Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which IP/Franchise would you like to own?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    StetsonGraves

Default Which IP/Franchise would you like to own?

Which IP/Franchise would you like to own and why? Would you get it to make new games or stop the franchise before it's run into the ground? etc etc.

However, this only pertains to video games, so if you say you would want Indiana Jones, your control over it could only be limited to making/not making games with that license.

I would want Zelda. I love the games to death but I'm a little afraid that they will always be the same as long as Nintendo controls the franchise.

Arcade Card Compatible Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Castlevania, I would bring the 2D games back to consoles and probably stop making the 3D iterations since they where not that great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Try the Philips CDi Zelda/Link efforts, quite different and good fun (You even get to play Zelda).

I'd take Atari of course. 5 mill sold to Hasbro way back, I should have purchased that.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Streets of Rage.

I'm not sure which route I'd take, graphics-wise. Either hi-res hand drawn 2d ala BlazBlue, or super stylized 3D graphics similar to Street Fighter IV.

I would bring back Yuzo Koshiro for music. Online or local multi-player a must. Tons of unlockables. New levels and/or characters in the form of DLC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Mortal Kombat.

Throw the entire current universe out the window and start from scratch in whole other universe. It'd be stylized art like KoF and Blazblue.

The new universe would focus on a Planet that is ruled by 4 races: The Elements, The Creatures, the Flesh and the Brutes.

The Element(al)s would be like Jade, Rain, etc. Their living elements, not humans in colored swaps. FOr example, Rain would look like the Johnny Storm but water based.

The Creatures would be Scorpion, Reptile, Etc. They'd be hybrids - they would shape shift into their creature forms during combo sequences (like XII in SF3). It would also cause new good / bad factions to emerge within the races.

The flesh would be a human like race that has your Liu Kangs, Kitanas, etc. There would be a heirarchy based system so that rather than random military / cop / kung fu peeps, it would be a systematic choice based on combat training levels. The new Striker would be like a castle card, Liu King would be the chosen son, Kitana his bridesmaid, Raiden would be the King, Sonia a Tactician / Field Commander, etc.

Brutes would be the clay types - Kintaro, Motaro, Goro, etc, but with a twist. They'd be deeper in the gene pool history of the races (for example, Kintaro's father could have been a Creature and his mother a Flesh), and any riding creatures like Motaro's horse aspect would have a smaller brute rider on him.

Fatalities, brutalities, stage-alities, and a custom-ality all follow suit, with one important aspect: The losing player gets the chance to counter the fatality at the last second with a two button / button direction press. The press would be a single QTE that is different for every fatality. For example, to stop Scorpion's Toasty, you'd Press Back + Punch to Back Flip out of the way - essentially a Mercy in reverse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Super Mario Bros., 'cuz the money would be nice

Strawberry (Level 2) Game Freak's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

EDIT - Strike all the below. After further consideration, I would DEFINITELY get Rare back with Nintendo, and make more Donkey Kong Country Games. David Wise FTW!!!!

I'd either take Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, or Capcom.

If I took Zelda, I would halt all production of any more sh*tty DS games and focus on console games that DIDN'T suck as hard as TP did. I loved the graphics. The concept of transforming into a wolf was totally 1337, but the story and plot sucked hard.

If I took Mario, i would put an end to all these freakin sports games already and make sure we had at least 3 full length games on each system (And not have them 5 years apart!)

If I took Pokemon, i would fix the handheld games for the future, swapping the graphics so the map was 2D, like Ruby and Saphirre (or even back to GSC) and have the graphics be a 3D Pokemon Stadium-style graphics. I would also add back the storyline console games. Colosseum and XD were great IMO.

Finally, if I took capcom...let's see here...I'd make a sequel to GunSmoke, harken the Resident Evil Series, to a fixed camera, scared shitless survival horror. And lastly, I'd have them relicensed to Disney (if possible )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Megaman.

The blue bomber would remain in his 8-bit goodness and all the other games would be eradicated from history like the ancient Egyptians did with Hatshepsut.
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

The King of Fighters. Hell, the entire KOF/AOF/FF extended universe.

I could force SNK to develop Garou 2 and AOF IV that way!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Either Resident Evil or Timesplitters

I'd take RE back to the fixed camera route as well. Although I'd probably start a new storyline without all the characters returning (Wesker can only die so many times).

And Timesplitters is probably my favorite console FPS. I'd definitely make a 4th installment and keep the excellent gameplay with humor thrown in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In addition to Streets of Rage I'll add:

Shining Force
    Dark Wizard
    Eternal Champions
    Battle Arena Toshinden

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by todesengel View Post
    Castlevania, I would bring the 2D games back to consoles and probably stop making the 3D iterations since they where not that great.
    This. Except that not all 3d games in the series suck.

However, instead of the games being strictly 2d, I would try to remove the exploration formula that nearly ever game after SotN follows. I would follow a formula closer to Castlevania 3 or Rondo of Blood in which you could take different paths.

This way it brings the Castlevania series back to being purely skill based over than being slightly skillful just to bring the series to the masses.

The first thing I would do to reinvigorate the series would be to remake the original Castlevania, Castlevania 2, and Castlevania 3, just like Rondo was remade into DXC. Instead of adding all three to a single package though, only CV2 and 3 would be packaged together with the originals as well. I would do something else with the original.

