Thread: Yakuza: The spiritual successor to shenmue?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Yakuza: The spiritual successor to shenmue?

I won't rant on about the awsomeness that is the shenmue world. it was so epic. the weather system and the changing of seasons, shopping at the little convinent store, buying soda at machines and collectables, playing mini games, making phone calls at the public phones. heck you could even check the weather forecast . and the music! wow! the music score was half the game. and then going back to your house to call it a day. it was like living in the quiant town of yokusuka, japan.

shenmue 3 isn't going to happen. could Yokuza be concidered a spritual successor to to the shenmue series? afterall the the main character dose resemble a more adult ryo hazuki. hehe.

I was reading about the yakuza series today and the acticle was claiming that much of the original shenmue team worked on the yakuza trilogy. I remember when the first game was in development is was being hype as a japanese sandbox game set in the world of organized crime. minus the car jacking and mindless shooting of gta3 of course.

I don't want any spoilers about this game but would a shenmue fan appreciate this game? I saw some pics and it sure reminds me of shemue. like shopping in stores, pub mini games and winning prizes etc. I've head some even descibe it as ps2's shemue. that may be overstating but still looks like a fun game.

do you have a house or apt that you return to? don't tell me and spoil anything just hint please

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In short: no.

In long: nooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

This game is awsome. Any fan of Shenmue will like this one. Go out and buy it!

The sequel is pretty good as well
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

I Would have to disagree. I Think theres a nod to Shenmue's world design but Yakuza is more action based. It also doesnt drag like Shenmue.
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the question is...can you buy soda from vending machines don't answer that. nothing quite like quinching your virtual thirst in a video game. well i think i'll check it out. can anyone confirm if yakuza 2 works on a 60/80gb ps3?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

I think it's more like a spiritual spin-off rather than a successor.

Like Shenmue set in a big, sleazy urban environment with out that "neighborhood" feel of Shenmue.

I like Yakuza, but I loved Shenmue.

It isn't so much about the gameplay as much as that feeling of "Hey, I'm walking around and seeing things in Japan!" that I really like. Yakuza has the potential to give me that feeling again, and as I understand it, Yakuza 2 even more so. One reviewer said that they'd spent time in Osaka (I think it was Osaka) and he felt like the game got it spot-on.

Frankly, I'd wish they'd just make a game called "virtual japan" that would let me walk around Tokyo, Akihabara (sp?) and places like that. No fights, no plot. Just let me ride the subway, shop for Otaku crap and feel like I've seen it.

Seriously, I'd pay full price for a Virtual version of Tokyo. If they can create a fake version of New York for GTA IV, why don't they do an as beautiful version of Japan. oooo, that would be a good GTA game, GTA IV: Tokyo! Someone tell me that's in the pipeline!

Oh, yeah, Yakuza, I'm glad it exists but I want GTA IV Tokyo!
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

unless you can buy soda from vending machines, has a real time weather system, your own house or aprartment to return to then i think i may be disapointed.

about a virtual japan. jsut buy a $700 roundtrip ticket and go there in real life. I've been twice and i love it. lets just say the women know how to welcome you besides.........it's more more memerable enjoy it in real life. don't forget to fit in a visit a late night parlor for a lesson in japanese hardcore.......and i'm not talking about a music lesson .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyutah View Post
    can anyone confirm if yakuza 2 works on a 60/80gb ps3?
    I played it for a couple of hours on my 80gb PS3 and had no problems with it and there's no known problems from what I've searched, so it's safe to say it will run smoothly. It's the first Yakuza you have to worry about, the game did nothing but freeze on me at the very end of the game (I think it's an 80gb problem only), so be sure to have a PS2 available just in case.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Quote Originally Posted by mezrabad View Post
    . oooo, that would be a good GTA game, GTA IV: Tokyo! Someone tell me that's in the pipeline!

