that don't plummet in price, the vast majority of them are "rare." I put it in quotes because they aren't really hard to find or expensive. They're just more expensive than their contemporaries. They still drop in price, just not as much. So a game that originally sold for $50 might stop declining once it hits $30. Expensive by comparison but still less expensive than it was. That's not really a big deal if you're worried about getting burned.

That means the number of games that actually increase in price (I'm assuming the games you're worried most about) is absurdly small. It was absurdly small multiple generations ago. And with the saturation of today's market, that number has only gone down.

I've been burned a few times a generation or two ago when I bypassed games I "could get later" only to eventually find them with $200 price tags. But the kicker is that the cost of paying that $200 on the off chance it does happen is actually far cheaper than taking the gamble that this game will go up in value or that game will and spend $50-$60 on new games that you otherwise could have waited to get for $20. If you spend an extra $30 out of fear that a game will vanish very quickly, then after doing that about 10 times you've already spent about as much money (if not more) on the sheer gamble than you would if you just waited and paid up for the two or three "money" games that might eek by when and if they happen. It's a sucker bet.

Atlus thrives on the dilemma you're facing. They embrace the situation where a potential consumer sees an individually numbered collector's edition of Devil Summoner 2 and thinks "Hey, that might become super rare. Better buy it now." I'm not saying the package isn't worth the $40 but just that people who bought it on the off chance it would become rare got a wake up call when it turns out there are well over 50,000 copies floating around. Not even Atlus games are the likely candidates for "money" games anymore. And with Games Quest Direct running around reprinting the "money" games, that changes things even more.
    Strongly agree with everything stated here. The few games in this generation which will become hard to find down the road are really not worth the amount of money you might spend if you buy everything that could become hard to find now. It might mean spending a little more for those few games down the road, but you will literally save thousands of dollars when you can get most games for under $20 once the next generation of consoles rolls out.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, Atlus and formerly Working Designs thrived on this notion. Working Designs intentionally targeted collectors with their games. Look at the included holographic lettering, included stickers, and variable boxart.

But other than publishers intentionally limiting releases, there is no rule of thumb for difficulty to find. It's based on demand more than anything. A game can sell like crap and not have that many copies in circulation, but it's not going to be hard to find if nobody is looking for it. Otherwise, it could be a million seller and be difficult to find when it's based on a franchise with a rabbid fanbase (i.e. FF7 isn't really rare, but there's people out there who snatch up every copy they see).

Meh, I'm done babbling. I'm not really saying anything that isn't common knowledge.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, of course games are going to plummet in price - but nonetheless that doesn't mean they'll be easy to find, even at that lower price.

I've had my eye out for a copy of Metroid Prime 2 for a while now, for instance. Nothing's turned up here or at the local used game places. I suppose I could buy it on eBay, but the likelihood of getting burned by a bootleg or a scratched-up disc seems kind of likely.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

To hammer the point home, currently there is only one game on the Xbox 360 that I notice has not dropped in value and that's the Limited Edition of Tales of Vesperia (something I'm currently looking for). If I ran out today to buy up even three games just because they might become rare, I've probably already spent the same amount on those games (which are incredibly likely to eventually be worth dirt) that I could have invested in a copy of ToV: LE.

And with the internet and Ebay these days, pretty much everything will be at least obtainable. Even Panzer Dragoon Saga is on Ebay a lot and that game was printed in vastly fewer quantities than any game in this or last generation.

But if you're looking for anything this gen or last gen, just use GameStop's inventory search. It's not perfect but combined with making a couple of phone calls it's an invaluable resource.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 08-20-2009 at 01:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Well, of course games are going to plummet in price - but nonetheless that doesn't mean they'll be easy to find, even at that lower price.

I've had my eye out for a copy of Metroid Prime 2 for a while now, for instance. Nothing's turned up here or at the local used game places. I suppose I could buy it on eBay, but the likelihood of getting burned by a bootleg or a scratched-up disc seems kind of likely.
    That's very interesting... Metroid Prime 2 is extremely common CIB where I live.

