• metal gear solid 4: guns of the patriots ps3

7 17.07%

Thread: Metal Gear Solid poll:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Metal Gear Solid poll:

what is your favorite metal gear solid game? in terms of graphics, story, characters, plot, gameplay and overall feel. which game is the most complete experience iyo.

i can't speak for for mgs 4 becasue i haven't played it yet. but waht mgs2 did for it's time was quite amazing.... weather effects, cut scenes.just perfect.

but I loved snake eater (never played subsistence) it was so fresh and new. it was set in the 1960's cold war era and the whole survival and cammo system was really cool. damn i need to get mgs3 subsistence!
    Last edited by jonnyutah; 08-29-2009 at 07:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Strawberry (Level 2) Game Freak's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have MGS3: Subsistence and it was what got me into the franchise. I had got the original on the NES and couldn't really get into it, I'd die so quickly. I found out my friend had MGS3 and he didn't even know he had the game, so he let me borrow it pseudo-permanently. I played through the game in like a month and loved every second of it. Great cinematics, great gameplay. GREAT MUSIC! The story was just awesome and I love the historical elements of it (i'm a big fan of American history just not much into modern politics is all)

I recently bought MGS2, havne't started it yet.

Strawberry (Level 2) sebastiankirchoff's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    NoSleepTillMnhtn
    Steam
    laserdiscfan

MGS1 was a great experience for me. Great storyline, good (but sometimes hilarious) voice acting, lots of action and kept me entertained the whole time. One of the greatest games ever.

MGS2 was dissapointing, though it looked great and had plenty of action. It just didn't have the "feel" of the first one, probably because you had to play as Raiden throughout most of the game.

MGS3 was great, and I loved the variety of food and the treating of wounds. It blew me away the first time I played, and I still play it every once in a while because of how great it is.

I haven't played MGS4 yet since I don't own a PS3, but it looks great.

And I am not sure if it counts, but I enjoyed Ac!d alot, even though a lot of people said it sucked.
    500th Post! December ?, 2010

Movies in Theatres I Have Last Seen
    Fair Game: 4/5
    Fighter, The: 4.5/5
    Tamara Drewe: 4/5

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Technically the winner isn't even on the list. However I voted for MGS3S for the PS3.

Sarcasm because the game is actually on the PS2.

Anyways. MGS3S, just like every other MGS has crappy gameplay where you have to wait three hours and 37 minutes before you can advance forward to the next screen. Not only that but they add the amazing part where you have to walk 17 days straight through the river of sorrow because you killed 4,537,032.4 enemies to get to the end just so you can revive yourself.

However. One good thing about MGS3 and MGS3S. The storyline. The entire reason I played through that crappy game is because it had one of the best storylines ever in a video game. I don't give a crap about Metal Gear and I loved the storyline. Ocelot was my favorite character though he's a favorite of most peoples(not sure if he was as awesome in the first game.)

So yeah. I actually only played up to the first boss on the first game(which was actually Ocelot where he got his arm cut off.) I really didn't like it. I played halfway through the second to where I killed the one woman, and I hated that one and all of Raiden's bitching like a little pussy girl every two seconds. Then I forced myself to play MGS3 just to finish the story which was well worth it. The bonus to watch the videos over again and blooper videos were nice as well.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Why are you lumping Metal Gear Solid with The Twin Snakes? They're not the same game. I actually dislike Twin Snakes because of all the changes they made to the original game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

psx/ngc... you were throwing me for a loop there. I was like Neo Geo Color, that doesn't even make sense... then I realized you were going for Gamecube. GCN is the official abbreviation.

I also find it funny that you lump twin snakes and the original together when you ask us to compare the two based on "graphics, story, characters, plot, gameplay and overall feel" when 5/6 of those are different between the two versions.

Don't worry, I'm just giving you a hard time. I voted for the original, but all of them I've played more than once. A fairly rare occurrence in my gaming habits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i see mgs is getting some love.

i'm into histroy too. but i like modern and historical politics aswell. mgs 1 and 2 were very simular but 3? you go back to the 60's where you are forced to use old 60/70's era weapons and gadgets. also much of the mgs histroy is visited in snake eater.

I think i'll pick up mgs3 subsistencewith mgs4 when i get ps3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

. sorry about the typo (mgs3ps2) ok maybe i should have left twin snakes out. i added it for those that have only played the gamecube version of metal gear solid.

surprised to see no one voting for mgs4
    Last edited by jonnyutah; 08-30-2009 at 12:13 AM. Reason: spelling

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Why are you lumping Metal Gear Solid with The Twin Snakes? They're not the same game. I actually dislike Twin Snakes because of all the changes they made to the original game.
    Thank you for saying what I wanted to say! I despise TTS but loved the original MGS (love it even more when I play it on my PS2 with smoothing option on!) I gate it for all the reasons you stated and also I felt the GC could do better than that in terms of graphics (the characters faces were so...ick)..