Oh, yeah, Yakuza, I'm glad it exists but I want GTA IV Tokyo!
    I've been saying this for awhile. It's even an island with major cities and country in between, it's perfect for the GTA III era formula. Steal a bike in Tokyo, ride into the mountains, shoot it up some of those big shrine steps and crash into a hill! Man I'd play that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't know if The World Ends With You actually reflects Shibuya in any way with any kind of accuracy, but TWEWY rocks the hizzle, so I don't really care either way. (I only passed through Shibuya on a bus; it looks way too crowded to be much fun for tourism.)

Sega has yet to botch up Yakuza the way they've botched up Sonic and everything else, no?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

shenmue 3 will happen...........one day....one day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnFan View Post
    shenmue 3 will happen...........one day....one day.
    Yes it will. We must not give up...........
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

dude shibuya rocks man! it's crowded sure but who cares? japan is crowded. when i was in japan i was living near Yoyogi station. about 5 minutes walk from yoyogi station. i was was right between harajuku and shinjuku. I loved it!!! I could walk to harajuku/shinjuka from my gaijin house in like 20mins. shinjuku was about 15mins walk. There used to be a really cool starbucks/yahoo cafe in harajuku that i used to go check my email like every other day. my last trip to japan it was closed down >.<

but man i could live on soba shops, moss burger and freshness burger. I also ate at this fast food rice bowl shop all over tokyo. I forget the name but they would serve this large rice bowl with beef strips in it. it was only like 500yen. I would say moss burger was my fav.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

dude shibuya rocks man! it's crowded sure but who cares? japan is crowded. when i was in japan i was living near Yoyogi station. about 5 minutes walk from yoyogi station. i was was right between harajuku and shinjuku. I loved it!!! I could walk to harajuku/shinjuka from my gaijin house in like 20mins. shinjuku was about 15mins walk. There used to be a really cool starbucks/yahoo cafe in harajuku that i used to go check my email like every other day. my last trip to japan it was closed down >.<

but man i could live on soba shops, moss burger and freshness burger. I also ate at this fast food rice bowl shop all over tokyo. I forget the name but they would serve this large rice bowl with beef strips in it. it was only like 500yen. I would say moss burger was my fav.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zthun
    PSN
    Zthun
    Steam
    Zthun

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    Our hope will not die...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just thoguht of a good movie idea. it's inspired by that adam sandler adn brandon fraisermovie about the band that stroms the radio staion adn forces them to play the demo tape .

a small group of ameican/canadian and euro gamers go to japan storm segas of japan HQ. kid nap team shenmue and force them to finish the shenmue saga under our supervision for a holiday 2011 release on ps3/360 ofcourse we get free signed copies.

sure we will all go to jail but hey, we will have shenmue 3 built on the rage engine featuring over 120+ hours of gameplay including a next gen magic weather system. man you wana talk about in game collectables?! in this game there are used schoolgirl panty vending machines. collect all 10! ;D

if you order the limited edition of shenmue 3 you get a signed art book, coffee mug, ryo's girlfriend blow up doll, ryo's brown leather jacket, a replica pheonix mirror, tiny resin 1/80 scale model recreation of dobuita, rerelease of shenmue 1 and 2 bullt on shenmue 3 engine, a sealed, finished and complete shenmue
    saturn game signed by yu suzuki (requires sega saturn to play)

damn I want my shenmue 3!!! Will some one on here write a new, long review of shenmue w/pics for nastalgic purposes? it would make a great read.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyutah View Post
    damn I want my shenmue 3!!! Will some one on here write a new, long review of shenmue w/pics for nastalgic purposes? it would make a great read.
    You really can't do much better than http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/shenmue/shenmue.htm . In fact, I was glad when I finally read that, because until then I had yet to read something that actually talked about what you did in the game, aside from ask people about sailors.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    You really can't do much better than http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/shenmue/shenmue.htm . In fact, I was glad when I finally read that, because until then I had yet to read something that actually talked about what you did in the game, aside from ask people about sailors.
    Agreed, that is a really good sum-up of the entire game as well as frank (and accurate) analysis of it's pros and cons. Thanks for posting that link!
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    Give it up
    Do as I say
    Give it up and let me have my way...