Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Demon Souls: The PS3 Sleeper Hit of the Year?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Demon Souls: The PS3 Sleeper Hit of the Year?

This game looks so awsome!!! Seems so fresh and beautiful. the trailer just pulls you in with the it's dark, epic musical score. i hope that is music from the game. the presention comes together for a very gothic epic style. this game is coming out in october but the japanese/asian version has english voice over and and also english subtitles. I think this game will be the sleeper hit of the year, especially with everyone's attention on modern warfare 2, assasins creed 2, dantes, inferno, dragon age and even nba2k10. demons souls will slip in through the back door on oct ,6. It's getting special edition treatment as well. sweet.

I watched some early reviews and many fans are calling it a Kings Field spiritual sequel. people are describing it as a cross between Oblivion and diablo. they also say it's wicked hard and addictive. Anyone here pick it up yet?

I have a off-topic question about the kings Field series. How dose it compare to the elder scroll series. Is kings field series open world like elder scrolls? teh last elder scrolls game i played was Daggerfall and i loved it. lol it's been a while. damn... that was on my compaq pentium 133 in 1997

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

demons souls looks sexy as hell and the gameplay is great, but the game is *really* hard. hard to the point where i'd guess 70% of all players giving up after a few hours of gameplay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Reminds me of old school King's Field mixed with Baldur's Gate and cranked up to 10!

PS3 killer app imo. Already preordered.

Btw, I always preferred King's Field to Elder Scrolls. The gameplay was much more addictive, fun and atmospheric. Elder Scrolls involved too much down time for my liking, King's Field was much more action oriented and linear, but the control you had over your character, environment and weapons was much more personal and involved. You felt like you controlled it all instead of just button mashing.
    Last edited by BHvrd; 09-05-2009 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

From what I read the preview, it is a spiritual sequel to King Field. I preorder it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roflaid

Ill get it when I get a ps3 it looks good.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

It'll be either this or Batman that's game of the year.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    It'll be either this or Batman that's game of the year.
    I can't imagine Demon's Souls being game of the year. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great, but it clearly is not something I would recommend to all of my friends and I would say that even many people who enjoy RPGs won't necessarily like this game. This is one game I would suggest renting or borrowing from a friend before spending the money to buy it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Demon's Souls will never get game of the year. It WILL be a sleeper hit though. I've got the Asia edition in English...and it's DAMNED good. Easily one of the best games of this year IMO. However...it's INSANELY hard and completely unforgiving. And I mean COMPLETELY....to the point where even if you wanted to attempt to make it easy in any way, they've blocked it.

Even if you turn the power off to your PS3 the INSTANT you die....it still manages to save your failures And the weakest enemies can flat out obliterate you. Not to mention the bosses are so intimidating....I'm afraid to fight some of em....actually afraid to. I can get to em...but I don't want to! Yeesh.

That being said, it's online play is genius...minimal interaction, neat concepts, the game is BEAUTIFUL, the gameplay is challenging, and the game is FUN. It's also a complete time-suck...you can't just sit down and play for a few minutes.

Having the Asia edition...I still preordered the LE from Atlus....partly to have a US one, partly for the soundtrack and artbook (the music is beautiful btw) and mostly for the strategy guide in English...cause this one is tough as nails!

I may actually preorder a SECOND copy of the LE...and just leave it sealed....
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the game is indeed a BEAST, but it's From Software's absolute best work (and a bit of revenge on folks who want an easy ride in their game experiences). I played a bit of the Asian version to know it's amazing and yep, the difficulty is killer on purpose. The unforgiving nature works for me, because unlike other RPGs, this is one game world where you always feel like death is right around then next bend and that keeps things constantly tense.

I think the game will make more than a few top 10 or top 20 PS3 lists at year's end just because it does a few things as good as or better than other genre games while appealing toward "hardcore" players who seem to get bored at games that are too easy. And yup, the music is brilliant - the entire soundtrack in now on my hard drive as of yesterday.

My review copy is on the way and I expect to be buried in the game for quite a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default kings field 5....droooooooooooooooool!!!

Nice...everyone loves this game. it's not out yet in the states an it already has a cult following.
    man i just can't get that music out of my head...love it love it!

I was looking at early previews of the game and it was being dubbed : "kings field 5"

I'm getting a ps3 soon and thought about importing this or siren(huge horror fan). I may import Siren and wait for the DS state side L.E edition release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I imported both this and Siren.....and compared to Demon's Souls, I barely even TOUCHED Siren.

I'd have to say that Demon's Souls is already easily in my top 50 games of all time and slowly creeping up the charts. This one is gonna blow a LOT of people away long-term.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've mentioned this game a few times. I swear it's gonna end up making me get a PS3!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Awesome, I loved the King's Field games. Looks like PS3 will soon be getting some more RPGs and a nice variety of styles.

What I liked about King's Field was being able to openly explore the areas looking for treasure, fighting enemies to your heart's content but still having a main objective or goal(s) you needed to do in order to complete the game. What makes King's Field easier to follow than The Elder Scrolls is that there are more caves/tunnels/passageways than open fields. In King's field one area usually leads right into another while The Elder Scrolls games let you out of a town into a large field that gives you many different areas to choose to travel to.

On PS One I noticed a game called Shadow Tower that plays like King's Field as well but I never really got into it and it didn't look like it was better or anything from the start.

Demons Souls does differ from their gameplay though as this is 3rd person while King's Field is first person. It would be nice if they did make a true King's Field 5 at some point in the system's life.
    Last edited by Rickstilwell1; 09-07-2009 at 12:03 AM.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Demons Souls does differ from their gameplay though as this is 3rd person while King's Field is first person. It would be nice if they did make a true King's Field 5 at some point in the system's life.
    Demon's Souls is from both Sony and From Software. There's references to King's Field but Sony didn't want them to make it like King's Field.

Also. Yeah. Shadow Tower wasn't too great. It felt too isolated in my opinion. I didn't play much of it before quitting(it was a friends.) Eternal Ring on the other hand was another good one, atleast better than Shadow Tower. I thought King's Field was the best one though(KF2 in Japan,) better than King's Field 2 which was also good. From what I've heard, the original Japanese King's Field sucked.

*edit*

Decided I'd pick up King's Field the Ancient City since it's one I haven't played.

Also. If you like Demon's Souls, I'd recommend picking up From Software's other third person games that are sortof similar. Evergrace and Forever Kingdom. You might want to look into them to see if you'd like them, but they're really good I think.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 09-07-2009 at 01:23 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well Siren is a completly different kind of game created by the original silent hill team. but I agree man. this game came out of no where and blow me away.

Demons souls, Siren, Last guardian and mgs4 games really sold me on the ps3! my 360 dvd drive is slowly going bad. i'm selling and getting a ps3

Insert Coin (Level 0) ShinGundam's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Demons souls, Siren, Last guardian and mgs4 games really sold me on the ps3!
    I suggest both Uncharted 2 and 3d dot game heroes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

I was fortunate enough to get a press build of this game from Atlus, I have been playing it for a week now. It is by far one of the most polished Action RPGs I have seen on the console. The controls are very good.

It will be the sleeper hit. I am totally addicted to it.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I can't imagine Demon's Souls being game of the year. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great, but it clearly is not something I would recommend to all of my friends and I would say that even many people who enjoy RPGs won't necessarily like this game. This is one game I would suggest renting or borrowing from a friend before spending the money to buy it.
    I can't even imagine Batman AA being game of the year.
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't imagine Batman NOT being GOTY. Honestly. It's got all the markings of it.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Demon's Souls is not GOTY material. It transcends the years!

Sort of like WoW except not as much of a cancer.