Thread: Retro Gamer for US citizens

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

Is there a place online where you can download a PDF version of an older copy of the magazine? I ask because no place local has it and I want to see what the magazine actually looks like before I drop that kind of money on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    Is there a place online where you can download a PDF version of an older copy of the magazine? I ask because no place local has it and I want to see what the magazine actually looks like before I drop that kind of money on it.
    In my opinion, if you're on this forum then you would enjoy the magazine, but not everyone agrees apparently...

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    You can probably Google up a torrent pretty easily.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I renewed my subscription the other day. I used the code CLASSIC, which lets USA customers have a 13 issue subscription for 50GBP. I am glad this code still worked. This is much cheaper than the regular price of 80GBP.
    Sega Saturn USB DataLink - www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

$77 vs $123 is a pretty steep price cut, good for you (that's current conversion rate on google.com that they're showing.) That's 5.92 an issue, and I think they were like $10/ea when I've seen them at B&N before.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's $12.99 at Barnes & Noble now; I think it is the same everywhere.

I could not find anywhere to enter that coupon code. Would be an awesome deal if I could. Seems it's about $45 more for US customers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I just wanted to thank Gameofyou and reiterate what he said.

I only had 2 issues left and resubscribed using the promo code CLASSIC and it only cost me 50 pounds! A HUGE discount. It's a fantastic magazine filled with excellent information and well researched articles. I coudn't imagine ever letting my subscription lapse.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Here we are again. Another year gone by. Another resub.

I resubscribed this morning and the code CLASSIC still works for those interested. It reduced the price to 50 pounds (around 73 dollars) for 13 issues. This breaks down to about 5.60 per issue. A substantial discount for such an excellent magazine!

I'm starting to sound like a spokesperson so i'll leave it at that!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post

I resubscribed this morning and the code CLASSIC still works for those interested. It reduced the price to 50 pounds (around 73 dollars) for 13 issues. This breaks down to about 5.60 per issue. A substantial discount for such an excellent magazine!

Thanks for the update. I actually stopped my previous 7 year subscription on load 131 although I am contemplating getting another round of 13 down. My issue for stopping is down to space and having 100+ issues takes up quite a bit.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fahlim003 View Post
    Thanks for the update. I actually stopped my previous 7 year subscription on load 131 although I am contemplating getting another round of 13 down. My issue for stopping is down to space and having 100+ issues takes up quite a bit.
    No problem!

I hear ya though. Magazines take up a LOT of space and are HEAVY. A few years back I found a local store that sold magazine boxes and loaded up on them. I have 9 of them in a 3X3 stack filled with Retro Gamer, Nintendo Power, Sega Visions, Strategy Guides etc.

I ran out of boxes a few months back and my local store no longer sold them. I was on a mad hunt and the cheapest I could find was a 5 pack from BCW on Amazon. Shipping on these is killer but fortunately having Prime really paid off. It made it cheaper than anything I could find on Ebay or ordering directly from the supplier. But, yeah, if not for these magazine boxes I would have had to canceled my subscription or started getting rid of my magazines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post

I also just re-subscribed, and used the CLASSIC code to knock the price down to 50 pounds!
    Sega Saturn USB DataLink - www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Just renewed my sub. FYI, neither CLASSIC or the old YOUTUBE promo codes work anymore.

Glad I got my tax refund because the price was 92.88 for a 1 year resub. Breaking it down per month its 7.75 an issue. I can deal with that.

Honestly after all these years of reading the magazine I still find it fantastic.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Was that in GBP? Not bad for the shipping, that sounds like actual cost then for mailing a magazine out to the US.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

The thing that holds me back from subscribing to Retro Gamer is that it is a magazine published by Britons who talk about PAL titles, primarily. PAL games differ in terms of availability, price, their initial success both critical and sales-wise.

I want to read a magazine by Americans because I am an American and I know the culture here, can relate to what the authors are writing, that kind of thing. It seems like a lot of games that were popular in Europe (movies as well) weren't as popular here. Streets of Rage comes to mind. It seems like that game has a bigger following over there. In the early-mid 90's, Street Fighter II was basically the only game that magazines were covering and the only thing people were writing in about. just different culture it seemed like. SFII was basically the Call of Duty of the early 90's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Was that in GBP? Not bad for the shipping, that sounds like actual cost then for mailing a magazine out to the US.
    I forget what it said the GBP was... it came out to $92 dollars a year though. They charged a bit more because of international shipping. Its about 15 or 20 dollars more than i had paid the previous years but breaking it down per issue, for me, its still a great value.

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    The thing that holds me back from subscribing to Retro Gamer is that it is a magazine published by Britons who talk about PAL titles, primarily. PAL games differ in terms of availability, price, their initial success both critical and sales-wise.

I want to read a magazine by Americans because I am an American and I know the culture here, can relate to what the authors are writing, that kind of thing. It seems like a lot of games that were popular in Europe (movies as well) weren't as popular here. Streets of Rage comes to mind. It seems like that game has a bigger following over there. In the early-mid 90's, Street Fighter II was basically the only game that magazines were covering and the only thing people were writing in about. just different culture it seemed like. SFII was basically the Call of Duty of the early 90's.
    This is part of the appeal for me.

I am a huge movie buff. I watch tons of movies and I get quite excited when i discover some old Hollywood gem that I have never seen. However, I watch an equal amount of foreign films as well. I enjoy being transported to another time, another place and experiencing other cultures and their ideas and beliefs through their film.

I grew up in the 80s and early 90s with whats now considered "Retro", so I might have a different outlook than some, but i'm interested in all the classics that I don't know about. I love history, so learning about all the different micros that the Brits did their gaming on really interests me. There were a ridiculous amount of classics that never made their way to the states and learning of the impact those games had on their gaming scene fascinates me, not to mention tracking them down and playing them.

While I would say the magazine certainly has a UK slant, they still cover all the classics that us Americans know with current in depth interviews and well researched articles. Those are my reasons for loving the mag, though I don't expect everyone to get the same enjoyment for the same reasons i do.

Also, i'm sure it all comes down to who you grew up with and when, but Streets of Rage was HUGE with the kids in my town. I remember when Sega released the Model 2 with SOR 2 pack-in and my friend asked for it for his birthday. Weeks went by and every day the hype and anticipation grew among our group of friends. We talked about it as school, designed our own stages on paper taped end to end and were just totally hyped about the game. Finally on the day of his B-Day he got what he had asked for. We hooked it up played for what seemed like hours. Over the next several years there were people at school or at my church that I would discover had a Genesis and one of the games we all had in common (other than Sonic) was Streets of Rage 1 or 2.