Thread: Console Variations: Most and Least

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    11) Dreamcasts with Mil-CD/Dreamcasts without Mil-CD.

19) Wonderswan, Wonderswan Color, not sure what else.
    The Dreamcast also had Divers 2000 which I believe had some hardware modifications in it, tho I'm not certain (it could just be the guts of a regular Dreamcast in a different casing w/ a screen and etc).

WonderSwan also had the Swan Crystal. But should we even be including handhelds as "consoles"?
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

It's gotta be the Genesis, the Genesis has at least 10-15 different variations of hardware design.

And can the platinum Gamecube put out S-Video? I have an S-video cable that can work with Wii, SNES and N64 as well from Pelican.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

I think that color variations and outside visual changes that dont involve drastic hardware operation or physical size changes should not count as variations.
    DERP

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    I don't think that the Atari 5200, 7800 or Jag ever had a hardware revision but someone more steeped in Atari knowledge would probably correct me.
    I think they changed something in the 5200 because of problems with the switch box/power cord thingy. Also, didn't the 5200 have and lose compartments for joysticks, or am I thinking of a different system?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    I think that color variations and outside visual changes that dont involve drastic hardware operation or physical size changes should not count as variations.
    I would say the opposite...to me a system with two different casings is more "different" than say, two "variations" of the PlayStation that have different CD speeds. But I think both should be valid for the purposes of this thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    I would say the opposite...to me a system with two different casings is more "different" than say, two "variations" of the PlayStation that have different CD speeds. But I think both should be valid for the purposes of this thread.
    Those PlayStation variations arent very major though. From eye, its not really easy to tell if one PS plays at a different cd speed. Unlike something with the Genesis where the console was primarily redesigned 2 times.
    DERP

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    I don't think that the Atari 5200, 7800 or Jag ever had a hardware revision but someone more steeped in Atari knowledge would probably correct me.
    I think they changed something in the 5200 because of problems with the switch box/power cord thingy. Also, didn't the 5200 have and lose compartments for joysticks, or am I thinking of a different system?

You're absolutely right, I forgot about the fact that there were 4 and 2 control port models of the 5200
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Least revisions: the Wii.

In Japan a black model was released but that had nothing to do with a hardware revision. As far as I can tell, the Wii has the exact same engine in it that it had when it launched in November '06.
    Actually, I've been told that newer ones have been shipped with a BIOS that makes it harder to install homebrew on. Something different than these Menu Updates we keep getting.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PS2 had 19 revisions, that's always fun. Xbox had 7. 360 has 6. PS3 has.... a lot, but less then 19

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf47 View Post
    Actually, I've been told that newer ones have been shipped with a BIOS that makes it harder to install homebrew on. Something different than these Menu Updates we keep getting.
    The Wii has definitely gone thru a few chipset changes (at least partially to combat modchip installs) but AFAIK you can never really know without cracking the thing open. Pretty sure none of these changes affected functionality otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I guess what I had in mind originally was physically different models of the same console. Like for the Wii, I would say there is only one model, even though internally they have made different motherboard versions to make installing mod chips more difficult.

Also I guess there was:

Atari Heavy 6
    Atari 6 Switch
    Atari 4 Switch
    Atari Vader
    Atari Jr.

I know there are a couple of juniors (short label, long label).

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Least revisions: the Wii.

In Japan a black model was released but that had nothing to do with a hardware revision. As far as I can tell, the Wii has the exact same engine in it that it had when it launched in November '09.

I better pre-order a Wii pronto. I have a feeling that it will sell really well, call me crazy.

EDIT: Opp, you got it while I was replying... Why must you ruin my fun!?

That certainly narrows things down... but what about the trivial physical HW changes that were special cases (such as the Pikachu N64)?
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 09-01-2009 at 12:26 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Emerson Arcadia number one spot, closely followed by Genesis/Megadrive so far.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    Like for the Wii, I would say there is only one model, even though internally they have made different motherboard versions to make installing mod chips more difficult.
    I think there's a black one out there too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are at least two different Vectrex models.
    Hmm? There's version from three different regions (GCE, MB, and Bandai) but I don't think that counts as a different model.

Super Cassette Vision only has one model, and no regional variants. There's plenty of obscure consoles like that (Supervision 8000, PC-FX, Visicom)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If we try to document different casings (where the internals might not otherwise be different), this would actually be a fairly daunting task. We haven't even gotten around to all the actual hardware changes yet (I didn't get to bring up Famicom Box, Super Famicom Box, for example), and there's potentially thousands of different "Special edition" casings, mostly limited, with limited releases, etc.

I mean, we have Pikachu N64, Char Gamecube, a bunch of Limited edition Saturns including the Sonic one (and on that note I nearly forgot the Hi-Saturn, which I think is an actual hardware revision), Dreamcasts ranging from the mostly-common "Sports" Dreamcasts to the rumored "Gold" Dreamcasts which were the very last ones produced and went straight to employees, Halo-edition Xbox 360s, a MESSLOAD of LE Game Boys with themes ranging from Pokemon to Hello Kitty, and God knows what else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With the new consoles every development team that makes a new game makes 1,2, or 3 vey limeted Xbox 360/PS3's.

And the system with the most has to be the Gameboy. Theres like 1000 diferent colors of like 8 different Gameboys.
    In yo face!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How many did the Master System have, including all regions?
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Epoch Cassettevision had four:
    Cassettevision, Super Cassettevision, Cassettevision Jr., Cassettevision Lady's Set (pink, with carrying case)
    Last edited by tom; 09-01-2009 at 05:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well the Gamecube supposedly had another that flew a little bit under the radar. Well at least I think it did. I remember reading a forum post, coincidently in a topic about the Xbox's many variations of disc drives, that the older Game Cubes had to wait a little bit longer to be turned back on after being turned off than newer Game Cubes. I never tested this, so I have no idea if this is true or not. I don't really know why I would do that unless my reset button broke...

As I mentioned, the Xbox had 3 different DVD drives and all of them were sold at the exact same time! The only way to tell the difference between them was to look at the DVD drive while it was open. There also was that problem where Xboxs made between certain dates could set carpet fires, but I have no idea if that was because of a console revision or a manufacturing error. I just remember that weird plug that they sent out later on.

But yeah, I think it is impossible to tell how many times a console has been modified because it is possible that consoles had slight differences depending on where they were made. As a classic example, at one point I had two model two Saturns. There internal guts looked a bit different probably due to the time or place where they were manufactured. A more recent example is the original Nintendo DS. They were being manufactured in a few different countries and the touch screens differed depending on where they were manufactured. Well at least at launch they did, not sure if that changed as production went on.
    I have a sig?