Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by zmeston
    The only good thing about the Fan Edition was that the omitted making-of video meant no one else would have to suffer through my retarded cameo appearance at the end.
    This confuses me somewhat. Thanks to the links I've determined that I have "Set 3" of the Fan Art edition. But I *do* have the Making of Video (and Soundtrack) as well. Did they release some of the Fan Art edition with the video and some without? Or am I missing something here.
    Heh, misunderstanding. On that page, the first 4 disc sets are the original release disc arts (there were 4 variations, blast you WD, I must have all!) and only the final one is the disc art for the Fan edition. You have the original release, but without the bigass leatherbound instruction manual or the spiffy box (Which has 100x better art than the CD case).

EDIT: Errr, Zach, have any idea if that poster offer from the back of the SSSC Guide is still any good?

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, I had forgotten how awesome Alundra was. Never did beat it though. Some of those puzzles are HARD. I never tried Alundra 2, though. Is that one any good?

And I always wondered how a surfer-dude dialect could be done in Japanese.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy
    The only good thing about the Fan Edition was that the omitted making-of video meant no one else would have to suffer through my retarded cameo appearance at the end.
    This confuses me somewhat. Thanks to the links I've determined that I have "Set 3" of the Fan Art edition. But I *do* have the Making of Video (and Soundtrack) as well. Did they release some of the Fan Art edition with the video and some without? Or am I missing something here.
    Heh, misunderstanding. On that page, the first 4 disc sets are the original release disc arts (there were 4 variations, blast you WD, I must have all!) and only the final one is the disc art for the Fan edition. You have the original release, but without the bigass leatherbound instruction manual or the spiffy box (Which has 100x better art than the CD case).

EDIT: Errr, Zach, have any idea if that poster offer from the back of the SSSC Guide is still any good?
    WD instituted expiration dates on guide/poster offers from Vanguard Bandits onward, but there isn't one for SSSC, so you should be able to get a poster on a technicality. Best to shoot WD an email first, though, and make sure it still has posters left.

-- Z.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dahne
    Man, I had forgotten how awesome Alundra was. Never did beat it though. Some of those puzzles are HARD. I never tried Alundra 2, though. Is that one any good?

And I always wondered how a surfer-dude dialect could be done in Japanese.
    Alundra is one of the ten hardest PS1 games ever made, and we got SO many customer-service calls that I had the strategy guide memorized.

Alundra 2 was from a different developer, and has nothing to do with the original game, and uses wretched 3D graphics instead of sweet 2D graphics. WD willingly passed on it, due to its suckitude. Activision had the cojones to call up WD and ask for help in co-promoting Alundra 2, but Victor shot 'em down.

Incidentally, Atlus' Dual Hearts plays much closer to Alundra (although easier), and it's from the same developers.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alundra 2 is almost universally considered to be ass. Which is why my copy is still shrinkwrapped.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, so that's why I never heard much about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    Not bad..looks like something created in an art class though...

At least it looks better than the Final Fantasy Origins artwork.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm on-screen for about five seconds, and I believe my name pops up in the corner. I don't recall what I said, or if I said anything, but it wasn't much. I get much more screen time on the Lunar 2 making-of CD, where my wretched voice and bare face (thank God I've since grown a goatee -- women and children don't burst into tears at the sight of me anymore) can inflict massive pain upon RPG fans. Watch for my retarded fictional example of Japanese jokes that don't translate into English, and my mispronounciation of Lucia's name as "Lu-CHI-a."

-- Z.
    "PICKLE? I thought you said BASEBALL BAT!"

However, my favorite quote comes when you declare that "Lucia's naked at the beginning, and that's everyone's favorite part, especially Victor's," and then add "I could get fired for that."

By the way, that Asian lass from the Arc the Lad "Making of" CD is kinda cute. Does she still work for the company?

