Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Default So I'm beginning to get concered I may have bought a bootleg

I've been looking for a reasonably priced open Tetris DS for a while now and decided to go ahead and use some funds in my paypal account.
    I saw this auction was ending soon and ended up winning for what I felt was reasonable for an authentic version: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Everything seemed pretty much on the level as the artwork and manuals appear legit so I didnt worry unitl the other day when I was thinking about the whole DSi thing and it having problems with bootleg software; which is a concern as I may buy one someday. After looking back through his feedback, it seems like the seller sells alot of obvious knock off GBA games and the picture on the auction I bought is the same picture that the seller posted on another auction. I'm probably jumping the gun worrying about this since I havent even gotten the game yet but still...
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Odd situation. I recived the game today and other than the manual looking like a cross eyed hobbit stapled it together it more or less mirrors my other DS games exactly other than the number sequence on the board itsself. Something is amiss with the game though as it doesnt save scores or progress at all, plays oddly and it won't even run in the DSi I borrowed. I'll try to post some pics later for reference if anyone wants. As it sits I'm going to try and return it and continue my search. On a brighter note, I'm falling in love with the DSi
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

Sight unseen it sounds like a boot. Pics will confirm it for others to prove/disprove. Good luck getting a legit version. Took me years and if not for someone on DP, I wouldnt have found an afforable copy myself.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Yeah, I'd ask for a refund ASAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds bootilistic! A refund is most definitely in order.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ebay is a hotbed for bootleg GameBoy games nowadays. The old saying, “You get what you pay for.” Is often times very true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I'll agree to that statement however sometimes you get less than you thought you were paying for as well. It's not like it was some phenomenal deal that I was looking for. If I wanted a bootleg copy I can buy them for 15 bucks all day long from HK. I know that cheap prices on hard to find merchandise is usually shady. That's why I was trying to find legit, reasonably priced items which most of the time in the past on eBay, I have.

Here's some pics of the cart and paperwork:

I also contacted the seller last night and explained the situation to him. He promptly refunded my money. Now I have to send it back to him but says that he'll reimburse me for shipping we'll see. I honestly am not entirely sure he knows that they're shady but maybe thats what he wants me to think. Ah well back to looking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

So I pulled the trigger on another auction today hopefully this one will pan out....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

You have to watch VERY carefully about Tetris DS knock-offs, eBay is flooded with them, due to the fact that the game isn't made anymore, is in demand and is hard to come by for a good price. The one you just won seems a little cheap as well (I've seen the game go upwards of $70) and I'd advise if the next one is bootleg to not buy Tetris DS off of eBay, rather Amazon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Advice well recieved Baloo. I figured it was worth a try since while they can be faked this one did have what appears to be the complete manual set which I would think would be more effort than necessary for a bootlegger to put together course thats the same thing that got me in this mess in the first place.... If this one is a bootie, there really is no hope on eBay. I can get it on Amazon for a little more than that but I have problems buying things without pictures.
    Last edited by Robocop2; 08-22-2009 at 10:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why not just get the Japanese version? Tetris is Tetris, and the NTSC/J version is still in print.

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Quote Originally Posted by smork View Post
    Why not just get the Japanese version? Tetris is Tetris, and the NTSC/J version is still in print.
    Eh, I guess it's the principle of the thing and preference of the person. I know I would rather have a game in my native region and language if possible, but that's me. Although when it comes to handhelds I don't mind as long as it's in English at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Yeah I'm not really big on imports the language thing just gets on my nerves. Still good info to know though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

So I got the new one in yesterday and it appears to be good. Tried it the DS and the DSi and everything works just like its supposed. the case even still has the coin code page though I have no idea if its been used or not.
    Comparing from memory of the bootie I got, the instruction manual is MUCH higher quality and somewhat thinner and the serial on the board is more like the ones on my other DS games and doesnt appear to be rubbing off. the case is also similar but does appear of higher quality same story with the actual cartridge
    Without having a legitimate one to compare, it would be hard to tell if you hade one or not unless you popped it in a DSi. I'll could post pictures of this new one for reference if anyone wants

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

The label on that cart is clearly not an original label. The white DS band is too large, and way off center. It is rounder at the corners as well.

Since you've got a new one, I'd file a complaint with eBay and demand a refund for that bootleg.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

I already did, the guy refunded the money the same day and everything was taken care of so that was nice.
    It's crazy how accurate these pirate carts are getting I mean sure there's subtle differences but the average everyday person probably wouldn't even suspect anything
    Last edited by Robocop2; 08-28-2009 at 11:42 AM.