Thread: Trying to remember 2 computer games (Solved)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Trying to remember 2 computer games (Solved)

There were these 2 games I played as a kid in the early 90s. I have tried several ways to find the names of these games over the last few years with no luck so I thought this might be a good place to ask.

Game 1: The first game my friends and I used to play on a macintosh at school during breaks. IRC it was in black and white and it was an overhead action adventure somewhat like the zelda games. The most distinct thing I remember about it was that you started out the game right belows this castle. We would always go in the castle and there were guards walking around and we would go find this treasure room where it was full of chests of gold. As soon as you started to take the gold the guards would attack you on sight. We would take all the gold and try to get out of the castle alive where the guards wouldn't follow you. On the outside I remember there were giant spiders and such that could poison you, and there were small shops where you could be armor and weapons such as flails. Anyone help me out with this one? The room with the gold sounds like a giveaway if anyone has played it before.

Game 2: This game I used to play on my parents Windows 3.1 PC. It was 2-player where you played at the same time using the same keyboard. There where these 5 or 6 horizontal tracks and one player was on the left and the other on the right. Each player had a few different items to select from and the goal was to send these items from your side to the other players side and the first person to get a certain amount would win. The items where things like a bulldozer, a boxing kangaroo, and a gloved hand that looked like Thing with the hamburger helper glove on. It worked like a rock, paper, scissors when it came to determining what would happen if your item met your opponents item on the same track, each item could beat, and be beaten by at least 1 other item. Anyone have ideas?

Thanks for anytime you spend trying to help me remember these games. It's been driving me crazy for years everytime I try to remember the names and find them.
    Last edited by nmv; 08-31-2009 at 12:55 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Snumedahl11

No guess on the second, but maybe Temple of Apshai for the 1st?

Oh crap, just re-read it and you said black and white. Whoops.

Maybe Castle Wolfenstein?
    Last edited by snume; 08-28-2009 at 10:55 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snume View Post
    No guess on the second, but maybe Temple of Apshai for the 1st?

Oh crap, just re-read it and you said black and white. Whoops.

Maybe Castle Wolfenstein?
    No, it was neither of those games. It was black/white or monochrome, dont know if it was the game or just the monitors. I would lean towards the game because object had alot less detail than those games you mentioned. Like buildings and people just being outlines without much detail.

As for game 2 I think it was possibly shareware, we always played the limited demo edition as much as we wanted, but it always was asking to upgrade to full edition. As an example of how it played... Say your on the left sending objects to your right. You could pick the track you wanted to send your object down and do so. Say your opponent sent a bulldozer towards you (powerful but slow) you could send your boxing kangaroo(quicker, less powerful) in response. If you only send one the bulldozer will slow but keep comming, but if you send 2 or 3 kangaroos for their one bulldozer then they will start pushing your opponents bulldozer back towards his side.

If I recall correctly, they had wind up keys on their backs, thats why the hands were good. They were really fast and they would attach themselves to the wind up key on your opponents object and start messing with it.

Thanks again to anyone who has some input.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nmv View Post

Game 2: This game I used to play on my parents Windows 3.1 PC. It was 2-player where you played at the same time using the same keyboard. There where these 5 or 6 horizontal tracks and one player was on the left and the other on the right. Each player had a few different items to select from and the goal was to send these items from your side to the other players side and the first person to get a certain amount would win. The items where things like a bulldozer, a boxing kangaroo, and a gloved hand that looked like Thing with the hamburger helper glove on. It worked like a rock, paper, scissors when it came to determining what would happen if your item met your opponents item on the same track, each item could beat, and be beaten by at least 1 other item. Anyone have ideas?
    Yes.

It would be Gearheads

My mom and dad got it for me back in the day. I still have the CD. It's actually a very fun game.
    Last edited by Ryaan1234; 08-28-2009 at 12:51 PM.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    Yes.

It would be Gearheads

My mom and dad got it for me back in the day. I still have the CD. It's actually a very fun game.
    YES! That's it. Thank you. That takes care of 1 of the games.

Anyone have any ideas about the first game I mentioned? I'm trying to think If I can remember anything else about it.

Thanks again Ryaan1234

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No idea but I'd like to know the first one, sounds fun haha

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nmv View Post
    Game 1: The first game my friends and I used to play on a macintosh at school during breaks. IRC it was in black and white and it was an overhead action adventure somewhat like the zelda games. The most distinct thing I remember about it was that you started out the game right belows this castle. We would always go in the castle and there were guards walking around and we would go find this treasure room where it was full of chests of gold. As soon as you started to take the gold the guards would attack you on sight. We would take all the gold and try to get out of the castle alive where the guards wouldn't follow you. On the outside I remember there were giant spiders and such that could poison you, and there were small shops where you could be armor and weapons such as flails. Anyone help me out with this one? The room with the gold sounds like a giveaway if anyone has played it before.
    I'm not sure what this is. Could you provide some more details? Were you controlling one character or a party? Was it turn-based? You might want to consult this list to see if you recognize anything:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_games

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you can go through all the screenshots of games here and maybe you will recagnize it

http://www.macintoshgarden.org/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    you can go through all the screenshots of games here and maybe you will recagnize it

http://www.macintoshgarden.org/
    Thank you, I followed this link and found it after a bit of searching.

The game I was thinking of was Shadow Keep

Wikipedia had a paragraph about it, but I couldn't find much else. It's not listed at gamefaqs either.

Anyways, thank you everyone for your help.