Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis cases vs. boxes

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Genesis cases vs. boxes

Just looking for some insight, mostly just wanting to know 'which came first' for any given game.

Asking because was pricing out a copy of Castlevania Bloodlines (complete in case) and saw copies with the red cardboard box on eBay as well.

Thanks!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

someone can correct me if I'm wrong (it's likely! : P)

The snap lock cases were for most Genesis games first. The cardboard ones didn't start showing up until around the time Genny 3 did- when they were marketing the unit + reprinting games for as cheap as possible?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pfp View Post
    Asking because was pricing out a copy of Castlevania Bloodlines (complete in case) and saw copies with the red cardboard box on eBay as well.
    The copies with cardboard boxes are Majesco rereleases.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Battlesmurf View Post
    someone can correct me if I'm wrong (it's likely! : P)

The snap lock cases were for most Genesis games first. The cardboard ones didn't start showing up until around the time Genny 3 did- when they were marketing the unit + reprinting games for as cheap as possible?
    The first cardboard ones I remember were around when Shining Force II and Phantasy Star IV were released - somewhat ironic since they had this cheesy packaging and were both very pricey games when released.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Apple (Level 5) Shadow Kisuragi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cardboard box games that were reprinted were rereleases from Majesco AFAIK, but other companies used cardboard boxes only such as Accolade.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Im not entirely sure when the cardboard boxes came into being but the plastic cases were used by nearly everyone except for Accolade who used boxes that always reminded me of smaller PC game boxes. I thought that some of the later releases came in cardboard. I know that 32X games pretty much all came in the cardboard cases so I assumed that that was about the time the changeover was made
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not all cardboard games were re-releases. Late in the Genesis's life span they simply switched. Much to the annoyance of all.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is there a list of games that are ONLY in cardboard boxes? Ones that didn't have a snapcase release?

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

I think sometime around the release of Sonic and Knuckles they started with the cardboard boxes. Sonic and Knuckles was one of the first games with a cardboard box, that much I remember. So it had to be around 1994ish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I think sometime around the release of Sonic and Knuckles they started with the cardboard boxes. Sonic and Knuckles was one of the first games with a cardboard box, that much I remember. So it had to be around 1994ish.
    I got S&K and Jurassic Park Rampage Edition for Christmas 1994 and both were quite unusual to me as they had the new cardboard box redesign.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Silljo View Post
    Not all cardboard games were re-releases. Late in the Genesis's life span they simply switched. Much to the annoyance of all.
    It's pretty annoying alright, years down the road. Much like most Nintendo cases of yore, the cardboard Genesis cases are a pain to find in good condition, let alone store carefully. Sadly my copies of S&K, JP:RE, and Earthworm Jim 2 have all but disappeared so I don't have to deal with that specific issue until I reacquire them, perhaps Ristar too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RicknSam
    PSN
    howie6925

Some early EA Genesis games were in cardboard boxes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Angry

I remember the excuse that Sega gave when they switched to those was that they were worried about all of those plastic cases winding up in landfills and thought the cardboard was better ecologically.

Sure - and the introduction of those sucky black and white manuals at the same time was coincidental - probably had nothing to do with cutting down costs.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

The color ink obvously was lead based and therefore they didnt want it damaging the environment when the paper case fell apart.

You know I can understand the scarcity of CIB games from the paper box era but I still can't understand why Boxed early Genny games are so hard to find at least compared to just the cartridges. I mean yeah sure paper cases are not durable but did people actually throw out their nice plastic cases and the instructions all the time? Because I alway kept my games nice and complete
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Howie6925 View Post
    Some early EA Genesis games were in cardboard boxes.
    Same goes for Accolade too. I think these boxes held up better than the revised official Sega ones as I see more of these in good shape than the mentioned.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    I mean yeah sure paper cases are not durable but did people actually throw out their nice plastic cases and the instructions all the time? Because I alway kept my games nice and complete
    I've known someone who just kept the discs for PS2 games and threw out cases and inserts, there are people like that though I personally keep all packaging.

Insert Coin (Level 0) betamax001's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SaturnXmkII

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I've known someone who just kept the discs for PS2 games and threw out cases and inserts, there are people like that though I personally keep all packaging.
    o.O I'm sorry. I can understand throwing out the boxes for cartridge based systems, but for disc based systems there is no excuse.

"Except for maybe those annoying Sega CD and Saturn US cases. What was Sega thinking when they used those instead of jewel cases?"
    NES, Atari 7800, Genesis, SNES, Saturn, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, GameCube, Atari Flashback 2, Limited Edition Red Wii, PS3 Slim, GBC, GBA, GBASP, DS Lite, and PSP 3000.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    You know I can understand the scarcity of CIB games from the paper box era but I still can't understand why Boxed early Genny games are so hard to find at least compared to just the cartridges. I mean yeah sure paper cases are not durable but did people actually throw out their nice plastic cases and the instructions all the time? Because I alway kept my games nice and complete
    Didn't GameStop/EB/Funco and that ilk throw out the majority of their boxes, even the "nice plastic" ones? I always attributed the shortage of plastic boxes to that.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0) betamax001's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SaturnXmkII

You'd think if the game came with the manuals they would want to keep those so people could know what to do. (Remember this was pre internet)
    NES, Atari 7800, Genesis, SNES, Saturn, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, GameCube, Atari Flashback 2, Limited Edition Red Wii, PS3 Slim, GBC, GBA, GBASP, DS Lite, and PSP 3000.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hate the cardboard box cases because you can't stack them on top of one another without damaging the bottom and middle ones.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Silljo View Post
    My copy of Phantasy Star IV looks crappy in its cardboard box next to the rest of the Phantasy Star series.