As for all the MG's, I love MGS 1, MGS 2 was ok but too convoluted for its own good, loved MGS3 and thought that MGS4 was pretty good. Graphically wonderful but storyline was a little rushed to me and a little bit too much of "Aww, c'mon, are you serious?!?"...
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidPolicenaut View Post
    Thank you for saying what I wanted to say! I despise TTS but loved the original MGS (love it even more when I play it on my PS2 with smoothing option on!) I gate it for all the reasons you stated and also I felt the GC could do better than that in terms of graphics (the characters faces were so...ick)..

As for all the MG's, I love MGS 1, MGS 2 was ok but too convoluted for its own good, loved MGS3 and thought that MGS4 was pretty good. Graphically wonderful but storyline was a little rushed to me and a little bit too much of "Aww, c'mon, are you serious?!?"...
    Yeah, the faces in Twin Snakes look too much like rubber masks.

I love MGS1 and MGS2:S, own Twin Snakes but have problems with the new control scheme (and the changed voice acting / dialogue), I also own MGS3:S... but it requires much more patience than I have, so I've never gotten very far before getting bored and frustrated with it. I know it's not a bad game, but I can't handle it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know what this says about MGS4, but one of my favorite parts of that game was when you get to play the first part of MGS1. I was not expecting it, and it filled me with gooey nostalgia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

You might want to come up with a different, more descriptive title.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hey snapple,thanks for the spoiler i had no idea the original metal gear was in mgs4. i do now.

what is the deal with the red mgs3 subsistence limited edition box? i only found a few online and the cheapest one was $98 used. new is $299!?! WTF!? why so expensive? that is a collector for suuuurreee!! I have to say this red box sure sparked my interest in mgs3 again. even though i beat the game.

you guys sure are fans of the original. it was good. sons of liberty was good too. and quite a jump technically but snake eater added a totally new concept and originality. fresh new bosses, except young ocelot. and one boss ripped right out of ninja scroll but it just had a new fresh feel to it. like they really wanted to do something new instead of just make a ok sequel.

the thing about mgs4, and no i haven't played it, is the guns and weapons. now you can attain new weapons by instantly buying? Oh YUCK!! >.<konami didn't pull a resident evil 5 with mgs4 did they? what i mean by that is abandoning the stealth system in favour of a action, run and gun shooter???
    Last edited by jonnyutah; 08-31-2009 at 01:23 AM. Reason: added a sentence

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PaleSonicakuma

i was all over the twin snakes it pushed my gamecube to its limit
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SPpuIBw6lkg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SPpuIBw6lkg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    read sonic doom everyday on my myspace profile

Strawberry (Level 2) Game Freak's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    The bonus to watch the videos over again and blooper videos were nice as well.
    wait, bloopers? where can i find those?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My favorite is the PSX Metal Gear. So many great things were in that game (reading your memory card, had to change to the second controller slot) but it looks like shit now.

Pretzel (Level 4) LiquidPolicenaut's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    LiquidSnake2047

Quote Originally Posted by Game Freak View Post
    wait, bloopers? where can i find those?
    I have the parody videos uploaded to my YouTube page. Man, I love those parody videos lol..

Metal Gear Solid Parody Videos Playlist
    Mika: Where are you taking me, Gillian?
    Gillian: To look at videos on YouTube...
    Mika: *sigh* No more videos of a drunk Harry dancing with a dead Snatcher...
    Giliian: Nope, it's better...Its LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos!
    Gillian: And after that, you should also visit
    The Policenauts Paradise and Snatcher Shrine

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Maybe they're only on MGS3S and not the original MGS3?
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a huge Metal Gear Solid fan, been playing since the NES days. The Metal Gear games for the NES were great games for their day, but Metal Gear Solid was when I felt the series really took off. Metal Gear Solid was a stellar game from every angle. The thing I wish you could have done in the PS version was shoot in first person view, luckily the Twin Snakes fixed this!

MGS2 was another stellar game that addressed the above complaint. The only minus for this game was the story just got really confusing and just trailed off with all of this shit that really had nothing to do with the game. The fact that you didn't play as Snake for the latter half of the game didn't matter to me, it was still one of the best games I've played and I don't know why people still bitch to this day about playing as Raiden?!

MGS3 was a little better than MGS2, mostly because it was more challenging. You didn't have the radar this time around and the boss fights were some of the most challenging and unique that I've ever played. The story, although still long, was more concise and easier to follow as well. Just as a side note, I noticed there was no mention of Portable Ops, a full fledged Metal Gear adventure that isn't a watered down version at all just because it's a handheld game.

Although the original MGS will always go down as one of my top 5 all time favorites, for me MGS4 is as close as you can get to video game perfection. The most photo realistic graphics to this day, spot on controls, top notch audio, engaging storyline, kick ass boss fights, and great online features, what more can you ask for!?
    Last edited by duffmanth; 08-31-2009 at 01:54 PM.