Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Just a quick question: why is Retro Gamer now $10 in the US and yet it's still being sold $15 an issue in Canada? Is that due to the Canadian distributor? At this price, I had to make a choice, and I choose IG Magazine, a French bi-monthly mook, but if Retro Gamer were also $10 an issue here, I'd pick it up as well. Considering that the Canadian dollar is actually slightly worth more than the US dollar, at the very least cover price should be identical in both countries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the retro gamer mag but just can't justify the price monthly. Same thing with 3D World and 3D Artist.
    Corey | GameBlurb | www.gameblurb.net

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I use to buy it...but not know more...isnt worth the price, and 10 bucks is still ridiculous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye View Post
    Just a quick question: why is Retro Gamer now $10 in the US and yet it's still being sold $15 an issue in Canada?
    Uggh I don't know. I hate that. I assume there's some hidden taxes or brokerage fees.

Insert Coin (Level 0) timewarpgamer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still love this magazine. Just used the good old YOUTUBE code to resubscribe for 50 pounds, which equals about $78, netting me another 13 issues, which turns out to be exactly $6 per issue. I think that's a great deal, because I can't find any site on the Net that provides such a wealth of great writing and content on retro gaming.
    I run TimeWarpGamer, dedicated to 8/16-bit retro gaming. I'm also on Twitter, which is ideal for following the latest retro updates.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I opted to let my RG subscription lapse.

I'm just going to get the volumes DVD as released and read them on electronic devices.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I've stayed out of this thread until now but I feel like I have to post. I can understand our friends in Canada feeling cheated they have to chip in an extra five bucks over the cost in the USA, I agree, that's complete bullshit. However all the "$10 is too expensive" from everyone else complaining is total crap.

This is a front line magazine, jammed cover to cover with content, minimal ads for a periodical, beautiful layouts, full color and glossy pages, intelligent and humorous writing, detailed information and it's written from a positive yet honest perspective. What that means is it leaves things up to the reader if they'll enjoy a game or not, it doesn't sugar coat things but you can tell there's no negative bias.

When you complain how you don't want to pay $10 for this you make yourself sound like a warez kiddie. If it's something you just don't enjoy reading, fine, but the pittance that is charged for it shouldn't be reason.

What else do you spend $10 a WEEK on? Caffeine? Nicotine? Alcohol? For $120 a year I can support writers and gamers writing about things I enjoy, in a way I enjoy, with a professional presentation. I didn't let myself stumble into RG until issue #75 but since then it's one of the most anticipated things I look forward to every month.

I'd go the subscription route but my letter carrier loves to crush things into my apartment mailbox. That's the reason I quit buying RG at Barnes & Noble, the issues are always beat to shit. Sometimes I get lucky but Fry's always has them in faster than B&N and they're always in pristine shape. Plenty of copies at Fry's as well. They're always torn up at B&N for the same problem as above, no one wants to buy something they use and enjoy, they'd rather sit in the store all day and tear the inventory apart for free. That's why every time I go to buy something at a Barnes & Noble they act shocked since someone wants to actually give them money for the goods they sell.

If you're looking for a way to support the classic side of the industry, this is it.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 10-01-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^ Agreed.
    Sega Saturn USB DataLink - www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You attacked the previous posters, your mail-man, Barnes & Noble, caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol all in a few lines. Yet I agreee with you...except that I have no trouble get good copies from my Barnes & Noble, YMMV I guess.

The other UK publications I have read, GamesTM and Edge, also seem to have great value, even at a higher price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    You attacked the previous posters, your mail-man, Barnes & Noble, caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol all in a few lines. Yet I agreee with you...except that I have no trouble get good copies from my Barnes & Noble, YMMV I guess.
    I was overdue for a forum attack. There is one B&N location I can occasionally pull a good copy out of, but the last few times they were torn up pretty bad. Also, I apologize to caffeine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BTW, the "YOUTUBE" promotional code still works, apparently, if anyone's interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Strideristhebest View Post
    Sorry about the spammy nature of this, but I know that a lot of occassional US readers have been put off by Retro Gamer's high price and we've managed to rectify it.

Anyway, as of next issue you'll be able to buy RG from the likes of Borders and Barnes and Nobles for just $10

On top of this a subscription for 13 issues will cost you just $80, far cheaper than the previous offer.

To get this great deal just head to www.imaginesubs.co.uk/RET and type in YOUTUBE in capital letters.
    Hey, don't forget us Canadians eh!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I've read a few in B&N, nice and all, but not for $10. Toss all the reasoning at me you like, I don't see it as a value. I'll stick to randomly thumbing through one whenever I happen to pass through B&N.

Chasing the chuckwagon. schnuth's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like to pick up the thick collected issues for my collection But have found that at $5 a pop on the iPad for the occasional issue is a real cost cutter. If your not opposed to digital copies and have an iPad or other supported device, you can save some money going this route. There are also digital subscriptions available that can save you more money.

Aaron

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by schnuth View Post
    I like to pick up the thick collected issues for my collection But have found that at $5 a pop on the iPad for the occasional issue is a real cost cutter. If your not opposed to digital copies and have an iPad or other supported device, you can save some money going this route. There are also digital subscriptions available that can save you more money.

Aaron
    I like having a subscription and all but the physical books take up a lot of space. I think I'm going to shift to a digital subscription in the near future because I've run out of room.
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    I opted to let my RG subscription lapse.

I'm just going to get the volumes DVD as released and read them on electronic devices.
    I thought about going that way as well to get the magazine.Sure that will take time,but it would be cheaper on my wallet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    I've read a few in B&N, nice and all, but not for $10. Toss all the reasoning at me you like, I don't see it as a value. I'll stick to randomly thumbing through one whenever I happen to pass through B&N.
    I feel the same way but a lot of it is really that it's a UK publication and they seem to heavily focus on consoles/computers we didn't get and the games that never made it either so there's nothing of nostalgic or interesting value on that stuff which thins out what good there is for such a high cost of entry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I renewed my subscription today. However, the YOUTUBE coupon code would no longer work. Instead I used the code CLASSIC, which lets USA customers have a 13 issue subscription for 50GBP. In today's exchange rate this works out to $65 (or $5 per issue).
    Sega Saturn USB DataLink - www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gameofyou View Post
    I renewed my subscription today. However, the YOUTUBE coupon code would no longer work. Instead I used the code CLASSIC, which lets USA customers have a 13 issue subscription for 50GBP. In today's exchange rate this works out to $65 (or $5 per issue).
    Thanks for that, I'm going to have to subscribe now. I usually pick up the latest issue at Barnes & Noble, but the only store that ever has it on a fairly regular basis has shut down, along with one or two other locations I sometimes hit. None of the stores that are left have large magazine selections, so it's going to get pretty hard for me to locate new issues from here on in. Guess it's time to start getting them by mail now. I also used to check for new issues in B&N stores on my thrift store hunts, but since I can't find anything anymore, I'm not doing that very much either. And the Retro Gamer magazine app on my iPod Touch was basically unreadable. Nice idea, but it's just not the same as a real paper magazine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Awesome! Big thanks gameofyou!

I have two issues left and am going to resubscribe this weekend after i get payed. The mag is a bit expensive, bit with limited ads and quality articles i couldnt imagine missing an issue.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?