By the way, is it possible to even make a bootleg Gamecube game? I know the games can be dumped to a PC, but...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also games released towards the end of a console's lifespan tend to be rarer. Twilight Princess for the GC still tends to sell for it's initial retail price or higher, despite it being easily available on the Wii. I'm not sure if the last Xbox game goes for anything decent. Keep an eye on the PS2 as it surely must be in the last year or so of its' life.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Quote Originally Posted by Swamperon View Post
    . Keep an eye on the PS2 as it surely must be in the last year or so of its' life.
    They've been saying that for the last two years...

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    But if you're looking for anything this gen or last gen, just use GameStop's inventory search. It's not perfect but combined with making a couple of phone calls it's an invaluable resource.
    Isn't GameSpot the incarnation of the Great Satan or something? (Anyway, we only have EBs here, and they're all practically depleted of GC games.)

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    By the way, is it possible to even make a bootleg Gamecube game? I know the games can be dumped to a PC, but...
    I just assumed. Surely it is so?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Isn't GameSpot the incarnation of the Great Satan or something? (Anyway, we only have EBs here, and they're all practically depleted of GC games.)
    GameStop, not GameSpot. Huge difference here.

I just assumed. Surely it is so?
    Well, tell me, how would it be done? As far as I know, writable 8 cm discs that can hold Gamecube games aren't available on the market. Even then, I think I heard something about Gamecube games using a unique writing method. There may be other ways to play backups, but I don't think bootleg Gamecube games exist.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    GameStop, not GameSpot. Huge difference here.
    Gah. Typo. I meant GameStop. (I rather like GameSpot, even after the whole Gesterman thing.)

Well, tell me, how would it be done? As far as I know, writable 8 cm discs that can hold Gamecube games aren't available on the market.
    I thought people used mini-DVDs for those all the time (although usually on modded GCs).
    Even then, I think I heard something about Gamecube games using a unique writing method.
    Well, yes, there's the reverse-written track thing. But they make freeloaders and Action Replays for the Gamecube, so presumably getting it to boot from an unlicensed disc through some exploit or another is not impossible.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I suspect that title is about to get a lot easier to find. The Metroid Prime Trilogy is coming out next week for the Wii and frankly, there is no reason to own MP2 on the GC after it does. The game even comes in a metal collector's case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I suspect that title is about to get a lot easier to find. The Metroid Prime Trilogy is coming out next week for the Wii and frankly, there is no reason to own MP2 on the GC after it does. The game even comes in a metal collector's case.
    I can tell you so many things wrong with that statement, especially collector-wise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

EB and GameStop are the same store just with different branding. The GameStop inventory search covers all those stores. If you do a search (make sure to click "Show backordered items" at the bottom of the screen) just plug in your zip code and you'll get a list of every store in a 100 mile radius that has the game.

As for it being the Great Satan, some people seem to choose to never do business there...which is their choice, of course. But I find that so long as the company isn't doing anything genuinely immoral like refusing to hire minorities or hosting cock fights in the stock rooms then I'd prefer to take advantage of both the convenience afforded to me by the inventory search and whatever deals and discounts I can find.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not to turn this topic into the whole "GameStop sucks!" shebang, the "Zero Originality" videos on YouTube did explain a lot. I do genuinely beleive GameStop is bad for the game industry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

A good rule of thumb is:

If a game sells poorly, yet still gets a sequel...that sequel will be produced in lower numbers and eventually harder to find.

Recent case in point: Dragon Quest V (DS) already OOP. Wow. I don't think anyone saw that one coming. Too bad for those that waited for the (not so) inevitable Square-Enix DS price drop. $40 and up continues to be the price of admission. Sealed copies are already fetching $60+ on Amazon/Ebay. Most online stores have been OOS for 2 months.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)