Thread: PS2 Network Adaptors, why so much?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS2 Network Adaptors, why so much?

I remember shortly after the PS2 slim came out stores were giving these away for $10.

Now recently after looking around for PS2 stuff I've been seeing them sold for anywhere between $35-$60. Is there something I'm missing? Is it because these are getting rare or what?

Sorry if I put this in the wrong section, it gets confusing. I don't know if the PS2 is still considered modern or since it's a question about the value of something if it goes here in the "What's it Worth" section. Just move it if I screwed up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

This has been discussed before.

Like last time, I imagine it's because people are finally figuring out things like Free McBoot, Swap Magic, HDLoader, and the like. Mainly HDLoader, which lets you play games off the HDD.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

HD LOADER and more programs are used to hack the PS2 to copy any game to a regular HARD DISK ....

Since you don't need any driver with that program, most units are sold loose
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kefkalol

i think the demand for the adapters is finally slowing down. i've made over $2000 selling them on ebay in the past six months or so. they were selling within minutes of me listing them. the last 3 i had took me about a week and a half to sell. and when they did, i didnt get as much as i had been getting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Sorry if this is too rudimentary.

Does the Network adapter allow the use of any Hard Drive, or is it just for internet connection?

I've seen PS2 Hard Drives and Network Adapters sold seperately. I'm not sure of thier relation to one another.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kefkalol

Quote Originally Posted by Koa Zo View Post
    Sorry if this is too rudimentary.

Does the Network adapter allow the use of any Hard Drive, or is it just for internet connection?

I've seen PS2 Hard Drives and Network Adapters sold seperately. I'm not sure of thier relation to one another.
    you can use any hard drive with the adapter, as long as it fits the in the system and attaches to the adapter correctly. then you'll need a program like hd loader to rip/play games from the harddrive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

Network adapters go for so much money because people buy them in bulk to sell overseas in poorer countries where PS2 is basically the newest gen for piracy for even more money. I had one regular buyer who bought all the ones I found off of ebay for $49 shipped to save on fees.

The price went down because gamestop recently decided that all the new PS2 bundles that used to be priced at $60 and included the system, a network adapter and atv offroad fury would be split up and sold as used, making the already flooded market even more flooded. People think that $15-$40 is a good flip but they are stupid because if no one lowered the price they would still be selling for $50 and still have just as much demand.

I'm stockpiling them right now instead of selling them for $40, hoping the price will go back up in a few months.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by darkslime View Post
    Network adapters go for so much money because people buy them in bulk to sell overseas in poorer countries where PS2 is basically the newest gen for piracy for even more money. I had one regular buyer who bought all the ones I found off of ebay for $49 shipped to save on fees.
    ... Or Mexico.

I know a guy who used to work at the flea markets I go to, he buys them up, then sells PS2s loaded with games in the hard drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by saferkefka View Post
    you can use any hard drive with the adapter, as long as it fits the in the system and attaches to the adapter correctly. then you'll need a program like hd loader to rip/play games from the hard drive.
    I heard (and tested a few as well) that Western Digital HDD's don't fit the adapter unless a slight modification is done.

I myself am looking for an appropriate HDD to install in my system, as the stock 40GB that came with Final Fantasy XI doesn't quite reach my expectations (space wise).

Any suggestions? I know Hitachi drives work (at least the one I have here), but it's too finicky (I despise Hitachi drives). Max HDD I am willing to put is 160GB (heard nothing higher than that will work).

Hmm...a GameStop near me has a HDD for $15...
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well at least now I know I can put my adapter and HDD to use with the HDloader program. I didn't about the program or any of this. This whole time my adapter and HDD was pretty much used as a paper weight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

you can use any hard drive with the adapter, as long as it fits the in the system and attaches to the adapter correctly. then you'll need a program like hd loader to rip/play games from the harddrive.
    Thanks for clarifying that for me saferkefka!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kefkalol

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    I heard (and tested a few as well) that Western Digital HDD's don't fit the adapter unless a slight modification is done.

I myself am looking for an appropriate HDD to install in my system, as the stock 40GB that came with Final Fantasy XI doesn't quite reach my expectations (space wise).

Any suggestions? I know Hitachi drives work (at least the one I have here), but it's too finicky (I despise Hitachi drives). Max HDD I am willing to put is 160GB (heard nothing higher than that will work).

Hmm...a GameStop near me has a HDD for $15...
    i have a 160gig maxtor in my personal system and have had no problems with it at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We were discussing this on here a year ago and I'm surprised that theres still a demand for these.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    b0xwater
    PSN
    is_vigilante

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    We were discussing this on here a year ago and I'm surprised that theres still a demand for these.
    There will still be a demand for these as long as there is a demand for the PS2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not true, I've got 3 HDDs (All 40gb, each one is a different brand) and only 1 works on my PS2. I know there's a list that shows all working HDD models so I'd check that out before investing in one.
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

i love em, they are easy to find cheap in the wild and sell for good money.
    Autobots. Roll out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kefkalol

Quote Originally Posted by HappehLemons View Post
    Not true, I've got 3 HDDs (All 40gb, each one is a different brand) and only 1 works on my PS2. I know there's a list that shows all working HDD models so I'd check that out before investing in one.

http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list

Insert Coin (Level 0) b1aCkDeA7h's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've broken a network adapter modding it to fit a Western Digital Hard Drive, so it's always best to just get a hard drive that fits. My best experiences were with Seagates and Hitachis. It may be possible to fit a 2.5 in with the proper adapter but I've never had a spare one to test this out.

The last time I found one in a store was at a Gamestop and I was lucky to be able to pick it up for maybe $17 for a buddy of mine, but that was well over a year ago, maybe more. Other times, I find them at flea markets and goodwills usually attached to a PS2. They have dipped in price a little but are still worth a bit.

Free McBoot is pretty awesome. With my v9, it can play PSX and PS2 backups and imports, HDLoader, CodeBreaker, Media Player, and more that I can't think of at the moment.