Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Demon Souls: The PS3 Sleeper Hit of the Year?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords View Post
    I can't imagine Batman NOT being GOTY. Honestly. It's got all the markings of it.....
    With Uncharted 2 and Modern Warfare 2 coming out this year, it's hard for me to believe that Batman would win the most Game of the Year awards from review sites. I definitely wouldn't complain though, it seems deserving enough.

Anyway, I'll probably be buying this game. I'm kind of tired of sword action (and action RPG) games this generation and want some turn-based games....have to take what I can get I guess.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't imagine Batman NOT being GOTY. Honestly. It's got all the markings of it.....
    I disagree. Terrible boss battles(save for 2 IMO), lame ending, no real replay value unless you want to get high scores in the challenge mode, poor hit detection(every time Batman does a "cool" slow finish he completely misses). Its a good game, but it has a lot of room for improvement(I think 2 could be much better). Its a great fan service(the character bios are awesome), but its only ranked so highly because people love Batman since Christopher Nolan took over the movies.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Insert Coin (Level 0) ShinGundam's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CDiablo View Post
    I disagree. Terrible boss battles(save for 2 IMO), lame ending, no real replay value unless you want to get high scores in the challenge mode, poor hit detection(every time Batman does a "cool" slow finish he completely misses). Its a good game, but it has a lot of room for improvement(I think 2 could be much better). Its a great fan service(the character bios are awesome), but its only ranked so highly because people love Batman since Christopher Nolan took over the movies.

If you took the game without all the Batman references it would still be a good game. As Batman it's even better because it sticks to the source material so well and a character we love. The ending isn't really great, but it's similar to what would happen in the comics/animated series.

Also. There are two boss battles against the same boss that are good, but I'm not going to mention anything for those who haven't played the game. Then Poison Ivy is a decent boss battle. The rest of them aren't really that great as they're all the same pretty much.

It has its flaws, but there's no denying it's a great game, especially for an action/adventure game its length and the amount of content it has as a one player game.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

AA is rated so highly in part because of the recent movies I'm sure but its also a very decent game and provides alot of fan service. Ghostbusters did much the same thing with regards to fan service but I doubt it will make GOTY even though I enjoyed it greatly. AA will definitely be in the top 10 best games of the year but I'm not sure if it will beat MW2 at least in some circles. There are really WAY too many people who hand out GOTY awards to be honest.
    However I predict Eat Lead will be GOTY above all
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back OT, Im not sure how this game will do. Fanboys are hyping the hell out of it, so that should help sales. Most people that have played it on the forums I am on have very mixed reactions to it, so I think the meta score will be between 60-80.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm surprised to see how many western game magazines are raving about this game. Everyone that imported this game seems to love it. when it launched in japan it sold really well. in fact it sold out at many retailers. it sold almost 40k in it's first week and sold many ps3's. that's pretty good for a western style rpg in japan.
    Last edited by jonnyutah; 09-11-2009 at 09:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roflaid

How has everyone played this game already? Gamestop.com says it's not out unless there's a typo or something?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Therealqtip View Post
    How has everyone played this game already? Gamestop.com says it's not out unless there's a typo or something?
    It's English if you import the Asian version.

--

I'm also curious, if I purchase the deluxe edition do you think I'll pretty much get my money back if selling the soundtrack, artbook, and guide later on? Or do you guys think that just like all of Atlus other recent special editions that they'll print this "deluxe edition" to be just as common as the standard edition?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh....I'd be tempted to buy off someone's Deluxe Edition extras just so I don't have to open my game....being as I already have the Asia edition.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thsi game could be the panzer dragoon saga of the ps3. especially if they don't print a ton of copies. if the game sells really bad in the west and become really rare it could even be in panzer dragoon saga/radiant silvergun category.

remember it's not the huge mainstream hits that get re-releases and re prints that end up being the collectors gold mine. it's the rare, hardcore game that no one bought. sort of like fine art.....dosen't become pricless untill it's hard to find and the original painter has passed.

if you get a L.E verion i'd keep it sealed and in a safe place. there just something about this game that has panzer dragoon saga collectability all over it.
    Last edited by jonnyutah; 09-13-2009 at 09:24 PM. Reason: misspelling

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyutah View Post
    there just something about this game that has panzer dragoon saga collectability all over it.
    Maybe, but like kupo said, it also has "Atlus" written on it. Which means it's an RPG that seems like it would end up hard to find but usually isn't.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

thsi game could be the panzer dragoon saga of the ps3. especially if they don't print a ton of copies. if the game sells really bad in the west and become really rare it could even be in panzer dragoon saga/radiant silvergun category.

remember it's not the huge mainstream hits that get re-releases and re prints that end up being the collectors gold mine. it's the rare, hardcore game that no one bought. sort of like fine art.....dosen't become pricless untill it's hard to find and the original painter has passed.

if you get a L.E verion i'd keep it sealed and in a safe place. there just something about this game that has panzer dragoon saga collectability all over it.
    Extremely unlikely. This game is being released in two versions and is being widely distributed. Nothing that Atlus has released in the past two years has been rare in any way. If you buy this game, it should be to play and enjoy it. Spending $70 in the speculative hope that this is going to become something in demand is a foolish waste of your money. If anything is going to become rare in this generation, it's going to be something with little hype, limited distribution and probably not in a genre like RPGs with a huge fan base nowadays.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Heh....I'd be tempted to buy off someone's Deluxe Edition extras just so I don't have to open my game....being as I already have the Asia edition.
    How about we make a deal? I'll buy the game and sell you the extras for $35. Half off ^_^.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nah, no chance. If you want a current gen collectible go after the Uncharted 2 LE, not this one.

I hope they release a demo for this, I would like to try it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roflaid

oh wait this is an atlus game? does that mean this game is going to become semi rare?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Therealqtip View Post
    oh wait this is an atlus game? does that mean this game is going to become semi rare?
    There hasn't been a semi rare game from Atlus since SMT Nocturne. This game is no longer rare as they've reprinted it no less than three times.

Atlus has gotten pretty big since the 32/64bit days where the releases were actually rare due to limited printings. Now they're just like you're regular developer but they whore out games left and right, rarely being a good one anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roflaid

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    There hasn't been a semi rare game from Atlus since SMT Nocturne. This game is no longer rare as they've reprinted it no less than three times.

Atlus has gotten pretty big since the 32/64bit days where the releases were actually rare due to limited printings. Now they're just like you're regular developer but they whore out games left and right, rarely being a good one anymore.
    hm i must be thinking something else or something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hey guy and gals the game is almost upon us!

I highly recommend everyone who is getting this to watch this guys playthrough http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKuCP...94B40D&index=0 as it gives you the pace and idea of what the game is like as his playthrough only makes it so far and he quits in frustration.

Kinda hard to spoil the game by watching as it is so challenging anyway and I think this is less spoiling than reading guides and faqs.

Watching this has gotten me more ready and honestly even more excited as it's some of the best gameplay video out there and really shows what the game is about..... hardcore action RPG/Survival. It really warms my metacarpals to see a game that envelops the gamer so, should be a game that lasts.

Perfect Halloween game.