Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Default Lunar Silver Star Story (PS)

If I look up "Lunar Silver Star Story" in the DP Guide (the 'in progress' pdf), I see two entries. What's the difference between the "Complete" version and the other version?

I just bought the "Complete" version, and it has the same CDs listed under the other version (Making Of, Soundtrack), so I was wondering what's so complete about this version. Unfortunately I didn't get the instructions with it so maybe that's where the difference lies? It was pricey but since I never see it and I've heard good things I bit the bullet.

A quick look on the web didn't produce anything - so any info will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The "Complete" Versions are the PSX ones the rest are for Sega CD and Saturn.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Quazick
    The "Complete" Versions are the PSX ones the rest are for Sega CD and Saturn.
    No, I think he's referring to the two entries on our Rarity List:
    http://www.digitpress.com/lists/playstation.pdf

Kris (Queen of Felines) should be along with an answer for you, I'll make sure that answer is documented in the database for the next release of this list.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The original, "complete", had the making of cd's, a cloth map, and a book that came with it. If I remember correctly, they rereleased this game recently, and it may not have come with all that stuff. It's just a guess, but maybe the rerelease isn't called "complete".

-Hitman-

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes they stopped making the complete version on Jan 1st of 2000 I think.Then last fall,maybe even before,they rereleased it as just the game with none of the extras.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The recentish rerelease ditches all the useless extras AND has the most hideous RPG disc art ever, supplied by a fan. A malevolent, talentless fan.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never seen the non-complete version. Anybody know what the run is on that set?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Umm..

There is no "non-complete" PSX version...

There was a FAN edition according to the Working Design website but it was still titled as COMPLETE.

The complete doesn't refer to the maps and stuff.

http://workingdesigns.com/museum/pla...ssc/index.html

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BenT
    The recentish rerelease ditches all the useless extras AND has the most hideous RPG disc art ever, supplied by a fan. A malevolent, talentless fan.
    Anyone got a pic or a scan of this hideous work of art then?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    Someone doesn't like to click links...

From the link I posted..

"The Fan Art Edition has special art, that was designed especially for this release, by one of our frequent contributors. You can see all of the disc art here."

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It isn't hideous but it isn't too good either.

But I couldn't do better.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Not bad..looks like something created in an art class though...
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Six Switch
    It isn't hideous but it isn't too good either.

But I couldn't do better.
    No, it's hideous. While the Fan Edition re-release went down after I'd already left, I was appalled that Victor, who had once claimed that Lunar: SSSC would never be re-released (remember the infamous ads in which he referred to eBay?), was so desperate for cash that he would crank out a quick-and-dirty cash-in. The "fan art" was Victor's transparent attempt to pretend he still cares about the fans, as there were literally dozens of wonderful illustrations from Lunar's developers at Game Arts that could have been used. Why didn't he throw out the translated text and replace it with fan fiction or an RPGamer script while he was at it?

The only good thing about the Fan Edition was that the omitted making-of video meant no one else would have to suffer through my retarded cameo appearance at the end.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Look at Jessica's face on the second disc... *shudder*

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not really sure who the "Fan Edition" was aimed for when it was released. Who was the target audience? The fans of the Lunar series, such as myself, bought their copy of the game when it was initially released. We got all the extras, like the map (if you put it up to your nose and take a deep breath, you get a high!) and the hard-cover manual (say what you will, that thing is nice). Why would we buy another copy of the game with fan art on it? I'll be the first to admit that I probably couldn't have done better art, and I'm a friggin artist. But seriously, the original Game Arts illustration are incredibly captivating. It would have been great to see those instead of glorifying some fan.

And with that, I'd imagine the fan art version has more rarity, upon speculation that less of them were sold.

Zach - it may just be me interpreting this wrong, but you sound a little jaded about the whole thing. Was it just not agreeing with the principle of the re-release, or as it something else? Damnit, I left my "making of" CD at home...

My Complete Collection - Currently expanding my PS2 collection by buying up every five dollar game I see

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Needle
    I'm not really sure who the "Fan Edition" was aimed for when it was released. Who was the target audience? The fans of the Lunar series, such as myself, bought their copy of the game when it was initially released. We got all the extras, like the map (if you put it up to your nose and take a deep breath, you get a high!) and the hard-cover manual (say what you will, that thing is nice). Why would we buy another copy of the game with fan art on it? I'll be the first to admit that I probably couldn't have done better art, and I'm a friggin artist. But seriously, the original Game Arts illustration are incredibly captivating. It would have been great to see those instead of glorifying some fan.
    The Fan Edition was born to cheaply fulfill the mild retail demand for Lunar: SSSC that continued well after the original edition had sold out. It certainly wasn't for the fans, despite that misleading title.

Zach - it may just be me interpreting this wrong, but you sound a little jaded about the whole thing. Was it just not agreeing with the principle of the re-release, or as it something else? Damnit, I left my "making of" CD at home...
    A little jaded? Heh. I poured my heart and soul into the PS localizations of Lunar, so I was thoroughly dismayed to see Victor tarnish the Lunar legacy with the money grab of the Fan Edition. There was no principle behind it, other than making a quick buck -- which is fine, except that Victor had already advertised his proclamation that the game would never be released again.

My overall jadedness is an unfortunate but inevitable result of writing about the game industry for well over a decade, a defense mechanism to protect myself against ceaseless hype and shameless marketing ploys. That's what attracted me to the DP forum to begin with -- the purity of the classic-gaming scene, and the collectors and homebrewers who do it for the love. There's not much love in the modern gaming era, let me tell ya.

-- Z.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It really is unfortunate that the game was rereleased after the original proclamations stated it would not be produced anymore. I'm still having trouble believing that, in this day and age, months after the initial release of the game, there was still even *mild* demand. The modern gaming industry seems to move a lot faster than it did in the eighties. I still can't believe that many of these "fan edition" discs were sold, and that really makes me wonder how much profit was made by Working Designs in the process.

There really is a negative shint on the whole thing from every angle.

These days the company seems to be making less announcements and releasing less completed games than in past years (and, as an effect, finally sparing us ludicrous release dates!). Even Victor has gotten very quiet with the fans who hang out at the forum at their website. It really makes me believe something is up.

A little jaded? Heh. I poured my heart and soul into the PS localizations of Lunar, so I was thoroughly dismayed to see Victor tarnish the Lunar legacy with the money grab of the Fan Edition. There was no principle behind it, other than making a quick buck -- which is fine, except that Victor had already advertised his proclamation that the game would never be released again.
    In any event, your writing on the PS port of Lunar is nothing short of inspiring, and despite all the jaded feelings, I'm damned happy you worked on it. Let's not let the rerelease spoil what is, essentially, a fantastic game!

My Complete Collection - Currently expanding my PS2 collection by buying up every five dollar game I see

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Needle, while a lot of what you are saying is true, Many games consistently sell. For example, on the Nintendo 64, Mario64, Zelda: OoT, and Goldeneye were selling brand new and at full price for years, and then as greatest hits titles. I'm sure this holds true for Sony too, but I know for a fact that Many of Nintendo's first party stuff sells for years after release. Lunar is a game that I can see having a lasting demand for, as word of mouth gets around for the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's strange that WD didn't pick some of the better fan art from their site for the CD covers. This is far nicer than the illustrations they went with, and so is this one, even if it makes Luna look like she's got a double chin.

And zmeston, you must realize that one day you'll have to tell us about your sordid falling-out with Working Designs. Or at least include it in your memoirs.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.