With the original CV. Create an updated remake just like DXC, but on the side, have a 2d creation system with various backgrounds. From 8bit CV to 32bit. Allow to create stages based by levels and create an entire level based game from scratch using the various backgrounds through all of the series, edit them so they go into each other nicely and not look poorly done to which they don't even belong. The other option would be create your own exploration type CV game, same way, but instead of music per level, the music would be per area.

I think with New Super Mario Bros Wii, Nintendo is doing exactly what Mario fans have wanted for years. Or what about the introduction of LittleBigPlanet. Why hasn't this been done for Castlevania? This has been something I've been asking for for the longest time. I don't want to go through the trouble of using a game creator program, finding and ripping sprites, etc, and I'm sure alot of fans don't want to either. We want a fully functional one without having to go through the trouble and go out of our way.

IGAs direction of the CV series has failed horribly. Instead of making the series into a joke which he has been, he should just release remakes or stuff the fans would prefer. Curse of Darkness, Judgment, Order of Ecclesia, and Portrait of Ruin were subpar games(PoR being the best of them.) It's honestly been a landslide for the series. I know DXC came out after PoR, but that's a remake, so obviously it's going to be good as it's based on a good game.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Strawberry (Level 2) sebastiankirchoff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    NoSleepTillMnhtn
    Steam
    laserdiscfan

While it may seem crazy, I would take over the "Army Men" games and make them awesome. I actually liked the concept of Army Men games, but they weren't very popular and some of them sucked (Sarges Heroes on N64). I think if a "Valkyria Chronicles" style gameplay was used, with the different units having strengths and weaknesses along with a turn-based combat system, it would make an awesome game.
    500th Post! December ?, 2010

Movies in Theatres I Have Last Seen
    Fair Game: 4/5
    Fighter, The: 4.5/5
    Tamara Drewe: 4/5

Insert Coin (Level 0) Azraelscross's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Final Fantasy. I'd take it in quite a different direction. Not that i don't like the current direction its just not something i'd go for personally if i was a designer

Never let dreams die! CMA Death Adder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

When I was a kid, I thought it would be awesome to own the legal rights to both Super Fighter and Sango Fighter. And now, I do.

Aside from those two, owning the rights to Snow Bros. would be pretty neat. Not very likely, but still...
    Cruise by Diskman Presents : filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Snow Bros, ah yes, most excellent game, I should own that because of obvious reasons

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

I see DB has given this MK thing much thought. XD

I'd buy the rights to Maniac Mansion so I could make a sequel. None of this episodic shit either. It'd be more open like the first but still retain the art and humor of the second.

That'd be the top one.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I'd want to own something like Cosmic Fantasy Stories, Far East of Eden, or perhaps Megaten. I want to see a series like that go and make a collected/translated release of it's backlog of Japan-only titles.

Like you could have the remade 360 FEoE, and then as a "bonus" you would get the other games in the series too. I wonder how much a "professional translation hack" would really cost on an older game. If they have the source files still it should be no problem really, and they can just hack in subtitles for cutscenes to save cash on dubbing too.

Megaten is huge, so obviously putting EVERYTHING on one disc would be rediculous, but something like Megami Tensei I and II, and Shin Megami Tensei I and II collected would be reasonable I think. They could have MSX versions as bonuses or something maybe.

Obviously these wouldn't be super cheap ideas, but I would think things like this could be pulled off relatively cheaply, when compared to current "standard" game production costs. And then they could sell them for cheapish as well. If RPGs are too ambitious, how about a disc with EVERY Valis game/version playable and translated on it? Maybe even have three versions of the ones that came over, original game, original english, new english?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Jehusephat's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Snow Brothers is one of those IPs/franchises that never really went anywhere but really should have. I can imagine all of the cool sequels that could have been made in the few years following the game's release, but thinking about bringing it back now just puts the bad taste of all of those awful Bubble Bobble/Rainbow Islands/New Zealand Story games that came out for the DS in my mouth. I remember when Acclaim was going under, and I decided to browse the list of all of the IPs they had for sale to entertain myself. I never would have been able to afford anything on that list, but for that brief period I could've owned the rights to Bubble Bobble for $2,500. Looking back on it now, I wish I would've taken out a loan and gone for it. In the right hands, it could've gone somewhere. Not my hands, but at least owning them would've prevented them from falling into the wrong ones. I wonder who currently owns the rights to Snow Brothers, and how much they're going for...

I guess I'd really like to own the rights to Gyruss. I don't know why, but I've always loved that game.
    Last edited by Jehusephat; 08-27-2009 at 04:48 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WolfpacLeader
    PSN
    wolfpacleader86

I've always wanted the WWE franchise, because I as a wrestling fan feel that they could be doing more with their license.

SvR2010 has implemented some of what I've always wanted to do(Create A Storyline,16 player Royal Rumble, etc), but more could be done.

I've always wanted Capcom to do their games. Think about it as a modern day Saturday Night Slam Masters. Plus, wouldn't it be awesome if they did a crossover?

Capcom vs. WWE: Match of the Millenium!

C'mon! You mean to tell me you wouldn't pay to see Hulk Hogan vs. Ryu or Triple H vs. Guile or Vince McMahon vs. Vega?

You know what? I think I've been sick for a little too long.......