Thread: Gran Turismo PSP bundle arrives October 20 for $200 [Joystiq]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Gran Turismo PSP bundle arrives October 20 for $200 [Joystiq]

Click to embiggen.

SCEA has announced yet another addition to its growing lineup of PSP "Entertainment Pack" bundles. The upcoming Gran Turismo pack joins Rock Band Unplugged and Hannah Montana this October by packaging a "Mystic Silver" PSP-3000 with a UMD copy of Gran Turismo, downloadable white Corvette ZR1, 2GB Memory Stick, and vouchers for movie and music downloads from the PlayStation Store and Sony Music Pass.

At $199, the limited edition bundle seems like quite a bargain, especially when you consider how much cheaper it is than a PSP Go. The announcement of yet another PSP-3000 package reaffirms Sony's stance on supporting UMD as a format -- but also places into doubt the viability of ending PSP piracy any time soon.
    Gallery: Gran Turismo PSP

Gran Turismo PSP bundle arrives October 20 for $200 originally appeared on Joystiq on Wed, 02 Sep 2009 16:14:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That game is about 2-3 years too late.
    #vbender

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So....now they're competing with their own product?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    So....now they're competing with their own product?
    How are they competing with their own product? It's all PSP portables and PSP games, all they're doing is providing options.

They've said all along that the PSP-3000 wasn't going anywhere and that the UMD format wasn't being abandoned.

All they're doing is giving consumers a choice if they'd rather purchase a PSP Go and download all their games, or purchase a PSP-3000 and buy UMD's. In the end, they're all PSP sales.

If your talking about price, I suspect the Go is so much more because 16 gigs (I believe) of flash memory is pretty expensive, and when combined with such things as the sliding screen make the PSP Go much more expensive even without a UMD drive to manufacture than a 3000. Providing a pack in game is pretty cheap, it's just a UMD disc in a cardboard sleeve.

Anyways, I forgot what my point was besides to express confusion over what you meant.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-02-2009 at 05:14 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    How are they competing with their own product?
    Because they're trying to launch a new system*. It's not the same thing as coming out with two bundles of the same system, or different colors or something like that. Yeah, we know they're still going to produce the UMD PSP, but why launch a new PSP bundle so close to the launch of the PSPGO? Dumb.

*yes I am calling the GO a new system.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I think they realize that people in the market for PSP GO are not market-casual 1st time portable buyers.

They've gone on record as saying that they know the GO is priced for "early adopters" (ie the people who have no problem with price, they just want what's new), and there's no denying that - while many of us aren't "early adopters" there are enough of them out there to make the GO a success alongside the more cost effective bundles.

And the PSP 3000 bundles all seem to be great product offerings that ARE targeted at people who haven't picked up a PSP yet.

Yeah, they're sort of competing with themselves, but either way I think they're going to cash in.

It's a damn shame that the screen on the 3000 still uses that vertical resolution on the blue pixels that makes screen tearing so evident to long-time PSP 1000/2000 owners ... though people who have only ever owned a PSP 3000 don't seem to notice it much.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I just think that regardless of what market they're aiming for with the GO putting another PSP bundle out there is a distraction...especially one with what is arguably the system's biggest release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GT is still gonna sell huge though, and people can bitch all they want about the PSPGO's price, but it'll still sell pretty impressive numbers I'm sure.