Thread: Why Is It So Difficult To Allow Cross-Platform Play? [Slashdot]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Why Is It So Difficult To Allow Cross-Platform Play? [Slashdot]

cookiej writes "I just got the most recent version of the Madden franchise ('10) for the PS3. Can somebody explain to me why EA has separate networks for the different platforms, only allowing players to compete with people using the same console? Back in the day, there were large discrepancies between the consoles, but these days it seems like the Xbox and the PS3 are at least near the same level. After so many releases for this franchise, they've got to have a fairly standardized protocol for networking; it seems arbitrary not to let them compete. Or am I just missing something obvious? Is it just a matter of Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network not working together?"
    Read more of this story at Slashdot.
    </img>
    </img>

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

It's obvious. One system is pay to play while the other is free. Like I said in another thread. With multi platform online, Microsoft wouldn't any reasoning to give as to why their consumers are paying $50 a year for the exact same service that other console owners are getting for free.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Actually its how EA wants to control things on their end. You realize that there were no Live enabled sports games on XBL for a few years right? EA demanded extra controls (controls that only Bungie has on XBLA) and the ability to run everything from their own servers so they could shut things down as they wanted. Also so they they could force track you in using your own login on top of your XBLA profile login. It's that way with all of their games. They want to be able to kill the online when they feel it is in their best interest. Madden 10 out? Kill the 09 servers. If they were like most of the XBL publishers/devs they'd not have to worry about their online once up, but EA wants to have their hands in all the cookie jars.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    the exact same service that other console owners are getting
    I used to work with a guy who had both a 360 and a PS3. He *never* played games online with his PS3 because it was just so much easier to connect with friends on XBL.

I'm curious as to other experiences by those who own both consoles - anybody? Was my buddy blowing smoke, or was their some merit to that criticism? I'm not interested if you own only one of the two (not that it'll stop people from posting anyway...)
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    It's obvious. One system is pay to play while the other is free. Like I said in another thread. With multi platform online, Microsoft wouldn't any reasoning to give as to why their consumers are paying $50 a year for the exact same service that other console owners are getting for free.
    Golden rule about MS. If you CAN pay for it, you WILL pay for it. Free is a taboo word to Microsoft. If you even mention open source around them, kittens will die.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Even though I no longer own a 360 I still play GTA4 and Street Fighter 4 on a regular basis online(whenever at a friends atleast.) These are also games I play on a regular basis at my own house. I see no difference in quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    Actually its how EA wants to control things on their end. You realize that there were no Live enabled sports games on XBL for a few years right? EA demanded extra controls (controls that only Bungie has on XBLA) and the ability to run everything from their own servers so they could shut things down as they wanted. Also so they they could force track you in using your own login on top of your XBLA profile login. It's that way with all of their games. They want to be able to kill the online when they feel it is in their best interest. Madden 10 out? Kill the 09 servers. If they were like most of the XBL publishers/devs they'd not have to worry about their online once up, but EA wants to have their hands in all the cookie jars.
    Excellent point, Stu, but you forgot why EA wants to control online, and when to cut off online play: to force online players to buy the newest version of their sports games.
    Webmaster of the Cartoon Review Website!
    http://www.cartoonreviewsite.com

My sale thread

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettCRW View Post
    Excellent point, Stu, but you forgot why EA wants to control online, and when to cut off online play: to force online players to buy the newest version of their sports games.
    No I didn't silly! Bolded ftw. EA has done this with some of their non-sports games as well. BF2 got killed (took them a while) for BF: BC. Bad Company will get the kick in the nuts not too long after BC2 hits. I'd venture that the old NFS games have gotten the online kibosh as well. I had a whole group of friends rushing to get a few online games done a couple months back before the servers were taken down and none of them were sports titles.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    I used to work with a guy who had both a 360 and a PS3. He *never* played games online with his PS3 because it was just so much easier to connect with friends on XBL.

I'm curious as to other experiences by those who own both consoles - anybody? Was my buddy blowing smoke, or was their some merit to that criticism? I'm not interested if you own only one of the two (not that it'll stop people from posting anyway...)
    Almost every gamer I know has a 360, whereas I can only think of a few that have a PS3. So naturally it's "easier to connect" with friends who actually own the system. However, the 360 online experience is a little more comfortable imo. I owned both systems for about 6 months and didn't even bother to connect with friends on the PS3, but like I said, I can only think of two or three of them that actually have one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post

I agree your friend.

Im always on XBL and never online with PS3.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually its how EA wants to control things on their end.
    Wrong. EA has nothing to do with this, and would like people to play cross-platform. Microsoft and Sony will not allow it so it doesn't happen. There's no technological reason why it doesn't happen, it's a business decision by the console makers.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BydoEmpire View Post
    Wrong. EA has nothing to do with this, and would like people to play cross-platform. Microsoft and Sony will not allow it so it doesn't happen. There's no technological reason why it doesn't happen, it's a business decision by the console makers.
    Agreed.

Well, there may be some technological issues... like microsoft will never give up the encryption key for xbox live traffic.

Both networks are encrypted. If they were to open up to each other, they're allowing their biggest competitors high level access to disrupt each other's network. Imagine the first time Microsoft does a dashboard update and some PS3 games stop working.

Back to the encryption, very very very very few people inside Microsoft have that encryption key. They didn't even give it to EA when they setup their servers. If that key is ever made public, Xbox Live will be destroyed beyond any hope of repair. There's no way they're giving that key to Sony.

Off topic: Bydo, feel like selling that white xbox of yours to me?

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Back to the encryption, very very very very few people inside Microsoft have that encryption key. They didn't even give it to EA when they setup their servers. If that key is ever made public, Xbox Live will be destroyed beyond any hope of repair.
    I smell a James Bond movie.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Um.

Is there anybody that genuinely expects two or more competing console companies to do ANYTHING across platforms much less make their online networks compatible?

...actually, you can log into www.xbox.com on the PS3's web browser and read/send XBL messages.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This sounds like a Pipe Dream I had.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BydoEmpire View Post
    I thought it was just Microsoft. IIRC, Criterion stated that the reason they couldn't have cross-platform play with Burnout Paradise was entirely because Microsoft wouldn't allow it.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I thought it was just Microsoft. IIRC, Criterion stated that the reason they couldn't have cross-platform play with Burnout Paradise was entirely because Microsoft wouldn't allow it.
    That could be, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce
    Off topic: Bydo, feel like selling that white xbox of yours to me?
    Mmmm, nah, it looks too nice snuggled up next to the Wii & 360. ;-)
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

The real question is why not have 360-PC linked games be more common. There is what, one?

Obviously PC players will have an advantage with controls*, but it could at least be an option...

*mostly talking about FPS games here, RTS too. Some games would be a lot easier to control on 360 too I'm sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Like I said. Microsoft won't have an excuse when people ask why they have to pay to play the exact same game PS3 users can play online for free.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    The real question is why not have 360-PC linked games be more common. There is what, one?

Obviously PC players will have an advantage with controls*, but it could at least be an option...

*mostly talking about FPS games here, RTS too. Some games would be a lot easier to control on 360 too I'm sure.
    Wish they would, high time we showed em the true error of putting fps on console :P