And it's interesting to learn of WD's woes, but I wonder how well Atlus is doing. Their last game to get any real attention in the press was 1999's Thousand Arms, and a lot of their stuff tends to see very quiet releases. While I suppose they could get by on account of their low print runs, variety of titles, and parent-company support, it's easy to imagine the USA branch ending up in the same rough waters as Victor and his crew.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Fenris
    I'm on-screen for about five seconds, and I believe my name pops up in the corner. I don't recall what I said, or if I said anything, but it wasn't much. I get much more screen time on the Lunar 2 making-of CD, where my wretched voice and bare face (thank God I've since grown a goatee -- women and children don't burst into tears at the sight of me anymore) can inflict massive pain upon RPG fans. Watch for my retarded fictional example of Japanese jokes that don't translate into English, and my mispronounciation of Lucia's name as "Lu-CHI-a."

-- Z.
    "PICKLE? I thought you said BASEBALL BAT!"

However, my favorite quote comes when you declare that "Lucia's naked at the beginning, and that's everyone's favorite part, especially Victor's," and then add "I could get fired for that."

By the way, that Asian lass from the Arc the Lad "Making of" CD is kinda cute. Does she still work for the company?

And it's interesting to learn of WD's woes, but I wonder how well Atlus is doing. Their last game to get any real attention in the press was 1999's Thousand Arms, and a lot of their stuff tends to see very quiet releases. While I suppose they could get by on account of their low print runs, variety of titles, and parent-company support, it's easy to imagine the USA branch ending up in the same rough waters as Victor and his crew.
    I'm not sure if the Asian lass (who was hired just a few weeks before my departure -- I don't even remember her name) is still there, but I'm guessing not, since WD canned its PR guy way back, and she would have even less to do than he would.

Atlus's parent-company support is a huge factor; the Japanese side makes major bucks from redemption coin-ops, so the U.S. branch is very comfortable with its low profile and modest sales. Atlus also has a solid relationship with Sony Music (the Japanese developers behind Dual Hearts and SkyGunner), whereas all of WD's former partnerships (Game Arts, Treasure, Human) have gone away. Just the fact that Victor is now taking Atlus's leftovers indicates how mightily WD is struggling.

-- Z.

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

So, speaking of the alundra strat guide, anyone have a WD Strat guide they want to part with? =P

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by hezeuschrist
    Hijacked or not, my question is finally cleared up. I guess I read that website wrong - thanks hezeuschrist (that's fun to say... ).

Since the thread is mutating (and I like conversations that mutate) I'll take a second to defend translators. It doesn't matter if you're translating games or novels or movies, you'll never get the nuances of one language to read and sound exactly the same in another. If you have a problem with translations stop blaming the translators and learn the original language! Fanboys going on about RPG translations annoy me.

As for the game itself: I think I can see why Captain Wrong, the RPG hater, enjoys it (even though I've only just gotten the Dragon Ring and am about to exchange it for the Dragon Sh.. I mean the Dragon Diamond (supposedly)). I wish more RPGs were like this - I can try to avoid the monster encounters if I want to and I think I just generally like the action style better than the "Final Fantasy" style. Tricking those beasts into smashing the ice is damn clever. Maybe I'll *finish* an RPG for a change...
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

heh, good job. "Lu-Chi-Ah". Although honestly, I was expecting a scary 600-lb. Jabba the Hut monstrocity when you described yourself. Which, you aren't. I was dissapointed, dammit. Entropy in humankind is fun.

Heh. Now I wonder if it was you or Victor responsible for the famous Condom line in MKR. At least you had Umi say it...

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG
    heh, good job. "Lu-Chi-Ah". Although honestly, I was expecting a scary 600-lb. Jabba the Hut monstrocity when you described yourself. Which, you aren't. I was dissapointed, dammit. Entropy in humankind is fun.

Heh. Now I wonder if it was you or Victor responsible for the famous Condom line in MKR. At least you had Umi say it...

-AG
    Well, I've put on about 10-15 pounds since my WD days, which I'm working feverishly to drop before CGE. Also, the video crew slapped about a pound of pancake makeup onto my face to add some skin tone and fill in my enormous pores. Looks great on camera, and totally bizarre in real life.

I don't remember ever writing the word "condom" in a WD translation, but it might not necessarily be Victor, either, since a half-dozen people diddled with the text at various points during the localization.

-- Z.